Today 01:34 AM
11 Replies, 789 Views

Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Following Star Wars Game's Reboot, EA Denies Single-Player Is To Blame

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
EA recently announced the closure of Dead Space developer Visceral Games and the revamping of its single-player Star Wars game. Based on the wording of the announcement, it sounded as if its lack of multiplayer (or games-as-a-service hooks) was to blame, as EA said, "In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game ... It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design." This led to speculation about what the future of single-player games looks like. There had, however, been some indications that it was actually the quality of the game itself to blame, and a new Kotaku report sheds light on what's unfolded with the project over the past several years.

"Making games is hard," EA Worldwide Studios boss Patrick Soderlund told Kotaku. "That's not new, but it bears saying again because if anything, it's getting more complex. But that's what gets us up in the morning, we love it. We have amazingly talented people making games, and very powerful tools… but expectations are going up at an even faster rate. We see it when we talk to players. We see it in our own games, in the feedback people give us, and how they play. We see it from what other games people love…and which ones they don’t. There are a ton of factors."

Soderlund also explicitly denied that the game, codenamed Ragtag, was canceled because it was intended to be a single-player action-adventure game, similar to Uncharted. "This truly isn't about the death of single-player games--I love single-player, by the way--or story and character-driven games," he said. "Storytelling has always been part of who we are, and single-player games will of course continue. This also isn't about needing a game that monetizes in a certain way. Those are both important topics, but that's not what this is. At the end of the day, this was a creative decision. Our job is to give people a deep enough experience and story, and it's also to push the boundaries forward. We just didn't think we were getting it quite right.”
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Lousy quality did not stop EA from releasing the last Star Wars Battlefront title, which was complete crap.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

i guess i missed the memo where visceral games was in trouble. Never recovered from dead space 3 or what was the final nail in the coffin?
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Dead Space 1 & 2 were amazing. Dead Space 3 was fine, but not as good. I really liked Dante's Inferno; the God of War gameplay mixed with that story really made me happy. I liked the animated films of both those series as well.

Battlefield Hardline was a cool idea, but I didn't get into it.

Then they get assigned to make this Star Wars game and get closed down.

Fucking sucks.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Dead Space 1 & 2 were amazing. Dead Space 3 was fine, but not as good. I really liked Dante's Inferno; the God of War gameplay mixed with that story really made me happy. I liked the animated films of both those series as well.

Battlefield Hardline was a cool idea, but I didn't get into it.

Then they get assigned to make this Star Wars game and get closed down.

Fucking sucks.
While I do enjoy EA's hockey game I can't disagree that I very much dislike how EA has handled owned studios over the years. Pandemic shared a very similar fate and Bioware is on a downward spiral it seems.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Pleeeeeease coop campaign!!!!!
karaliusbronius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #7
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

YEAH bioware has been on a downward spiral since me 3, but it is a slow decay. i wont buy anything from them again
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:21 AM   #8
mixuk
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropist View Post
YEAH bioware has been on a downward spiral since me 3, but it is a slow decay. i wont buy anything from them again
You do realize that this will just lead publishers to think that such games are not of interest, and focus even more on mass hits like Battlefield of sports games.

End of the day, it is about running a business and seeing trends. If people don't buy certain types of games, less of them will be made.

This is not EA's own weird direction, this is them looking at the markets and demand.

If people would be flocking towards SP -oriented games, publishers would take more risks in doing them, and more of them would be funded. It is not rocket science, people vote with their wallets, and it has an actual impact, but maybe not in the way people expect.

What you might not realize is that they are not looking at people "not liking ME3" and taking that as let's make it better - what actually happens is that they are looking at people not being interested in SP adventure games overall, and the money will go towards different types of experiences (i.e. in this case probably social multiplayer experiences).

If you love SP games, you should demonstrate that by buying them, even though not all of them are perfect. If you don't, there's not much room for you to complain that pubs don't fund SP -oriented games anymore. And by you, I mean people overall having this sentiment, not you specifically.
mixuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
nuworldblue
Squire

Quote:
What you might not realize is that they are not looking at people "not liking ME3" and taking that as let's make it better - what actually happens is that they are looking at people not being interested in SP adventure games overall, and the money will go towards different types of experiences (i.e. in this case probably social multiplayer experiences).
I see your point, and there is some truth there, BUT to argue that EA doesn't understand in acute detail why it's games don't sell is absurd. All they need to do is compare the numbers from ME2, ME3, AND ME:SJW edition, and read a few comments online to figure out why Andromeda was a flop. Whether they pivot to shittier mobile-type games because of their tendency to screw them up is not a reason for me to buy their inferior AAA product.

