Yesterday 09:03 PM
4 Replies, 346 Views

Old 12-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Epic Launches Digital Games Store

Quote:
Announcing the Epic Games Store

For the past five years, we've been building tools enabling Epic to bring our games directly to players. We built the Epic Games launcher on PC and Mac featuring Fortnite and Unreal Engine; we built a worldwide digital commerce ecosystem supporting dozens of payment methods; and we gained great economies of scale thanks to Fortnite's growth.

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%

Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

Have a Direct Relationship With Players

People who buy your games automatically subscribe to your newsfeed so you can reach them with game updates and news about upcoming releases. The newsfeed is front-and-center. You’ll also be able to reach your players through email, if they choose to share it.

Connect with Creators

YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, bloggers, and others are at the leading edge of game discovery. The 10,000-strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program helps you reach creators, so they can help you reach players. If you opt to participate, creators who refer players to buy your game will receive a share of the revenue that you set (tracked by code or affiliate marketing link). To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months.

Developers Control Their Game Pages

As a developer, you control your game page and your newsfeed. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results.

All Engines Are Welcome

The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

When You Succeed, We Succeed

We’ve built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests. Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic’s 12% store fee, we’ll have a profitable business we’ll grow and reinvest in for years to come!

More details on upcoming game releases will be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday, December 6th.
unrealengine.com

While I admire the idea of someone trying to compete with Steam, I think most people just don't want to install another digital platform on top of Steam/Origin/UPlay/Battlet.net.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Skunk
Evil Dead

Don't forget GOG Galaxy.

Honestly though, Fortnite is their Half-Life 2 so there is no time like the present to launch this.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Folks will go to other digital storefronts for individual titles, but most will continue to buy much of their content on the one that rules them all and has the majority of their friends on it, and that happens to be Steam.

The more the merrier. Used to seem annoying, but it's no more annoying than having to install the actual game, which means it's not annoying at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Everyone already has the dammed thing installed due to Fortnite. I can see a LOT of unhappy developers and publishers (on Steam) moving to this platform.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Wow, 12% is unheard of for most developers. Valve and most others take 30% right off the top, and that's for every single transaction. In some contracts with Valve once someone has done one Steam transaction with your game they become a Steam client, not a <Insert Company> client and ALL transactions they do in that game have to give Steam the 30%.

I suspect this is one reason you can't un-entangle your Elder Scrolls Online account from Steam if you bought it on Steam. You can only ever buy anything from ESO off Steam from that point on. If you try to install the regular client and log in it will tell you to use the Steam ESO client.

I am not privy to the ESO agreement so this is just speculation based on what I've seen in some other drafted Steam agreements. There are some real shit deals for developers publishing on Steam.

I wonder what they'll do with creators who create in-game content (aka their version of "hats"). Right now Steam rakes them over the coals for like 70% in most cases.

If I had any of my games on Steam and I didn't have an exclusivity deal, I'd be creating an Epic version right now even if it didn't have as many features (Achievements, cards, etc) since it probably costs almost nothing to do.

Still, the Epic game center hasn't really been hammered like the Steam Client. i know it's genesis and some of that worries me, particularly from a security perspective. But to reclaim 18% profit on whatever may sell? I'd take the chance, screw Steam.

If only GoG Galaxy was a better piece of software and GOG actually had more current AAA games they could do it too, but their DRM-Free stance makes it tough on them.

Hopefully Epic has already talked to Discord about getting featured somehow. I can't believe even Discord has a freaking marketplace these days.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Wow, 12% is unheard of for most developers. Valve and most others take 30% right off the top, and that's for every single transaction. In some contracts with Valve once someone has done one Steam transaction with your game they become a Steam client, not a <Insert Company> client and ALL transactions they do in that game have to give Steam the 30%.

I suspect this is one reason you can't un-entangle your Elder Scrolls Online account from Steam if you bought it on Steam. You can only ever buy anything from ESO off Steam from that point on. If you try to install the regular client and log in it will tell you to use the Steam ESO client.

I am not privy to the ESO agreement so this is just speculation based on what I've seen in some other drafted Steam agreements. There are some real shit deals for developers publishing on Steam.

I wonder what they'll do with creators who create in-game content (aka their version of "hats"). Right now Steam rakes them over the coals for like 70% in most cases.

If I had any of my games on Steam and I didn't have an exclusivity deal, I'd be creating an Epic version right now even if it didn't have as many features (Achievements, cards, etc) since it probably costs almost nothing to do.

Still, the Epic game center hasn't really been hammered like the Steam Client. i know it's genesis and some of that worries me, particularly from a security perspective. But to reclaim 18% profit on whatever may sell? I'd take the chance, screw Steam.

If only GoG Galaxy was a better piece of software and GOG actually had more current AAA games they could do it too, but their DRM-Free stance makes it tough on them.

Hopefully Epic has already talked to Discord about getting featured somehow. I can't believe even Discord has a freaking marketplace these days.

Good question, I wonder if there is some kind of exclusivity you have to hand over to Steam once you're on the platform. Maybe not for all, but maybe for some.

Anyone know?

If Steam has them by the balls, then they might go only to the new platform (among other concerns) if designing a new game. But if they could bring existing games over and package them with Epic, then game on.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Unless every game is 20 bucks, I don't see this changing much, and going EA and the exclusive route just pisses people off, making your games forgettable, or lost in the sea of noise that is PC gaming these days.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Maybe this competition could get Steam to update their shitty client. Steam looks and runs like iTunes designed by the guy who does interior decorating for the First Order.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Meusli
Subscriber

With Steam increasing their shitty practices of censoring stuff I can only hope the extra competition gives us the gamers a better deal. I can't wait to see how Steam respond to this.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Maybe this competition could get Steam to update their shitty client. Steam looks and runs like iTunes designed by the guy who does interior decorating for the First Order.

I can't believe it's been this long without a major change. It's just so.... early 2000's in design.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I wouldn't mind the design so much if it at least performed well. But it's a sluggish application.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

There is an opportunity with Steam, as with any other content delivery platform, to provide something better at a lower cost to content providers. I think Epic will be able to grab market share away from Steam.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I wouldn't mind the design so much if it at least performed well. But it's a sluggish application.

And it barely works half the time. I can't tell you how many times it tells me I have an invite and then I click the message and it tells me I'm not logged in, or just doesn't redirect me at all.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Also, I find it weird that they effectively launched this without the announcement of any significant games or publishers onboard.

"More details on upcoming game releases will be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday, December 6th."

Ugh, why not wait until you can announce some games or publishers?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #15
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Ok. If games are cheaper on this new service I might buy games on it. If not I will use it only for fortnight.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Also, I find it weird that they effectively launched this without the announcement of any significant games or publishers onboard.
They really do not have to, since so many people have the client installed to play Fortnight, it is just a matter of now getting people on board to purchase additional titles from the client, rather than just Epic games.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
Azzy
Cthulian

I've been a fan of Epic for a long time, ever since the original Unreal, and I'm glad to see them using their new windfall to keep things moving forward.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I've been a fan of Epic for a long time, ever since the original Unreal, and I'm glad to see them using their new windfall to keep things moving forward.
I wish they were moving forward. They pretty much abandoned the single player portion of Fortnite and have spent over a year just figuring out how to milk unsuspecting noobs out of cash for skins.

They haven’t added a single new gameplay mode during that year or made any updates to the actual game itself.

Patch 7, which allows you to have your own exclusive island, is the first real “update” they have done to the game other than cosmetics in over a year. And that’s just taking the single player portion of the game and cutting out the missions.

Watch, their next update for the Island mode will be to add back the zombies... ie, turning the game back into the game it was meant to be in the first place.

What it really needs is some more modes. Domination, CTF, etc. Something for people to do when the Battle Royale craze starts to die down and people realize they are into a game for $300 worth of skins that only has one gameplay mode no one wants any more.

Tags
epic games, fortnite