Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Booda
Beam another Blast

‘Chernobyl’ Becomes IMDB’s Highest Rated Show In History

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Heard good things. Waiting till it’s over. I know how it ends.

Turns out the whole mess was started by some bitch with a dragon and it was “that time of the month”. That’s right, right?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
BadIronTree
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Turns out the whole mess was started by some bitch with a dragon and it was “that time of the month”. That’s right, right?
If by dragon you mean removing 12 of the 30 safety fuel rods and when shit hit the fan you clicked the panic button and fucked even more then yes :P
Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Booda
Beam another Blast

Probably the best series I've watched so far. In fact it's so damn good that the SJW's have forgotten to bitch about the lack of diversity in it.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

It's really hard to watch. Dumb fuckers walked right up to the edge of an exploded nuclear reactor....It's like watching cows being led to slaughter.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

I'm about the furthest thing from a Militia joining tea party member, but Chernobyl shows you the extreme end of the spectrum as to what happens when the state has total power and the people have none. 2nd amendment baby...school shootings suck, but Totalitarianism is worse.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
It's really hard to watch. Dumb fuckers walked right up to the edge of an exploded nuclear reactor....It's like watching cows being led to slaughter.
Wow! That is a stupid fucking comment right there.

Did you reread that after you submitted it & decide you better walk it back a bit with your second comment?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Word

Quote:
I'm about the furthest thing from a Militia joining tea party member, but Chernobyl shows you the extreme end of the spectrum as to what happens when the state has total power and the people have none. 2nd amendment baby...school shootings suck, but Totalitarianism is worse.
I'm under no illusion that the people have zero power over here in the U.K., or U.S. We're sheep, cattle, or whatever you'd like to call it. The big boys, with money, will always control the strings of the small people. Always. Unless the crap really hits the fan and we rise up and smash. Unlikely.

---

Loving the show, despite the scary and real (mostly) events that took place all those years ago. Just hope it never happens again.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I would like to see a simulation of what would happen if the US had a civil war right now, just as a theoretical exercise.

What does 330 million guns in the hands of a population which is hostile, yet entangled with the other half of the population? Can you even count on the strongholds of LA and New York, etc to be safe?

Plenty of "Patriots" there who might feel the need to take up arms if something similar to Chernobyl were to happen and our government were to deploy forces to put down an internal rebellion.

It is what those on the super fringe want to see, but others say "there is no doubt the government wins a shooting war" and then we have congress critters saying things like "we have nukes, it will be a quick war" (paraphrased). I bet a decent model could be put together.

We have less reliable data on Climate Change but they know FOR SURE we're going die by freezing drowning the coasts boiling the fishes in the sea something in 12 years so we should be able to throw something together real quick.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The show is pretty good although a lot of it is factually wrong like speeding up the effects of radiation on the immediate population and how deadly it really was. The firefighters got the worst by far and they do a great job there. I mostly find the UK actors with English accents playing real Russians a tad distracting.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Wow! That is a stupid fucking comment right there.

Did you reread that after you submitted it & decide you better walk it back a bit with your second comment?
Not sure what you mean. I'm saying that the Russian populous was so uneducated that literally everyone other than the nuclear physicists thought there was nothing to worry about when a nuclear power plant exploded and the air itself was glowing. We (average citizens in the u.s.) knew the dangers of nuclear power since at least the early 80's (I was born in 73, so that is all I can personally speak to). Maybe it's because we all watched "the day after", but you wouldn't see us most of us just running into a nuclear power plant without some shielding.

Anyways...eat a dick.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I'm under no illusion that the people have zero power over here in the U.K., or U.S. We're sheep, cattle, or whatever you'd like to call it. The big boys, with money, will always control the strings of the small people. Always. Unless the crap really hits the fan and we rise up and smash. Unlikely.

---

Loving the show, despite the scary and real (mostly) events that took place all those years ago. Just hope it never happens again.
In the UK you certainly don't, you continue to give up your rights and allow Islam to take over without so much as a whimper in protest. The US still has a 1st and 2nd amendment, if it came down to it, and it might, people will stand the fuck up.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I'm saying that the Russian populous was so uneducated that literally everyone other than the nuclear physicists thought there was nothing to worry about when a nuclear power plant exploded and the air itself was glowing. We (average citizens in the u.s.) knew the dangers of nuclear power since at least the early 80's (I was born in 73, so that is all I can personally speak to). Maybe it's because we all watched "the day after", but you wouldn't see us most of us just running into a nuclear power plant without some shielding.

