Yesterday 06:33 PM
16 Replies, 1,509 Views

Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft Acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment

Quote:
Obsidian and inXile Join Microsoft Studios

As part of our commitment to bringing a steady stream of new, exclusive games to our fans, I’m excited to announce Microsoft’s intent to acquire two new game development studios – Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment.

Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003 in Irvine, Calif. by industry veterans from Black Isle Studios, led by Feargus Urquhart. The studio quickly made a name for itself with the Xbox exclusive Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Over the last fifteen years, they have delivered genre-defining RPGs to players on both console and PC through titles including Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Pillars of Eternity.

inXile Entertainment is a team of industry veterans with decades of PC and RPG expertise. Led by Interplay founder Brian Fargo, inXile’s two development teams in Newport Beach, Calif. and New Orleans excel at creating vast worlds for players to explore with titles such as Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Bard’s Tale IV and the upcoming Wasteland 3.

It was important for us to find studio partners who have strong creative visions, a mastery of their medium and are expert world-builders. Obsidian and inXile embody all of these qualities while also bringing expertise on the PC platform and a unique RPG focus to the table.

While they do share a common heritage, the two creative teams at Obsidian and inXile are very different. They will continue to operate autonomously with their unique talents, IP and expertise. As part of Microsoft Studios, Obsidian and inXile will have the support and freedom to fully realize their creative ambitions on both existing franchises and new RPG projects.

Together, the two new studios bolster Microsoft Studios to now include 13 distinct and diverse game development teams. We’re focused on implementing new Microsoft technologies, delivering content for new platforms and services like Xbox Game Pass, and creating exclusive games that turn players into loyal Xbox fans. We are committed to expanding the Microsoft Studios franchises players already love, and investing in new, exclusive content for every type of gamer.

It is a genuine pleasure to welcome Obsidian and inXile to the growing Microsoft Studios team and work with them to deliver bigger and more ambitious games for their fans. I’m excited to see the teams maximize their potential at Microsoft and can’t wait for what the future has in store.
news.xbox.com

Two more studios for Microsoft to gut and kill off. Other than Rare, every studio Microsoft has purchased has been destroyed and closed and Rare isn't much to look at these days.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The irony is it was a deal with Microsoft which nearly utterly fucked Obsidian 6 or 7 years ago to begin with.

If it hadn't been for that there might not be a Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter or an Obsidian as we know it for Microsoft to acquire. I wonder how much extra graft that particular nugget cost MS when they were negotiating just so Fergus could twist the knife a little.

Btw, I wish Fergus and his blood brother Brian Fargo over at the other newly acquired studio inXile, get genital warts forever after what they did to Interplay and the D&D licensed games near the end. Especially Decent to Undermountain. Which they built using the Decent engine for some reason then when they pushed it out the door unfinished as fuck decided to never patch into anything playable. All Fargo had to say was "Sorry, shit happens!" He can go fuck himself with a rusty chainsaw.

Yes, I hold a grudge even though I backed both Wasteland 2 and Pillars.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

It probably didn't help that PoE 2 sold like shit to be fair. I see that MS is again buying up mediocre, average, and dying PC devs for the most part since these devs will sell on the cheap. Sides most of the talent will probably bail.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
The irony is it was a deal with Microsoft which nearly utterly fucked Obsidian 6 or 7 years ago to begin with.

If it hadn't been for that there might not be a Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter or an Obsidian as we know it for Microsoft to acquire. I wonder how much extra graft that particular nugget cost MS when they were negotiating just so Fergus could twist the knife a little.

Btw, I wish Fergus and his blood brother Brian Fargo over at the other newly acquired studio inXile, get genital warts forever after what they did to Interplay and the D&D licensed games near the end. Especially Decent to Undermountain. Which they built using the Decent engine for some reason then when they pushed it out the door unfinished as fuck decided to never patch into anything playable. All Fargo had to say was "Sorry, shit happens!" He can go fuck himself with a rusty chainsaw.

Calm down vallor, jeez.

And honestly, the reasons for Interplay becoming a mess near the end are varied and many. I certainly don't hold them any ill will now. They've made and continue to make my favorite games (for the most part, not really a fan of the South Park game), and I'll back them until it is clear whatever creative spark drives them is gone. Or they decide to make a new company.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

MS is like a black widow. They'll crap out some children from their mating, but they're damned likely to eat their mate afterward.

They've done ONE good thing for console gaming, IMO: Online play (and one for PC gaming: directx). They dragged Sony and Nintendo online, kicking and screaming. MS made console online play happen. It would have eventually arrived with Sony and Nintendo, but not for a while, and MS set the bar for the experience. I'll always be grateful for that, and for those early days of Halo 2 and Crimson Skies online. Amazing fun.

Beyond that, gaming would be perfectly fine without them. They've just grown useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Fargo wasn't entirely responsible for what happened to Interplay, despite critical acclaim on titles like Descent, Freespace and the like, they were hemorrhaging money, Titus software who acquired them via a large cash injection around 98 or so because Interplay was about to go under, the primary owners of Titus software were two brothers, Eric Caen and Hervé Caen, both of who were shady as fuck and pretty much were practicing accounting fraud and cooking the books, much in the same way the original owners of Take Two Interactive were found to be doing the same which is how Take Two ended up being acquired by Straus Zelnik's private equity firm Zelnick Media Capital around the same time period.

