5 Replies, 371 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by GinRummy
Today 06:45 AM
8 Replies, 507 Views

Old 10-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Bethesda Has Announced it Won't be Sending Early Games to Press Anymore #Bethesda

VG247 has the story.

Quote:
Skyrim: Special Edition won’t be given to press in advance of release, Bethesda has announced. In fact, neither will Dishonored 2 – or any other Bethesda game going forward.

The publisher will now be mailing out code to arrive with media outlets one day in advance of release. Traditionally, most publishers have given press anything up to a couple of weeks early access on major releases, but under an embargo.

Bethesda announced this new policy in a blog post, citing DOOM, which was distributed to press just one day before release, as proof that it doesn’t need to enable early embargoed reviews to succeed critically or commercially.

The announcement is presumably designed to pre-emptively counter any suspicion that Bethesda’s decision to distribute review copies late in the day means the game in question is rubbish; speculation of that sort always kicks off in these kinds of situations.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Game Journalists are Over or Game Journalists don't have to be your Audience any More.

The Gamergate crowd must be laughing into their corn flakes.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
The announcement is presumably designed to pre-emptively counter any suspicion that Bethesda’s decision to distribute review copies late in the day means the game in question is rubbish; speculation of that sort always kicks off in these kinds of situations.
I don't begrudge them attempting to protect their extremely expensive investments from early destruction at the hands of page view prostitute reviewers whose only concern seems to be to maximize ad revenue at the expense of a real review, but let's be honest about why they are doing this, please; to preserve a window of opportunity at launch for sales to outpace word of mouth and reviews.

I don't blame them, but they're not fooling me with the 'why' of this decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Game Journalists are Over or Game Journalists don't have to be your Audience any More.

Damn, I could really go for some cornflakes right now. But so many goddamn carbs.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I've really had it with game "criticism" as well. I say bravo Bethesda. I really appreciate Easy Allies reviews because I appreciate video reviews. That way I can see what the reviewers are talking about and judge for myself.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Well look at Bethesda with the big balls...

Good for them. How ya like them apples?

I don't see a downside to this - someone come in here with a different point of view.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead

Doesn't make a shit of a difference to me. There is a very short list of games I'd ever consider buying at release (coincidentally, The Elder Scrolls VI is one of them). So, I'm going to have all the feedback I need before making a decision to purchase regardless.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Well look at Bethesda with the big balls...

Good for them. How ya like them apples?

I don't see a downside to this - someone come in here with a different point of view.
I'm positive the console gamers couldn't care less. However from a PC gamer perspective pre-launch reviews are a must. Removing this only accomplishes one thing... More sales before people can realize you released a piece of shit. They know it's a generation of instant gratification and that most people will buy something they want ASAP unless dissuaded from that decision first. Remove that and you get more sales.

It's a chicken shit move fueled by greed. simple as that. There is absolutely no positive in this for the consumer.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
I'm positive the console gamers couldn't care less. However from a PC gamer perspective pre-launch reviews are a must. Removing this only accomplishes one thing... More sales before people can realize you released a piece of shit. They know it's a generation of instant gratification and that most people will buy something they want ASAP unless dissuaded from that decision first. Remove that and you get more sales.

It's a chicken shit move fueled by greed. simple as that. There is absolutely no positive in this for the consumer.
I can understand what you're saying, but a lot of games that release to huge issues only encounter them when the game is released at a scale that allows for it. No Man's Sky, for instance, had good reviews from most of the places I follow. Batman, as well, got good reviews from places like Giant Bomb only to have the news hit later that the game was unplayable for many people.

So, the Steam reviews and whatnot will still be there to guide people's buying in regard to performance. We just won't have the benefit of it hearing if a game is COMPLETELY ruined for everyone, ahead of time.

