Alternative Social Media...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
05-31-2020 09:00 PM
25 Replies, 773 Views

Old 09-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Terran
Evil Dead

Recommend - CCW

Any recommendations for best concealed carry weapon? I'm looking in particular for a 380 (unless others have another recommendation?). I would like a laser site on it, to have a bit of heft to it (but not too much) to prevent excessive recoil, and to not be too difficult to operate single-handed when necessary for my wife.

Appreciate any ideas/thoughts anyone may have. Thanks in advance!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Any recommendations for best concealed carry weapon? I'm looking in particular for a 380 (unless others have another recommendation?). I would like a laser site on it, to have a bit of heft to it (but not too much) to prevent excessive recoil, and to not be too difficult to operate single-handed when necessary for my wife.

Appreciate any ideas/thoughts anyone may have. Thanks in advance!
Before I get into my opinion on this, I'll layout my biases: I personally carry a Glock 19 or 26 (both 9mm), depending on what I'm wearing. I don't worship Glock or any other brand, I just have found them to work for me. While caliber does obviously affect things, shot placement is the most important part -- the higher capacity magazine, generally, the better. I'm not big on feeling a need for a 45 ACP due to highly specialized 9mm rounds that get, what I feel at least, to be more than acceptable terminal ballistics and generally being able to carry more ammunition. Yet I believe for me a 380 doesn't close the gap over the 9mm because a Glock 26, while slightly thicker, carries the same amount of ammo (10 +1) as the "max" stock setting for the 380 Glock.

Crimson Trace is a popular manufacturer of lasers for handguns.

Has your wife fired a handgun before? Has she fired the calibers you're considering? Has she fired the handgun with the specific ammunition that she will have for her concealed carry weapon? Are you looking for a revolver or a semi-auto?

If you're carrying a firearm, you should be, in my opinion, carrying condition 1 (round in chamber, weapon on safe, ready to fire). Where does she plan on keeping this firearm when carrying it? On her person? In a purse?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

I am just beginning the process of figuring out what concealed handgun would be best (a personal and subjective opinion, I know) for personal self-defense. We've had the Walther PK 380 and Diamondback 380 recommended by friends. We will be going to a firing range soon to use a few different models. We also need to get our CCP in our state.

Frankly, we're just at the beginning of the process and I know little to nothing. It's just time for us both (wife and myself) to do what we've talked about doing for years.

My first step, besides this thread, has been to do some Internet research, and then I'm planning on hitting a local firing range to test fire some various handguns. Not sure when that will happen, since we only have Saturdays to do it and even those are pretty full.

My wife will be carrying the weapon in her purse. I would like a hidden holster of some sort on my person. I've fired a weapon (shotgun) before, but not a handgun. She hasn't in many years. Don't know what ammo we prefer. Something with reliable stopping power and a gun with reasonable accuracy and reliability (not a gun prone to jamming or difficult to use one-handed).

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Old 09-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Panteo Productions may provide videos that are useful to you. You can subscribe for $20, canceling before the next billing cycle (monthly), or purchase one of the lessons outright (usually over $20). (In particular: MAKE READY WITH TATIANA WHITLOCK: PRACTICAL CONCEALED CARRY FOR WOMEN)

I know nothing about carrying in a purse. As for carrying on you, there most important thing, from my experiences, is to build the muscle memory around how you're carrying and drawing your firearm. With that said, appendix carry is a very effective way to carry if you're body type and how you dress allows it:

Holsters that attach via clip are great -- if the clip is strong. You don't want to pull your firearm and bring the whole holster with it, of course.

Here is another system (Travis is biased towards his products, of course):

Now there are some respected firearms instructors that will NOT allow appendix carry in their CCW courses because there have been instances of people trying to go too fast and either shooting themselves or having a negligent discharge. Negligent discharges are always unacceptable.

Your stopping power really comes from your accuracy. I have shot an individual with a much more powerful round than you'll get out of any the pistols you consider (7.62x51) that did not did not stop someone with the first shot -- sometimes, like with antibiotics, people need more than one dose. Now this is where things get a bit tricky. You can, and people do, kill people with .22s. The issue is with consistency and reliability. When a bullet hits someone, they often do some really weird things. That's why a lot of people, to include myself, prefer hollow tips that have been thoroughly tested because you know the kind of expansion of the bullet to expect when you hit someone -- you're trying to cause as much damage to vital organs as quickly as possible.

Most popular firearms are reliable, not prone to jamming (assuming you're not using defective magazines or a damaged firearm, of course), and if you're using decent ammo. A lot of people will say that revolvers don't ever fail to feed but that's sort of a myth along the lines of "Macs can get a virus" -- there is no magazine, but cylinders do fail, although less frequently.

