Last post by blackzc
Today 01:05 AM
16 Replies, 1,949 Views

Old 04-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #21
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
My understanding is that right up until extremely recently, Japanese developers abslolutely abhorred the idea of using middleware tools to develop games. Every development studio made their own game engines and libraries.
And I loved them for it! Now everyone's using Unreal Engine 4, and to me, personally, many of these games feel soulless. I mean, just look at "Mighty No. 9" or "Bloodstained", and compare them to the 2D portions of "Valkyria Profile 2: Silmeria" on the PS2...

Coming back to SEGA, though, I fear their arcade roots are haunting them today. I love many of their old games, but only a few of them lend themselves to modern, full-price reboots. Arcade racers, arcade shooters, fighting games, brawlers and (unlicensed) sports titles simply can't command a 60-dollar price point anymore. Even excellent games like "Yakuza" fall into this trap.

That said, I'd love to see a full remake (certainly not a simple remaster!) of PDS and many, many other titles from the good old times. The world has been without "Dynamite Cop", "Daytona USA", "Crazy Taxi", "Virtua Tennis" and especially "Virtua Fighter" for too long!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #22
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
That said, I'd love to see a full remake (certainly not a simple remaster!) of PDS and many, many other titles from the good old times. The world has been without "Dynamite Cop", "Daytona USA", "Crazy Taxi", "Virtua Tennis" and especially "Virtua Fighter" for too long!
Crazy Taxi was one of the most fun games I've ever played. My brothers and I would spend hours playing it after Sunday dinners, just trying to get the coolest looking replays once you got enough cash for the bonus credits. I'm guessing a remake would be tricky with the music licensing though and I don't want a Crazy Taxi remake without the same soundtrack.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 AM   #23
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Crazy Taxi was one of the most fun games I've ever played. My brothers and I would spend hours playing it after Sunday dinners, just trying to get the coolest looking replays once you got enough cash for the bonus credits. I'm guessing a remake would be tricky with the music licensing though and I don't want a Crazy Taxi remake without the same soundtrack.
Agreed. I believe only the arcade and Dreamcast versions had the original music. Or was it only the Dreamcast? I don't remember the arcade machine all that well...
Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 AM   #24
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Agreed. I believe only the arcade and Dreamcast versions had the original music. Or was it only the Dreamcast? I don't remember the arcade machine all that well...
Actually, the Arcade version had the classic soundtrack with The Offspring and Bad Religion on it. The Dreamcast version was a direct port with the same soundtrack. They made few re-releases, notable one on the Gamecube I believe, that did NOT have the license for the soundtrack, and the reviews suffered for it. I believe they also made a mobile version that did not have the soundtrack and it was viewed negatively. Sega then got their act together and the most recent Mobile version of Crazy Taxi has the soundtrack restored. I think all subsequent version software the game have the original soundtrack.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega, shenmue