I disagree, though, that the move is fueled by greed or that there is no benefit for the consumer. Arguably, such a move takes power out of the hands of large sites who review games on a narrative that isn't consistent with what normal gamers care about. I have no metrics to prove it, but perhaps this will shift some of the overall reaction to games in a way that is favorable for consumers like myself.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
MultiTasker
Dread Lord

As someone who collects press previews (the earlier the better) this blows, but I can certainly understand why they are doing this.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Wonderful news.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #12
Exodus
Evil Dead

For websites/reporters that's a shame but I don't feel bad. I love their games and as far as rpgs go it's up their with civ. I just keep going back to it and putting in even more hours into it.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #13
Scherge
Evil Dead

This seems like a coward's move. In general, editors will only greenlight a preview if it's positive, because it's easier to justify to their readers (avoiding the "Why do you spend time on this crappy game when you could write about XY?" comments). The review has traditionally always been the first (and often only) chance for a writer to truly describe how they feel about the game. You can be sure Bethesday will still want that positive preview coverage that gets consumers hyped for the release day, while avoiding criticism that might put some customers off!

And to everyone claiming that those reviews are bought anyway, I say: Well... maybe they are, maybe they aren't. In my editing days (15+ years back), that would have been unthinkable. Advertising money could certainly buy more preview pages (unveiling "Tomb Raider" in front of an Egyptian pyramid makes for a great article), but not higher review ratings. I refuse to believe that everybody and everything can be bought nowadays!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #14
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I can understand what you're saying, but a lot of games that release to huge issues only encounter them when the game is released at a scale that allows for it. No Man's Sky, for instance, had good reviews from most of the places I follow. Batman, as well, got good reviews from places like Giant Bomb only to have the news hit later that the game was unplayable for many people.
This is not even applicable, if anything it helps my point. The good reviews don't matter, those people played the games on a console where there's not need for a proper technical review. You simply weren't looking at the right reviews. And every single NMS review said the same thing 'what's here is cool, but we can't wait to see what comes on release'... for whatever reason they all played the game and thought 'I hope this isn't it' but expected it would get fixed on launch... fucking stupid and so was anyone who followed with that naive idea.

Quote:
So, the Steam reviews and whatnot will still be there to guide people's buying in regard to performance. We just won't have the benefit of it hearing if a game is COMPLETELY ruined for everyone, ahead of time.
really? in order to review a game you have to first buy it... again, backing my point. No reviews means more sales, and more initial sales is what drives investors. Nothing but greed.

Quote:
I disagree, though, that the move is fueled by greed or that there is no benefit for the consumer. Arguably, such a move takes power out of the hands of large sites who review games on a narrative that isn't consistent with what normal gamers care about. I have no metrics to prove it, but perhaps this will shift some of the overall reaction to games in a way that is favorable for consumers like myself.
How does any of that makes sense to you? There is no benefit to the consumer! none! you think that because there's less reviews the games will somehow magically get better?@! are you fucking kidding me? That's the stupidest thing I've heard. There is absolutely no positive in this to anyone but Bethesda.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
timmyd
Evil Dead

Who cares? I'll just come here and see what real people playing the game say. You guys are real, right?

Game reviews by "game journalists" are like fan fiction. They only focus on the fetish of the writer who only watched the loading screen.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Does evil avatar still do video game reviews?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Game journalism died when it, as a collective, decided to ignore Steam Greenlight and Early Access. There is a whole world of shitty, funny content waiting that reviewing would provide value to the audience wading through the Digital Homicide wasteland of unfinished garbage. Instead they write articles about how hard it is to play games for a living and not enough women being in the industry.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
Does evil avatar still do video game reviews?
Personally, I only do movie reviews now. Our site still does game reviews. We just did Mafia 3 and we are posting Batman Remastered as soon as I get enough coffee in me that I begin to resemble a real human being.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
Who cares? I'll just come here and see what real people playing the game say. You guys are real, right?

Game reviews by "game journalists" are like fan fiction. They only focus on the fetish of the writer who only watched the loading screen.
I'm real. I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption! How many game reviewers can say that? Ha!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
LostToys
Evil Dead

I like reading reviews, but I can understand that they are outmoded now that video previews, Let's Play, and other video oriented means of showcasing the product are not available to the consumer. You no longer have to explain how the game plays, you can show it. This substantially helps the end-customer determine if they like what they are seeing.

And seeing how everyone and their mother has a Twitch or YouTube channel, it is not like you can't find video day of release, see if it looks like fun, then decide to purchase the game or not.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, bethesda softworks