Today 02:44 AM
4 Replies, 757 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #21
Kheldar
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Um... they don't really even answer that question. Leto's character hints that Decard is a replicant, just like Ridley Scott has been saying for 30+ years, but they never flat come right out and say it.

That's another glaring error in the film, it doesn't even answer one of the oldest fan questions of the first film.
Leaving that question up to the viewer is part of the reason--along with its ahead-of-their-time visuals and setting--that the original movie has evolved into such a cult classic after flopping in theaters. I happened to come away from seeing it with the feeling that Deckard IS a replicant because he was able to conceive with Rachael, but that's just my personal interpretation and is the very point of leaving it somewhat ambiguous.

Another interesting take on the topic of pacing over at Wired.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #22
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I didn't think it was a bad film at all. I thought it was bordering about as good as it gets when it comes to sensory/atmosphere at times. It felt heavy and bleak, dystopian, backdropped by neon, by illusions, lies and technology. The world was captivating enough. I also didn't mind the story. When it was moving along. If it were a 2 hour movie, I would have loved it. It wasn't even that I, as an audience member, was simply too lazy to enjoy the meandering film. The pacing was legitimately off. As Vallor said, both San Diego and Las Vegas could have been cut drastically. The first half of the movie was fantastic, IMO. It just started to linger on scenes that were too busy expressing themselves, artistic scenes that went on way too long. If it would have cut to the chase at the 2 hour mark, 2 things would have happened. My ass wouldn't have been stiff as a board when I left the theatre for sitting for 3 straight hours, and I would have liked the movie a lot more.

I couldn't begin to bring myself to say the move "stunk" though. It was better than that, IMO.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #23
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's part of the point of writing more story is to fill in the holes you left out once before and show people stuff they didn't see.
This is literally the argument for midichlorians.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Too often lately this site is just "anti-"... like it's a mission now or something.

I used to come here for intelligent, balanced, thoughtful reviews on things video games/film/comic/etc.

"It stinks"???

Sigh.
Welcome to Evil Avatar: Everything is hated here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
It is a well known fact around here that while Evil is a benevolent overlord, his opinions are always objectively wrong.

If you're a fan of the first film or dystopian cyberpunk in general, watch this film in confidence.
I do typically use his opinions as a gauge. If he hates it, it's probably actually a decent novel/game/film. He's got pretty bad taste, overall...and that's okay.

He's entitled to his opinion and he didn't like the film. This is absolutely fine and I would never fault him for that.
As far as reviews go, however...this is one I'd toss out when attempting to gauge the quality of a film before heading into the theater. It's as much of an outlier as any review that would be overly positive.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #25
Kheldar
Death Knight

Quote:
How Jar-Jarringly accurate.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Lucas had been talking about midichlorians since 1977, when he was laying down the groundwork for what would become the Expanded Universe.

That's one aspect that has been around since the beginning.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #27
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

The new blade runner was amazing.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #28
ZAX
Lord

What I just wrote a friend (who loved it). 4/10:

Writing: 3/10. Dialog of a cheap sci fi movie.
Pacing: 2/10. A generic 45 min sci fi plot stretched out over almost 3 hours of interminable shots.
(re: writing, Jared Leto's scenes were almost unwatchable.)
Music: 5/10 I guess? Yeah, we get it, a synth key played all the time for the entire movie. Yay.
Production design: 2/10. They added virtually nothing to the universe. NOTHING. It's like he watched the original taking notes: "ok, ok, overcast, got it. Some sepia sun shots. Yep. And Japanese hologram ads. Check."
and then just recycled it without any soul or addition. We saw virtually no street culture, which was awful. All it was was monoliths and gray skies.
Hello? Where was the street culture?
Plot: 3/10. Felt like it was all stitched together from other generic sci fi movies. Oh, he has an AI woman he's in love with, gee, didn't see this exact shit played out in Her. Oh look, a Colonel Sanders figure is talking to me about mathematical perfections. It honestly was one of the most generic sci fi-plotted movies I've seen in years.
Then throw in 1-2 big plot holes to round out the experience.
TLDR there was NOTHING I liked about the movie, nothing. It didn't stay with me 5 mins after I left the theater.
Oh and Gosling was boring and flat as hell.
ZAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #29
ZAX
Lord

...Not to mention the fact that it oddly felt like an extremely low budget movie. Crowd shots, large (real) sets, etc. were all kept to a minimum or were non-existent, aka, what you see when a large concept film has to be done on a small film budget. It's like how Game of Thrones, when you think about it, is actually 99% comprised of soap opera-esque small scenes and shots.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #30
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I thought it was pretty awesome. It fits in nicely with part 1 and K was a great character. I think his love interest was also an amazing character and to me adds something new to the story. Does who you love and how you love constitue humanity? Just because they were both synthetic does it make their relationship/love less valuable in the universe? Fucking awesome. How do ppl not relate to this? Also Evil you are a cool dude. Always love the site man. But your tastes are in a world of itís own!! Hahaha

And to the age old question about Deckard. *SPOILER*(sry donít know tags)I like his conversion with Wallace at the end. How Wallace fucks with him and tries to confuse him and how Deckard gets frustrated and basicly tells him to fuck off because his memeories are his own and real. Because in the end itís all about how you feel. Your experiences and the actions you take in life. Not what others think or do. People want answers to what Deckard is. But really does it matter? If you knew one way or the other would it make a difference? To me it wouldnít and it makes me love the stories even more.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #31
ZAX
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I thought it was pretty awesome. It fits in nicely with part 1 and K was a great character. I think his love interest was also an amazing character and to me adds something new to the story. Does who you love and how you love constitue humanity? Just because they were both synthetic does it make their relationship/love less valuable in the universe? Fucking awesome. How do ppl not relate to this? Also Evil you are a cool dude. Always love the site man. But your tastes are in a world of itís own!! Hahaha

