Liberals gone wild
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 08:27 PM
2,915 Replies, 393,417 Views

Old 11-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ralph Breaks the Internet Helps Stuff the Thanksgiving Box Office

Wreck-It Ralph carved out a slice of Thanksgiving happiness with an $84 million domestic take for the 5-day Holiday weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of November 23rd to November 25th, 2018.
  1. Ralph Breaks the Internet $55.6/$84.4
  2. Creed II $35.2/$55.8
  3. Dr. Seuss' The Grinch $30.2/$180.4
  4. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald $29.6/$117.1
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody $13.8/$152.0
  6. Instant Family $12.5/$35.7
  7. Robin Hood $9.1/$14.2
  8. Widows $7.9/$25.5
  9. Green Book $5.4/$7.8
  10. A Star is Born $3.0/$191.0
  11. The Nutcracker and the Four Realms $2.7/$49.1
  12. Boy Erased $1.1/$4.5
I'm a big fan of the first Wreck-It Ralph, but the sequel is pretty dull and lifeless. The best two jokes (the only two jokes) are in the trailer. There was a lot of opportunity here to poke fun at the big tech companies, and Disney didn't rattle a single cage. The only people Disney made fun of here is Disney.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Is the US Domestic box office sick of the reinvention of childhood norms into adult fairy tales? Since Avengers 2, we've seen Ant Man 2, Solo, Harry Potter and now CGI Princesses succeed at being marginally successful against their budges but fail to capture the droves of people that waited in line in recent decades to have their comic books and Disney VHS tapes come of age.

I think we may have reached a market saturation where the public yearns for the adult epics of old and, until we have a grandiose war film or love story spring until the screen, film receipts are going to continue to erode. Obviously other factors are at play, such as the long-held belief that living rooms that are more theater than parlor would destroy the box office, but I think the predominant reason has to be the sheer volume of material of similar nature that has emerged since the release of the original Iron Man.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Is the US Domestic box office sick of the reinvention of childhood norms into adult fairy tales? Since Avengers 2, we've seen Ant Man 2, Solo, Harry Potter and now CGI Princesses succeed at being marginally successful against their budges but fail to capture the droves of people that waited in line in recent decades to have their comic books and Disney VHS tapes come of age.
I think that in general Hollywood always seems like it is allergic to anything original -- except that you wouldn't have Wreck-It Ralph, Harry Potter or Ant-Man movies if they were afraid of doing new things.

It's true that they try to squeeze out as many "safe" films as they can and the public is totally consumed with flash-in-the-pan superhero-style summer blockbusters, but it is all this mass market crap that makes it possible for new series to get created and we will all bemoan how repetitive and shallow Hollywood is... until they come out with the next new thing and then we start clamoring for the sequel.

If anything, the audience is to blame. Who really needs a sequel to The Quiet Place? Or Wreck-It Ralph for that matter? If we weren't demanding it, they wouldn't be making it.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I get the feeling that people see some of these movies almost out of an odd sense of obligation. Wreck it Ralph 2 is a Disney movie so people just go. The first one was only good for the first 20 minutes or so and the sequel looks terrible. But here is is raking in cash so far.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I thought the second Ralph movie was great, so did my 7 year old. But don't bother seeing it in 3D, it adds nothing to this one.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Hood looked really bad. Glad it is bombing.
EL CABONG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

I saw Creed II this weekend, nothing much surprising but I enjoyed it.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
actusoul
Evil Dead

Ralph broke the internet was a great movie. We went with a group a kids/parents and everyone loved it. This is why its making money. I do not think people go to see Disney movies because of an obligation. Disney has the kid/family movie dialed in and their success is well deserved.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Ralph broke the internet was a great movie. We went with a group a kids/parents and everyone loved it. This is why its making money. I do not think people go to see Disney movies because of an obligation. Disney has the kid/family movie dialed in and their success is well deserved.
Obligation was probably the wrong word. “Habit” is more what I meant. I’m glad you enjoyed it though.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Obligation was probably the wrong word. “Habit” is more what I meant. I’m glad you enjoyed it though.
Disney movies used to be a lot less superficial and bubbly. They had darker tones and were more dynamic. It really does feel like the movie industry is feeding us sugar and plastic. Most movies aren't driven by strong character development and smart dialogue. Then we say "it was just about mindless fun anyway", but it really seems like almost all of our movies are "mindless fun" now. Including Disney's stuff. My son and I would much rather watch Sword in the Stone from the 60s or even the 80s Disney movies than "insert bubbly talking animal with fart jokes here" Disney movies of today.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I am sorry if it comes off as rude, but why do we care about Disney cartoons? I liked them when I was a kid, the cricket guy was cool and all the films of that time.

I haven't had kids, so I obviously understand that's probably why everyone gets off on Pixar films and I don't. But nevertheless I find myself again seeing the masses act like these films are some kind of required viewing. "Who cares" is all I think. I'll see them some day when my wife wants to see them and I can't get out of it. Sorry if it offends, that's not my intention. Just wanted to say what I've thought for years.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I am sorry if it comes off as rude, but why do we care about Disney cartoons? I liked them when I was a kid, the cricket guy was cool and all the films of that time.

I haven't had kids, so I obviously understand that's probably why everyone gets off on Pixar films and I don't. But nevertheless I find myself again seeing the masses act like these films are some kind of required viewing. "Who cares" is all I think. I'll see them some day when my wife wants to see them and I can't get out of it. Sorry if it offends, that's not my intention. Just wanted to say what I've thought for years.
It's not offensive. It's a different perspective, sure but you didn't exactly come in swinging. I think Disney used to (and at times still can) make movies that appeal to both adults and kids even though the main aim was kids. Pixar excelled at this for a time. When you have kids, that becomes doubly important because it's nice when the whole family is truly enjoying the movie. I can sit and watch some of the shows my kids watch but it does tend to drive you crazy after a while. And the kids do appreciate it when their parents are having fun with them instead of just tolerating what's going on.

And Patrick, I think you're spot on with your post.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart