Spider-Man Open World...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 07:53 PM
3 Replies, 1,063 Views

Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

"Valve is Going to Start Shipping Games Again."

While speaking at a press presentation for shipping new games. They won't simply be focusing on software, however; hardware will also be key to their future development.

Quote:
"Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us, so thatís sort of good news. Hurray! Valve is going to start shipping games again."

"We arenít going to be talking about it today," continued Newell, "but sort of the big thing that, the new era we have in our quiver really is the ability to develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Newell compared the approach to that of Nintendo, who often work to match their hardware and software:

"Weíve always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo. When Miyamoto is sitting down thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario heís thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities, and he can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things.

"And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because heís designing the software at the same time thatís really going to take advantage of that. Thatís something weíve been jealous of and thatís something that youíll see us taking advantage of subsequently."
While we have yet to see what this new hardware-based approach will end up looking like, it will be interesting to see how a PC developer takes on a Nintendo-like approach in the coming years. Still, it's good to know that there will be more coming out of Valve than just a card game based on DOTA2.
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Bullshit.

Valve hasn't done anything except sell other people's games for more than a decade now. The idea that they can turn themselves back into a video game company seems pretty far fetched.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
thatlukeguy
Soul Reaper

Pffft... Valve? Never heard of them. Have they done anything in the last few years? Must be indie scene. /s
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

A microtransaction me too card game spin off of on your ancient properties doesn't make you a developer. It makes you greedy and lazy. If Valve had gone public and had to answer to shareholders we'd playing HL3 right now. Instead they made oodles of money on Steam privately, overpaid all their employees so they are rich, fat, happy, and lazy, completely eliminated all drive. It's like the aristocratic elite over there. Why work on a game when your whole team already has mansions and sports cars and just need to come in to work and push a few buttons to keep the Steam money printing machine going? A public company is always expected to grow revenue and CANNOT behave like that. When they put out Portal 2, saw this is sold like a blockbuster but weighed the dev costs vs how much money they got back vs just keeping the Steam machine going, they made the calculation that games aren't worth their time.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Bullshit.

Valve hasn't done anything except sell other people's games for more than a decade now. The idea that they can turn themselves back into a video game company seems pretty far fetched.
That was my snap reaction but they have made some very safe plays over the past decade? since their last game. TF was a good bet though it wasn't what we originally expected it worked for them. Portals 2 was fun. They bought the left 4 dead team and cs team. That has worked out but I got no idea what the left 4 dead team is doing. They tried to branch out with their steam box and other peripherals to give birth to the next gen. Didn't pan out. They are perfectly capable of creating a game yes. No question. But can they create something engaging that is on par with the rest of the industry after being out of the game for so long?

That is what I question.

But, do they have the revenue to keep trying til they catch up?

Yes.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

For me this is like when Microsoft says they are going to start doing PC games again.

vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead

Much like DOTA2, I couldn't care less about Artifact. At this point, I'm firmly in the "show me, don't tell me" camp. Until then, Valve is just another large publisher to me.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

can't wait for the source box and the half life 3 exclusive.

Potential left 4 dead 3 exclusives and team fortress 3.

after that, they might run out of exclusives.

However you ship with these launch titles, I don't care what hardware you're selling or what dev team you are, you'll sell on brand names alone.

but unless they're actually good, that'll be a one trick pony, after that cards played it's sink or float.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

If only they had a game for which people have been desperately waiting...
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

I bet is a hat sim or one more card game
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If only they had a game for which people have been desperately waiting...
It's a fucking joke, isn't it? They could wrap a ham sandwich in a HL3 box and sell it for $60, with instant $DLC (lettuce and tomato) and people would be falling over themselves to find their wallets.

I'm with Evil... they aren't really a game maker anymore

It'd be nice to that change, but it's doubtful.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Valve has simply become fat and lazy. They don't make games anymore, they buy them. They don't even create very intriguing or enticing sales events.

