Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Ghostblaze
Today 08:27 PM
13 Replies, 400 Views
Massive Division 2 Sale-...
Last post by brandonjclark
Today 08:07 PM
2 Replies, 153 Views
Overwatch Seasonal Event...
Last post by Sir_Smokes_Alot
Today 07:36 PM
12 Replies, 657 Views
The Analogue Pocket...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 07:14 PM
5 Replies, 262 Views
All-New Heroes and...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:11 PM
1 Replies, 102 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by vallor
Today 06:02 PM
4,788 Replies, 1,043,354 Views
STRANGER THINGS IS...
Last post by Cranium
Today 08:14 AM
5 Replies, 371 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by GinRummy
Today 06:45 AM
8 Replies, 507 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,318
Blog Entries: 58
Bethesda Has Announced it Won't be Sending Early Games to Press Anymore #Bethesda


VG247 has the story.

Quote:
Skyrim: Special Edition won’t be given to press in advance of release, Bethesda has announced. In fact, neither will Dishonored 2 – or any other Bethesda game going forward.

The publisher will now be mailing out code to arrive with media outlets one day in advance of release. Traditionally, most publishers have given press anything up to a couple of weeks early access on major releases, but under an embargo.

Bethesda announced this new policy in a blog post, citing DOOM, which was distributed to press just one day before release, as proof that it doesn’t need to enable early embargoed reviews to succeed critically or commercially.

The announcement is presumably designed to pre-emptively counter any suspicion that Bethesda’s decision to distribute review copies late in the day means the game in question is rubbish; speculation of that sort always kicks off in these kinds of situations.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,361
Blog Entries: 20
Game Journalists are Over or Game Journalists don't have to be your Audience any More.

The Gamergate crowd must be laughing into their corn flakes.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
The announcement is presumably designed to pre-emptively counter any suspicion that Bethesda’s decision to distribute review copies late in the day means the game in question is rubbish; speculation of that sort always kicks off in these kinds of situations.
I don't begrudge them attempting to protect their extremely expensive investments from early destruction at the hands of page view prostitute reviewers whose only concern seems to be to maximize ad revenue at the expense of a real review, but let's be honest about why they are doing this, please; to preserve a window of opportunity at launch for sales to outpace word of mouth and reviews.

I don't blame them, but they're not fooling me with the 'why' of this decision.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Game Journalists are Over or Game Journalists don't have to be your Audience any More.

The Gamergate crowd must be laughing into their corn flakes.
Damn, I could really go for some cornflakes right now. But so many goddamn carbs.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
I've really had it with game "criticism" as well. I say bravo Bethesda. I really appreciate Easy Allies reviews because I appreciate video reviews. That way I can see what the reviewers are talking about and judge for myself.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead
 
rubbishfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cajun Country
Posts: 2,283
Well look at Bethesda with the big balls...

Good for them. How ya like them apples?

I don't see a downside to this - someone come in here with a different point of view.
__________________
I was nerdy before it was cool to be nerdy.
rubbishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead
 
Meeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 918
Doesn't make a shit of a difference to me. There is a very short list of games I'd ever consider buying at release (coincidentally, The Elder Scrolls VI is one of them). So, I'm going to have all the feedback I need before making a decision to purchase regardless.
__________________
"Women. Can't live with 'em. Pass the beer nuts." -Norm
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Well look at Bethesda with the big balls...

Good for them. How ya like them apples?

I don't see a downside to this - someone come in here with a different point of view.
I'm positive the console gamers couldn't care less. However from a PC gamer perspective pre-launch reviews are a must. Removing this only accomplishes one thing... More sales before people can realize you released a piece of shit. They know it's a generation of instant gratification and that most people will buy something they want ASAP unless dissuaded from that decision first. Remove that and you get more sales.

It's a chicken shit move fueled by greed. simple as that. There is absolutely no positive in this for the consumer.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
I'm positive the console gamers couldn't care less. However from a PC gamer perspective pre-launch reviews are a must. Removing this only accomplishes one thing... More sales before people can realize you released a piece of shit. They know it's a generation of instant gratification and that most people will buy something they want ASAP unless dissuaded from that decision first. Remove that and you get more sales.

It's a chicken shit move fueled by greed. simple as that. There is absolutely no positive in this for the consumer.
I can understand what you're saying, but a lot of games that release to huge issues only encounter them when the game is released at a scale that allows for it. No Man's Sky, for instance, had good reviews from most of the places I follow. Batman, as well, got good reviews from places like Giant Bomb only to have the news hit later that the game was unplayable for many people.

So, the Steam reviews and whatnot will still be there to guide people's buying in regard to performance. We just won't have the benefit of it hearing if a game is COMPLETELY ruined for everyone, ahead of time.

