PUBG Performs Badly on...
Last post by wunshot
Today 12:13 PM
23 Replies, 1,862 Views

Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

First Photo from Spielberg's Ready Player One

Since they didn't bother to license most of the 80's nostalgia that made the book work, I don't have high hopes for this film.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Blog
Evil Dead

The first act of the book was great, the second act started to fall apart, and the last act was a complete fucking train wreck. As great as the beginning was, I almost wish I'd never read it because the ending was so fucking terrible.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog View Post
The first act of the book was great, the second act started to fall apart, and the last act was a complete fucking train wreck. As great as the beginning was, I almost wish I'd never read it because the ending was so fucking terrible.
I enjoyed it. I agree that the minute our main character starts to be a success, it just goes into retard territory, but it was still a pretty decent book overall. Kind of a huge 80's nerd fantasy book.

I read an article a long while back saying that they were not going to bother to license most of the games and movies that made the book work and so I've been kind of just waiting for this to come out and be a big nothing burger.

Spielberg hasn't made anything great in decades, I doubt this will be the exception.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
godsfriend
Death Knight

Yes, this will be awesome. I've been waiting for this movie for too long. The book was so much fun. And Cline's follow-up book Armada was good too.
godsfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
godsfriend
Death Knight

Quick question - so do movies need to license things but books don't? Or did Cline get approval for everything he talked about in book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I read an article a long while back saying that they were not going to bother to license most of the games and movies that made the book work and so I've been kind of just waiting for this to come out and be a big nothing burger.
godsfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsfriend View Post
Quick question - so do movies need to license things but books don't? Or did Cline get approval for everything he talked about in book?
Books don't need to license things. Unless you are using them on the cover art or in the title.

A movie would have to license everything... from War Games to Pac Man to Star Trek to Godzilla.

It would have been a monumental licensing project (and totally worth it.).
Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Keep in mind that using something in a book is still different from plagiarizing something. You can have Godzilla show up in your Sci Fi book, but you can't copy something from another Godzilla book word for word. You probably also wouldn't want to risk writing a full novel about Godzilla or Pac Man because then you are trying to profit off a licensed character and would probably get sued and lose because that kinda goes way beyond pop culture fair use.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Sweet! I'm pretty excited. I loved the book and Armada!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
saulob
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Books don't need to license things. Unless you are using them on the cover art or in the title.

A movie would have to license everything... from War Games to Pac Man to Star Trek to Godzilla.

It would have been a monumental licensing project (and totally worth it.).
Can you list some good things from the 80's that they are going to miss it?

Im curious now
Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Why is he slim? Isn't he supposed to be kind overweight? It's been awhile since I read it.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulob View Post
Can you list some good things from the 80's that they are going to miss it?

Im curious now
I don't think they listed anything specific, just Speilberg saying something about them not licensing all the stuff from the book and "going their own direction".

If I had to guess, we will not see the Spider-Man Mecha or Mechagodzilla. They will probably keep Joust and Pac-Man since those aren't expensive properties just to show them up on the screen.

I doubt you will see the Enterprise, but you will probably see the Delorian with the Ghostbusters symbol and I totally expect you will see the Firefly. I seriously doubt you will see anything from War Games, just because it would require that they do 100% digital versions of those actors and scenes and it would look kinda dorky like the plastic Princess Leia or Tarkin. That might be the only choice I would agree with just because it would be so hard to make it look right.

It is really hard to say, I'm just wary after reading that they weren't going to license everything.

I have to wonder if they will have the Tomb of Horrors or if it will just be "generic dungeon".
Old 07-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
Why is he slim? Isn't he supposed to be kind overweight? It's been awhile since I read it.
He was overweight in the beginning, but then gets all buffed out by the end of the book.

Tags
ready player one