The PC game market was not in a healthy state at that time.

And lets be honest here, Obsidian has been on the verge of going under for years now, just barely scraping by.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

What I see going on is that Microsoft is trying to salvage the Xbox brand by just throwing money at tons of smaller studios, which I do respect but without those big AAA titles people will keep buying the PlayStation.

Would you buy an Xbox to get Planescape 3 or a PlayStation to get Last of Us 2 or God of War 2? If they are going to use their bankroll to try to save the product, the money has to go to Studios that can crank out killer titles, not just little indie stuff like State of Decay.

I think Sea of Thieves could have been huge if they had taken 2 more years to finish it and add a campaign, they were just in such a hurry to have another exclusive that they screwed the golden goose and got the Wonka bad egg.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
What I see going on is that Microsoft is trying to salvage the Xbox brand by just throwing money at tons of smaller studios, which I do respect but without those big AAA titles people will keep buying the PlayStation.

Would you buy an Xbox to get Planescape 3 or a PlayStation to get Last of Us 2 or God of War 2? If they are going to use their bankroll to try to save the product, the money has to go to Studios that can crank out killer titles, not just little indie stuff like State of Decay.

I think Sea of Thieves could have been huge if they had taken 2 more years to finish it and add a campaign, they were just in such a hurry to have another exclusive that they screwed the golden goose and got the Wonka bad egg.
To be honest? I wouldn't buy a PS or an Xbox for any of the exclusives you just mentioned. TLOU was an overhyped pos with a god awful ending to the original release. GOW while pretty is a glorified action game where others have done it better. The first State of Decay was crap had zero interest in a sequel.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #10
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Just want to comment here so I can easily find this thread in 2 or 3 years. Unlike (apparently) most people, I take a wait and see approach. MS and Xbox are run by different people now. So we'll see what happens. Phil Spencer and Satya Nadella are doing a hell of a lot better than Steve Ballmer and Don Mattrick could have ever dreamed of doing.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:

Would you buy an Xbox to get Planescape 3 or a PlayStation to get Last of Us 2 or God of War 2?
Just want to add that I own a PS4 Pro. I own God of War and couldn't get into it. I liked TLOU but part 2 isn't looking that great.

The myth of PS exclusives is fun to watch. 3rd Party games are what really matter; both statistically and financially.

BTW, my favorite PS4 exclusive has been Until Dawn. Would give my left nut for a sequel!

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
wildcard
Soul Reaper

what they really need is mouse/kb support for all games and outlet to third party servers. It would open up a lot more games to console players. I buy the xbox for Halo, the controller, and I prefer Live. Mostly play PC so the play anywhere is really nice too.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #13
Skunk
Evil Dead

Agree with Wizzkidd. Games Industry isn't a static environment. Talent comes an goes (haha, DIORBLO!) and you never know what's around the corner as a consumer. There have been some low years in the past 2 decades but the highs are really good.

And at the end of the day if Microsoft is just going to gut these companies that will hopefully put them in a position to be more profitable (which is just good for the overall economy) and also pry loose experienced talent that can find a home elsewhere.

I think in about 2-3 years we'll see another huge jump in gaming. Something like another big Blizzard Launch, a Dice shooter that people actually want, etc etc.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
what they really need is mouse/kb support for all games and outlet to third party servers. It would open up a lot more games to console players. I buy the xbox for Halo, the controller, and I prefer Live. Mostly play PC so the play anywhere is really nice too.
How are you planning to use that mouse & keyboard on your couch? There is a good reason that these devices never caught on with console gamers... because people don't generally play console games while sitting at their desk.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
How are you planning to use that mouse & keyboard on your couch? There is a good reason that these devices never caught on with console gamers... because people don't generally play console games while sitting at their desk.
Folks might end up using stuff like this. My "computer/gaming" chair has been a recliner for the past seven years and I don't even use a lapboard; my wireless keyboard sits on my lap and the mousepad (with a hard surface underneath it) goes on my armrest. It's how I played TF2, D3, XCOM, and countless other PC titles for years. With a high DPI gaming mouse, you don't really need a lot of space for mouse movement.

You don't need a desk to use a mouse and keyboard.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Just want to add that I own a PS4 Pro. I own God of War and couldn't get into it. I liked TLOU but part 2 isn't looking that great.

The myth of PS exclusives is fun to watch. 3rd Party games are what really matter; both statistically and financially.

BTW, my favorite PS4 exclusive has been Until Dawn. Would give my left nut for a sequel!
THe Until Dawn developers are working on a new episodic adventure game.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post

Not for nothing, most of the best-selling games of 2018 are third-party titles. Yes, the giant exclusives like God of War and Spider-Man will be on the list...but they're sitting alongside multiplatform titles like Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Monster Hunter World, and the annual NFL/NBA/MLB releases.

Exclusives are great, but they don't drive the industry like they did 18 years ago. The PS2 had 463 games released exclusively for it. The PS4, on the other hand, only has 72 exclusive titles. The industry as a whole has shifted to multiplaform.

Tags
inxile, microsoft, obsidian