I find myself unimpressed, and have been for a year or two. They will remain where they are for a while due to simple inertia and the mass of customers who have bought into their platform, but if they don't get off their fat asses they'll get chewed up by someone else eventually.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I think I lost interest in Half Life well over a decade ago with the episodes clusterfuck. Valve's games don't matter to me. Even the formerly third party series like Left 4 Dead and Portal I played through once, uninstalled, and forgot they existed. The sequels are in my account and still have yet to add a single second to their gameplay time.

However, I am somewhat interested in the Vive and the Steam Link has been extremely satisfying (especially at $4).
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #14
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Steam machines with their crazy controller. What happened to them?

They trusted the lazy oems to make them a whole load of machines, with inflated prices, which doomed the entire project. Or people that already owned a computer laughed at the very premise of the thing. Valve... stop it. Gabe... Stop it. The people, supposedly, want Half Life 3 and LFD 3. That's it. Do it already.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:35 AM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I remember years and years ago when mobile started getting big one a bunch of people I knew tangentially formed a company with plans to make some amazing triple A games. In order to make it so they didn't have to worry about funding they started out making little mobile games.

But it turned out the mobile business was so profitable they couldn't justify spending money on other projects because the RoI wouldn't be anywhere close to what they were making on the mobile side.

Not sure what the final resolution was but it was interesting to see the people trying to decide between their passion and their revenue. We know what Valve has decided in the past decade, I'm not sure what would change all of a sudden to make them get any more interested in doubling down on games now.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I remember years and years ago when mobile started getting big one a bunch of people I knew tangentially formed a company with plans to make some amazing triple A games. In order to make it so they didn't have to worry about funding they started out making little mobile games.

But it turned out the mobile business was so profitable they couldn't justify spending money on other projects because the RoI wouldn't be anywhere close to what they were making on the mobile side.

Not sure what the final resolution was but it was interesting to see the people trying to decide between their passion and their revenue. We know what Valve has decided in the past decade, I'm not sure what would change all of a sudden to make them get any more interested in doubling down on games now.
Well youíre assuming they didnít ALSO have a passion for the business and distribution end of the gaming industry and concept. Gabe seems to be saying that they couldnít do both, for whatever reason.

Soon enough they were screwed by. Iíve fi on HL1, they have seemingly wanted to burn the industries distribution model to the ground and build up their own.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #17
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

I'll be the shill of the bunch and just say that these guys have been showing up to work everyday and doing something. I expect a masterpiece and I don't think Gabe will allow anything but.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #18
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

If I were valve, I would hire the black mesa team, and in combination with valve remake the entire half life universe in their new source engine.

I'm talking half life, decay, opposing force, blue shift, half life 2, ep 1 - 2

If they remade it from the ground up, I don't know bet they'd make bank, I'd wish I was invested.

And coop would be a nice addition for us who want it.

I'd pay 100$ for that if it came with a gold plated crowbar and Head Crab plushy.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
...remake the entire half life universe...
This is essentially what they need to do, overall. The first game ended on a good note, in that the story could have gone anywhere. They ended up writing themselves into a corner with HL2, which was ultimately intended to end the way the first did: The G-Man would put Gordan back into that weird form of stasis and pull him back out for when he was needed again.

They spent too much time on the Combine/Earth takeover/City 17 stuff, really.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #20
timmyd
Evil Dead

We need more Gordon Freeman and less Alyx. Although, at the end of the last episode it looked like we'd have a crying depressed Alyx centered game. Just remember, if Alyx was a real person, she'd have a beard.

My two girls love Black Mesa. I still have to take away the crowbar (mini) when they find it laying around.

I too say hire the Black Mesa guys, get a Gordon based script. Since Gman just drops him in anywhere, any alien environment with things to kill will do. All Gman has to do is tell Gordon these aliens threaten Earth.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artifact, games, half-life 3, valve