I've had a Glock magazine I've used for at least 8 years that runs perfectly and hasn't failed me yet.

My opinion for you is a magazine fed semi-auto in 9mm. 9mm is a standard round that has a ton of different rounds available to you (it's not what I'd consider expensive to get ammo for practice, and the higher cost defense rounds come in many different flavors).

I'd also recommend that you and your wife, if possible, look into attending a CCW class for a weekend (one where you shoot hundreds of rounds and work with guys that aren't simply NRA certified). These courses aren't designed to make you feel like you're in Delta Force and going to take on ISIS by yourself; they're setup to address how your clothes can become a hazard, what to do with it, how to safely carry, and other considerations.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Im looking into my girl and myself getting a ccw, well i have been for a few years now...We both work 3rd shift and are out and about in the city so its prolly a good idea. I am, to be honest about it not sure im chilled enough to carry just yet. I handled a glock 45 the other night. Feels great but is a little beefy and i think it could effect accuracy if you didnt have alot of practice with it.

Friends family are telling me to get a glock 26. So ill most likely go with that. Need to shoot one first.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Im looking into my girl and myself getting a ccw, well i have been for a few years now...We both work 3rd shift and are out and about in the city so its prolly a good idea. I am, to be honest about it not sure im chilled enough to carry just yet. I handled a glock 45 the other night. Feels great but is a little beefy and i think it could effect accuracy if you didnt have alot of practice with it.

Friends family are telling me to get a glock 26. So ill most likely go with that. Need to shoot one first.
While I have a 26, why are they telling you to get the 26? A lot of people, as seen in the videos above, can carry what is generally a better handling pistol (26 is 9mm) of the same caliber without giving away the fact that they have it. Judging by the picture you posted of yourself, if that's normal attire, you could get away with a larger in size firearm (I'm not speaking of caliber).

When you carry the 26, you're generally giving up magazine capacity (they do accept the larger magazines, but that sort of defeats the purpose of moving to the subcompact by having a magazine extending further outside the grip than it should).

If you're not chilled enough to carry -- don't. Carrying shouldn't make anyone (which I'm not implying you would) feel like they're Chuck Norris from Delta Force, actively seeking trouble.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
While I have a 26, why are they telling you to get the 26? A lot of people, as seen in the videos above, can carry what is generally a better handling pistol (26 is 9mm) of the same caliber without giving away the fact that they have it. Judging by the picture you posted of yourself, if that's normal attire, you could get away with a larger in size firearm (I'm not speaking of caliber).

When you carry the 26, you're generally giving up magazine capacity (they do accept the larger magazines, but that sort of defeats the purpose of moving to the subcompact by having a magazine extending further outside the grip than it should).

If you're not chilled enough to carry -- don't. Carrying shouldn't make anyone (which I'm not implying you would) feel like they're Chuck Norris from Delta Force, actively seeking trouble.
Not sure why they are recommending the 26 tbh. Smaller than a 45 yet bigger than something else? Im not up on my guns.

As for being chilled, i do mean handling the gun on a day to day basis. Not leaving it lying around, flashing people inadvertently, ect. Pointing it at asshats is not a worry, there are to many legalities to think about. I do understand what an armed situation is and what having a gun on you means.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Not sure why they are recommending the 26 tbh. Smaller than a 45 yet bigger than something else? Im not up on my guns.

As for being chilled, i do mean handling the gun on a day to day basis. Not leaving it lying around, flashing people inadvertently, ect. Pointing it at asshats is not a worry, there are to many legalities to think about. I do understand what an armed situation is and what having a gun on you means.
A Glock 26 is just a smaller version of the Glock 19 which is just a smaller version of the Glock 17 -- they're all shooting 9mm. They do make an even larger 9mm, the Glock 34.

26s are "subcompact," and the 19 is a "compact." The only good reason, in my view at least, to having the 26 is trying to have a small, more easily concealable 9mm pistol. It's not really that big of a difference in size, but you lose magazine capacity (from the standard mags for the model).
Old 09-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Roger that, yeah i think a glock 26 will be what i get when i do get one.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Just registered my wife and myself for our first CWP class ever. Unfortunately, it's a month out (they're booked), but that does give us time to shop around for a gun.

Need to visit a gun show or two.

Edit: Unfortunately, the next gun show is TWO months out, so...timing isn't great. Then again, I can try several different handguns before buying one, so perhaps that's for the best!

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down

Last edited by Terran; 09-18-2015 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Just registered my wife and myself for our first CWP class ever. Unfortunately, it's a month out (they're booked), but that does give us time to shop around for a gun.