Anyways...eat a dick.
Your read on the first episode was that all the employees in this Russian nuclear power plant are "dumb"? It didn't cross your mind that if you don't do as your told in a communist country like the Soviet Union that you just might catch a bullet right then & there?

I don't know man... I'm going with fear for one's life from the government as being the motivation for walking into an exposed reactor (even if that also means certain death, not to mention a far more horrible one) as opposed to a lack of education. Just goes to show you how much power the Soviet government has over their population.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Your read on the first episode was that all the employees in this Russian nuclear power plant are "dumb"? It didn't cross your mind that if you don't do as your told in a communist country like the Soviet Union that you just might catch a bullet right then & there?

I don't know man... I'm going with fear for one's life from the government as being the motivation for walking into an exposed reactor (even if that also means certain death, not to mention a far more horrible one) as opposed to a lack of education. Just goes to show you how much power the Soviet government has over their population.
The liquidators knew what they were getting into. They were told time was running out before it became a much bigger disaster rendering whole countries uninhabitable for centuries. It was the firefighters sent in at the beginning who knew nothing. Except for one man, Russian scientists, doctors and politicians failed to convey the threat.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The liquidators knew what they were getting into. They were told time was running out before it became a much bigger disaster rendering whole countries uninhabitable for centuries. It was the firefighters sent in at the beginning who knew nothing. Except for one man, Russian scientists, doctors and politicians failed to convey the threat.
Right but "failed to convey the threat" is a pretty mild way of stating that the Russian government ruled over their population through oppression & disinformation.

Until the news of what happened got out to the rest of the world they were perfectly willing to put tens of thousands of their citizens lives at risk in order to keep the Russian State secrets a secret.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:

Oh I completely agree that the workers in the plant were bullied into submission, but I'm referring to the firefighters who weren't being threatened with execution or exile. One would think that if you were a first responder in a city with a nuclear power plant that you would have some basic understanding about the effects of radiation. Not to mention the people standing there on the bridge with their babies as the nuclear ash rains down on them. The depiction of their common sense was just sad to say the least.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #17
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
In the UK you certainly don't, you continue to give up your rights and allow Islam to take over without so much as a whimper in protest. The US still has a 1st and 2nd amendment, if it came down to it, and it might, people will stand the fuck up.
Yep. That's what I am referring to. I'm not even saying that a citizenry armed with rifles stands any real chance against the feds, but it keeps their power in check nonetheless.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #18
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
The show is excellent! And yes everyday Russians didn't know shit back then because their lives were controlled by communism and they were brainwashed into thinking the government knows best and would protect them. So yes they were about as "dumb" and sheep-like as most North Koreans. Their government kept them in the dark. Notice the people who WERE in the know tried to stay the fuck away from it, at least as far as they could without taking a bullet to the head.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Probably the best series I've watched so far. In fact it's so damn good that the SJW's have forgotten to bitch about the lack of diversity in it.
I think even the SJWs aren't idiotic enough to think communist Russia had blacks and hispanics running around in it. That said they could have easily had Asian or middle eastern looking folks and gotten away with it because of the conquered Soviet satellite nations. But it's good that they are respecting the actual LACK of diversity that would have been present. Probably doing it on purpose as in "SEE, THIS IS WHAT THE LACK OF DIVERSITY CAUSES.. COLORED PEOPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN SMARTER. HUR HUR HUR"
Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Oh I completely agree that the workers in the plant were bullied into submission, but I'm referring to the firefighters who weren't being threatened with execution or exile.
You can bet your ass that they would have been threatened if they weren't out there assholes & elbows fighting that "fire".

Quote:
One would think that if you were a first responder in a city with a nuclear power plant that you would have some basic understanding about the effects of radiation.
Only info these people have is what Mother Russia tells them. Independent thought is not exactly something that is encouraged there.

Quote:
Not to mention the people standing there on the bridge with their babies as the nuclear ash rains down on them. The depiction of their common sense was just sad to say the least.
Again... Mother Russia provides all.