They know why their games suck. They just don't care. Some people will buy them anyway. Until they don't. Then they will acquire another popular IP. And people will buy that. It's their business model. Star Wars? Guaranteed IP-zombie customers. Well I won't be one just so EA feels good enough about their shitty game to make more.

I say let them adapt or die. Don't buy their garbage. Let them become mobile developers.
Every age... is tainted by the greed of men. Rubbish, to one such as I, devoid of all worldly wants! Hm... maybe it's just the way we are. I'll stick you in my prayers. A fine dark soul, to you. -Lapp
nuworldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The excuse here is just that they can’t monetize a single player game. You aren’t going to be buying loot chests for a single-player-only title and so they want everything to have the same multiplayer component as everything else so they can sell you coins or gems to buy more loot chests to get more boosts and pointless cosmetics.

It’s a good formula for a good game, it’s crap if the game is crap and it is a shitty thing to do to people at full price. If that is the direction they want to go, the game should be free in the first place like Heroes of the Storm.

I imagine this idea of adding generic multiplayer to every game will not pan out. Look at Battlefront II. They realized that they needed a single player campaign to pull people in and they added one. Battlefront I pretty much died right after launch. It got a slight boost because there was a new Star Wars movie in theaters and then it just did the big nothing.

I think they fixed that for the new game. The problem here is what are they going to do with multiplayer for a tltle that has years of development as a single player only title? Tack on some generic death match with loot crates? That seems like it will just be a big fail. People will just keep playing Battlefield 1 or Battlefront II.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The excuse here is just that they can’t monetize a single player game. You aren’t going to be buying loot chests for a single-player-only title and so they want everything to have the same multiplayer component as everything else so they can sell you coins or gems to buy more loot chests to get more boosts and pointless cosmetics.

It’s a good formula for a good game, it’s crap if the game is crap and it is a shitty thing to do to people at full price. If that is the direction they want to go, the game should be free in the first place like Heroes of the Storm.

I imagine this idea of adding generic multiplayer to every game will not pan out. Look at Battlefront II. They realized that they needed a single player campaign to pull people in and they added one. Battlefront I pretty much died right after launch. It got a slight boost because there was a new Star Wars movie in theaters and then it just did the big nothing.

I think they fixed that for the new game. The problem here is what are they going to do with multiplayer for a tltle that has years of development as a single player only title? Tack on some generic death match with loot crates? That seems like it will just be a big fail. People will just keep playing Battlefield 1 or Battlefront II.
You hit the nail on the head, it's not that single player games are dying or there isn't an audience that will buy them. That's not the case by any means given the success of games like Divinity Original Sin or The Witcher 3. It's just that the so called AAA publishers like a EA, like an Activision or a Take Two, have a much harder time monitizing the fuck out of titles that don't have MP.

For everyone who bitches for example about microtransactions in a EA sports title, those same people say nothing that Take Two does the same thing, both NBA2k and WWE are full of microtransations. They all do it. It's not just EA.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
For everyone who bitches for example about microtransactions in a EA sports title, those same people say nothing that Take Two does the same thing, both NBA2k and WWE are full of microtransations. They all do it. It's not just EA.
You're not wrong; EA may have led the charge, but Take Two is nearly - or will soon be - just as bad.

I don't think they necessarily get a free pass, but their offenses are a little bit more recent and a bit less egregious. While there are apparently loot cares in WWE 2k18, they're not paid. They sell those Shark Cards for GTA Online, but they've also provided four years worth of free DLC and updates for the service.

With that being said...it's probably just a matter of time. What is free this year will likely come with a price next year.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I've read all the articles. I was angry at first, but my conclusion now is that EA was right to cancel it, the game sucked, and Amy Henning had to be taken down a notch for being so artst fartsy that her story wasn't going focus on the Force, Jedi, or Lightsabers.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead

Star Wars is going to kill DICE. Nice job EA, and derp to who ever sold DICE to them.

Tags
ea games, star wars