And to the age old question about Deckard. *SPOILER*(sry donít know tags)I like his conversion with Wallace at the end. How Wallace fucks with him and tries to confuse him and how Deckard gets frustrated and basicly tells him to fuck off because his memeories are his own and real. Because in the end itís all about how you feel. Your experiences and the actions you take in life. Not what others think or do. People want answers to what Deckard is. But really does it matter? If you knew one way or the other would it make a difference? To me it wouldnít and it makes me love the stories even more.
How is this up for debate?? They make this very clear in this universe, at least in this film- replicants are *substantially* stronger and tougher than humans, physically-speaking. Every battle in the movie of replicant vs. replicant seems rather evenly matched, but anytime replicant went vs. a human, the human gets turned to putty (think of when the evil corp. woman goes to steal the bones and decimates the coroner with one quick blow vs. all the other replicant vs. replicant fights in the movie.) This shit is crystal clear. When K fights Deckard, it's clearly a replicant vs. replicant battle. How on Earth do you think an 80 year old human would be capable of tossing around a 30 year old replicant the way he does? Are you kidding me? They go pound for pound, and furthermore, when the guards come and take Deckard away, he fights them as well. Either they're humans or replicants and in either case Deckard fights them like a replicant.

It's such a dead giveaway I'm shocked this is even an issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #32
ashikenshin
Subscriber

im just going to leave this here:

ashikenshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #33
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Dude. That video perfectly sums up my feelings about Blade Runner 2049. I should have written that rant myself, it so much sums up everything I was feeling about that movie after leaving.

The problem here is that Blade Runner 2049 is so forgettable on every level that 20 minutes after leaving the movie you can’t remember any of the details because there weren’t any details to remember.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:11 AM   #34
ZAX
Lord

Quote:
Dude. That video perfectly sums up my feelings about Blade Runner 2049. I should have written that rant myself, it so much sums up everything I was feeling about that movie after leaving.

The problem here is that Blade Runner 2049 is so forgettable on every level that 20 minutes after leaving the movie you canít remember any of the details because there werenít any details to remember.
Exactly, precisely, motherf'in this.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #35
Cranium
Dread Lord

I dug it. Didn't give me goosebumps or anything, and some scenes were lacking (the Gaff-character revisit, some of the junkard scenery was overly theatrical), but I was thoroughly impressed overall, both with visuals, storyline, cohesiveness-with and elaboration-on the original. Leto's performance in the teaser short was very promising but ultimately failed to deliver - way too "evil" for the Blade Runner universe. About as good a theater experience as is possible to get, post-videogames becoming mass market. Its just not as exciting a platform anymore. Oh, and thanks for the spoiler warning - way to ruin any opportunity BR 2049 virigins would have of disagreeing with you!
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #36
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAX View Post
How is this up for debate?? They make this very clear in this universe, at least in this film- replicants are *substantially* stronger and tougher than humans, physically-speaking. Every battle in the movie of replicant vs. replicant seems rather evenly matched, but anytime replicant went vs. a human, the human gets turned to putty (think of when the evil corp. woman goes to steal the bones and decimates the coroner with one quick blow vs. all the other replicant vs. replicant fights in the movie.) This shit is crystal clear. When K fights Deckard, it's clearly a replicant vs. replicant battle. How on Earth do you think an 80 year old human would be capable of tossing around a 30 year old replicant the way he does? Are you kidding me? They go pound for pound, and furthermore, when the guards come and take Deckard away, he fights them as well. Either they're humans or replicants and in either case Deckard fights them like a replicant.

It's such a dead giveaway I'm shocked this is even an issue.
Um.. Deckard doesn't even put a dent into K. haha K just looks at him like a fly. Also Deckard gets smashed by Roy in part one(when Deckard was 30 years younger!). Again I really do not care what he is. But if this is your argument it's not really a sound one.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #37
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

I saw this in a theater with about 8 people, in the recommended standard format. It was sci-fi orgasmic (big-budget/atmospheric awesomeness). I thought it did spur some new themes/thinking at least from me, such as those involving his software girlfriend. See it -- it's great.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #38
ZAX
Lord

Quote:
Um.. Deckard doesn't even put a dent into K. haha K just looks at him like a fly. Also Deckard gets smashed by Roy in part one(when Deckard was 30 years younger!). Again I really do not care what he is. But if this is your argument it's not really a sound one.
Doesn't he launch K over the railing?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #39
Terran
Evil Dead

Finally got my MoviePass card (took forever) and it worked like a charm (my wife and I will be back at the theater tomorrow to see Jackie Chan's flick). Saw Blade Runner and absolutely LOVED it. Terrific film. Transformers it is not (thank goodness!). They nailed the visuals, audio, overall atmosphere, and the story is solid and kept me interested the entire time.

Honestly, if you think this stinks I feel bad for you. You lack the ability to enter the world being offered to you! It's a great film. See it.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #40
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Don,t forget that Priss also beat the crap out of Deckard. Every Replicant he fights does. Which more than anything is probably an indication from the writer that he isn’t one.

And he would know, because all their cells have serial numbers, like the snake scale. If he was ever curious, he could easily have checked.

Tags
blade runner 2049, pure evil