I disagree, though, that the move is fueled by greed or that there is no benefit for the consumer. Arguably, such a move takes power out of the hands of large sites who review games on a narrative that isn't consistent with what normal gamers care about. I have no metrics to prove it, but perhaps this will shift some of the overall reaction to games in a way that is favorable for consumers like myself.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
MultiTasker
Dread Lord
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 144
As someone who collects press previews (the earlier the better) this blows, but I can certainly understand why they are doing this.
__________________
Check out my Finish All Steam Games project as well as walkthroughs and alpha/beta/prototype playthroughs.
MultiTasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Paranoia
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,303
Wonderful news.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #12
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,564
For websites/reporters that's a shame but I don't feel bad. I love their games and as far as rpgs go it's up their with civ. I just keep going back to it and putting in even more hours into it.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #13
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,473
This seems like a coward's move. In general, editors will only greenlight a preview if it's positive, because it's easier to justify to their readers (avoiding the "Why do you spend time on this crappy game when you could write about XY?" comments). The review has traditionally always been the first (and often only) chance for a writer to truly describe how they feel about the game. You can be sure Bethesday will still want that positive preview coverage that gets consumers hyped for the release day, while avoiding criticism that might put some customers off!

And to everyone claiming that those reviews are bought anyway, I say: Well... maybe they are, maybe they aren't. In my editing days (15+ years back), that would have been unthinkable. Advertising money could certainly buy more preview pages (unveiling "Tomb Raider" in front of an Egyptian pyramid makes for a great article), but not higher review ratings. I refuse to believe that everybody and everything can be bought nowadays!
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #14
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I can understand what you're saying, but a lot of games that release to huge issues only encounter them when the game is released at a scale that allows for it. No Man's Sky, for instance, had good reviews from most of the places I follow. Batman, as well, got good reviews from places like Giant Bomb only to have the news hit later that the game was unplayable for many people.
This is not even applicable, if anything it helps my point. The good reviews don't matter, those people played the games on a console where there's not need for a proper technical review. You simply weren't looking at the right reviews. And every single NMS review said the same thing 'what's here is cool, but we can't wait to see what comes on release'... for whatever reason they all played the game and thought 'I hope this isn't it' but expected it would get fixed on launch... fucking stupid and so was anyone who followed with that naive idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
So, the Steam reviews and whatnot will still be there to guide people's buying in regard to performance. We just won't have the benefit of it hearing if a game is COMPLETELY ruined for everyone, ahead of time.
really? in order to review a game you have to first buy it... again, backing my point. No reviews means more sales, and more initial sales is what drives investors. Nothing but greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I disagree, though, that the move is fueled by greed or that there is no benefit for the consumer. Arguably, such a move takes power out of the hands of large sites who review games on a narrative that isn't consistent with what normal gamers care about. I have no metrics to prove it, but perhaps this will shift some of the overall reaction to games in a way that is favorable for consumers like myself.
How does any of that makes sense to you? There is no benefit to the consumer! none! you think that because there's less reviews the games will somehow magically get better?@! are you fucking kidding me? That's the stupidest thing I've heard. There is absolutely no positive in this to anyone but Bethesda.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
timmyd
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 364
Who cares? I'll just come here and see what real people playing the game say. You guys are real, right?

Game reviews by "game journalists" are like fan fiction. They only focus on the fetish of the writer who only watched the loading screen.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead
 
Dag-Sabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hai Shi Dao Hotsprings
Posts: 4,494
Does evil avatar still do video game reviews?
__________________
...using emotionally-laden bold fonts.
Dag-Sabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Game Journalists are Over or Game Journalists don't have to be your Audience any More.

The Gamergate crowd must be laughing into their corn flakes.
Game journalism died when it, as a collective, decided to ignore Steam Greenlight and Early Access. There is a whole world of shitty, funny content waiting that reviewing would provide value to the audience wading through the Digital Homicide wasteland of unfinished garbage. Instead they write articles about how hard it is to play games for a living and not enough women being in the industry.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,361
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
Does evil avatar still do video game reviews?
Personally, I only do movie reviews now. Our site still does game reviews. We just did Mafia 3 and we are posting Batman Remastered as soon as I get enough coffee in me that I begin to resemble a real human being.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,361
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
Who cares? I'll just come here and see what real people playing the game say. You guys are real, right?

Game reviews by "game journalists" are like fan fiction. They only focus on the fetish of the writer who only watched the loading screen.
I'm real. I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption! How many game reviewers can say that? Ha!
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,912
I like reading reviews, but I can understand that they are outmoded now that video previews, Let's Play, and other video oriented means of showcasing the product are not available to the consumer. You no longer have to explain how the game plays, you can show it. This substantially helps the end-customer determine if they like what they are seeing.

And seeing how everyone and their mother has a Twitch or YouTube channel, it is not like you can't find video day of release, see if it looks like fun, then decide to purchase the game or not.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bethesda, bethesda softworks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:54 PM.