Need to visit a gun show or two.

Edit: Unfortunately, the next gun show is TWO months out, so...timing isn't great. Then again, I can try several different handguns before buying one, so perhaps that's for the best!
I'd guess it's a mixed blessing; you don't want to be rushed into buying a firearm that doesn't really fit your needs or wants, but you also need the time with the gun to become proficient and comfortable with it to so degree.

For children at home, Panteo did release their "kids and guns" video for free on YouTube after an tragedy that occurred with a mother carrying a firearm in her purse.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

29 minutes fuck.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Went shopping today for a gun. My wife is eyeing a Ruger LCR 38 special pretty seriously and I'm deciding between a Walther stainless steel CCP 9 mm or Sig Sauer P938 9 mm.

Also picked up the bullets we'll need for our CCP class, as well as eye and ear protection for the shooting range.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
zeonxavier
Evil Dead

I've done research on the topic, but haven't carried in a while. (need to go to the local courthouse and put in an application again, the old one expired)

In a .380, I'd look at the Sig P238 and the Glock 42. Those have milder recoil than the tiny Rugers and Kel-Tecs. It's possible that you could find a deal on a Glock 42. The 43 stole most of its thunder.

If you choose to go up in size a little, 9mm becomes a possibility. Advantages? It's more powerful, and more affordable ammo that can be found anywhere. I've heard good things about the Sig P930 and the S&W Shield. Double stack designs like the Glock 19 or 26 can be carried too, but they weigh more and are harder for most people to conceal. I hate the way Glocks feel in my hand, and you may want to try a Steyr, Walther, CZ, or S&W before buying.

In a small polymer single stack like the Shield, recoil may make one-handed operation uncomfortable. That's the tradeoff of having a gun slim and light enough that you don't mind taking it with you all the time. But if it's too heavy and uncomfortable, most people opt out of concealed carry, and may not have it with them when they need it.

You'll need a good holster for whatever you and the wife choose.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-g...er-combo.html/

That brand's reviewed really well, and they're much cheaper when you buy two. I'm thinking of buying along with a neighbor of mine for the discount. Crossbreed and Comp-Tac are two other brands I'm familiar with.
zeonxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Squib loads are not unique to rifles or subsonic ammunition; they can also happen from hand-loaded ammo or manufactured ammo.

The biggest indicator is that there will be significantly less recoil, but you'll still hear an audible pop from the blasting cap and ignition of whatever powder is in the casing.

From the video, it didn't look like the bullet he pulled out had any actual rifling marks.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #16
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Something to keep in mind when carrying:Illinois Cop Killed With His Own Gun

If you're carrying a firearm, anyone can use that firearm -- distance is your friend in most instances to avoid the loss of your firearm. Police officers are often trained around the so-called "21-foot rule." This rule is that most police officers, despite training and having their firearms exposed, cannot reliably draw and accurately fire their firearm before an average adult male can get to them. So, if a suspect is within 21-feet of you, a holstered firearm is likely to be difficult to pull and aim by the time they've closed the distance.

For most people who carry concealed, this distance is even longer in reality. Obviously practice and being comfortable with your setup help with this issue.

The point is: Don't assume just because you're armed and another person isn't armed, or at least doesn't have a firearm, that you have a true advantage -- they can very possibly take that firearm from you.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Police officers are often trained around the so-called "21-foot rule." This rule is that most police officers, despite training and having their firearms exposed, cannot reliably draw and accurately fire their firearm before an average adult male can get to them. So, if a suspect is within 21-feet of you, a holstered firearm is likely to be difficult to pull and aim by the time they've closed the distance.
This is why I never understood why in TVs and movies the good guys (or bad guys for that matter) ever let someone within kicking or punching range when they have the gun and otherwise have control of the situation.

Stay the hell away and you win you numbskulls! This is the time to buy though. More politics around gun control coming soon. It will be THE agenda item for the next 15 months since Obama can't do much more damage internationally he can focus all his energy domestically.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

My 2 cents...
Go to a store, and hold as many guns as you can. Everyone has a different feel, and what works for you may not for your wife.

2nd, shoot as many as you can, once again to get a feel for them.

I CC a 9mm most of the time, but also a .22. I'm of the strong opinion of how many shots I can get down range VS stopping power.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
My 2 cents...
I CC a 9mm most of the time, but also a .22. I'm of the strong opinion of how many shots I can get down range VS stopping power.
I agreed except for the .22; I don't trust rimfire.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #20
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
I agreed except for the .22; I don't trust rimfire.
I can understand that, but I love my Ruger SR