Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 06:36 AM
25 Replies, 1,303 Views

Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo President Retires - Is replaced by Bowser

Quote:
Nintendo of America’s Reggie Fils-Aime to Retire: Doug Bowser Named New President

After more than 15 notable years at Nintendo of America, and nearly 13 as its President and COO, Reggie Fils-Aime will retire. His last day with Nintendo will be April 15. Doug Bowser, NOA’s current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, will then succeed Reggie as President of Nintendo of America.

“I really appreciate everything Reggie has done for Nintendo,” said Shuntaro Furukawa, President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. “Inside and outside our company, Reggie is known as an exceptional leader. We are grateful that he is leaving the business in good shape with strong momentum. While we will miss him and we wish him the very best in his retirement, we are also pleased to have such an able successor ready to step into that role. Doug Bowser and the rest of the team will ensure a seamless transition and continued momentum for Nintendo.”

“Nintendo owns a part of my heart forever,” Fils-Aime said. “It’s a part that is filled with gratitude – for the incredibly talented people I’ve worked with, for the opportunity to represent such a wonderful brand, and most of all, to feel like a member of the world’s most positive and enduring gamer community. As I look forward to departing in both good health and good humor, this is not ‘game over’ for me, but instead ‘leveling up’ to more time with my wife, family and friends.”

“It has been my great fortune to work with and be mentored by Reggie for four years at Nintendo of America,” Bowser said. “And rest assured, we will continue to build on his work to evolve and expand our brand, furthering Nintendo’s global mission of creating smiles. There are millions more of those to come.”

Fils-Aime started at Nintendo of America in 2003 as its Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing and became its President and COO in May 2006. His time with Nintendo began during the Nintendo GameCube and Game Boy Advance era. His leadership of Nintendo’s largest territory expanded the audience for Nintendo products as phenomena like Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports and Wii Fit brought millions of new players to the world of video games. Fils-Aime’s management led to record-breaking sales for products like the Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch systems. At the same time, he communicated innovative new product features to a mass audience via his strong and affable personality, making him a favorite of media, members of the video game industry and Nintendo fans alike.

During his tenure, Nintendo of America has expanded its physical presence in the U.S., having established a key sales and marketing office in Redwood City, California, and built a new NOA headquarters in Redmond, Washington, that has received awards for its environmentally friendly design.

Bowser is an industry veteran who joined NOA in May 2015 as the Vice President of Sales before being promoted to Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing the next year. During his time at NOA, Bowser led the sales and marketing efforts for Nintendo Switch, which became the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation through 21 months, according to The NPD Group. Previously, Bowser was an executive with industry powerhouse Electronic Arts, most recently as the company’s Vice President of Global Business Planning. He also worked at Procter & Gamble in various sales leadership roles in Asia, Latin America and the U.S.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo's new President would like a word with you.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

LOL that's #%@^ great!

Can't wait to see how the sequels turn out with Bowser running the show. Going to miss Reggie though. He was a fun guy. Brought a lot of energy to NOA and Nintendo fans really love him.

On a side note, despite just getting the GRAY joycons (ehemEvil), can confirm the Switch is turning out to be fantastic. Nothing like laying in bed at the end of the day, relaxing, playing portable. I picked up Smash and Mario + Rabbids. Both are outstanding. Easily live up to the hype. Besides an awesome, revitalized single player mode, Smash's soundtrack alone is worth it's price. Almost 1000 tracks, including a bunch of castlevania and streetfighter stuff. Over 100 levels. 75 fighters. Over 1500 spirits to collect. What they fit into the game is insane.

Mario + Rabbids is a lot more challenging and deep than i thought it would be, too. Great game thus far.

I've got to pick up Xenoblade 2 soon here as well. I'll have plenty to do until summer.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-21-2019 at 07:34 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
LOL that's #%@^ great!

Can't wait to see how the sequels turn out with Bowser running the show. Going to miss Reggie though. He was a fun guy. Brought a lot of energy to NOA and Nintendo fans really love him.

On a side note, despite just getting the GRAY joycons (ehemEvil), can confirm the Switch is turning out to be fantastic. Nothing like laying in bed at the end of the day, relaxing, playing portable. I picked up Smash and Mario + Rabbids. Both are outstanding. Easily live up to the hype. Besides an awesome, revitalized single player mode, Smash's soundtrack alone is worth it's price. Almost 1000 tracks, including a bunch of castlevania and streetfighter stuff. Over 100 levels. 75 fighters. Over 1500 spirits to collect. What they fit into the game is insane.

Mario + Rabbids is a lot more challenging and deep than i thought it would be, too. Great game thus far.

I've got to pick up Xenoblade 2 soon here as well. I'll have plenty to do until summer.
Make sure you give him one last handjob before he leaves.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

The Switch is amazing. It's the best "console" by far this gen. TBH, the only thing they need to do next gen is come out with a newer Switch.

THIS is the form-factor we all want. The rest of our games are on PC anyways, lol.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
The Switch is amazing.
Are you slurring your speech? Drooping eye? Drool? I'm concerned you've had a stroke...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Reggie helped print so much money!
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
THIS is the form-factor we all want. The rest of our games are on PC anyways, lol.
Don't speak for me. If I have to get a console because of the exclusive games on it, I prefer it not being hampered by a design that is portable first, docked second. There is only so much you can do with art design when blown up on a 65" 4K television. I am finally getting around to playing Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 and the 720p picture output is just not pleasing at times and it is not worth playing undocked.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Reggie helped print so much money!
Nintendo cheaping out on a regular basis is what prints them money.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Reggie was always a good presence at E3 etc but I wonder how much control NOA really has anyway. It's still a very Japanese focused company lead primarily by NOJ.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Mario + Rabbids is easily one of my favorite games of this generation. It's much more challenging than anyone would expect it to be and it does a good job of scratching that XCOM itch (albeit without the base management/research aspects). The presentation is goofy (in a good way), but the gameplay is pretty deep.

Quote:
There are plenty of games I wish I could undock from the TV. Sometimes it's nice being able to play a game while my wife is using the TV for something else, or take it on the road for various reasons. The Switch's portability came in handy about a year-and-a-half ago; we had a shitkicker of a wind storm rip through our area a couple of days before Halloween 2017 and it knocked out power for a solid week for those of us right in town (and even longer for folks on the outskirts and surrounding areas). Being able to mess around with a console like that definitely helped pass some of the time.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-22-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Mario + Rabbids is easily one of my favorite games of this generation. It's much more challenging than anyone would expect it to be and it does a good job of scratching that XCOM itch (albeit without the base management/research aspects). The presentation is goofy (in a good way), but the gameplay is pretty deep.

There are plenty of games I wish I could undock from the TV. Sometimes it's nice being able to play a game while my wife is using the TV for something else, or take it on the road for various reasons. The Switch's portability came in handy about a year-and-a-half ago; we had a shitkicker of a wind storm rip through our area a couple of days before Halloween 2017 and it knocked out power for a solid week for those of us right in town (and even longer for folks on the outskirts and surrounding areas). Being able to mess around with a console like that definitely helped pass some of the time.
Im LOVING Mario + Rabbids. The depth of strategy is very surprising. It's a blast. I can see why it's one of your favorite games this gen. It may turn out to be one of mine too by the time I'm finished.

And yah, I had no idea how awesome it is to take a lot of these games off of the TV and just play in bed next to my wife. I've admittedly taken the Switch a few times to the bathroom for a #2 session I love this thing. A buddy of mine who is a sheriff is in love with the Switch. He can take it on the road with him, and occupy his downtime.

The portability of some of the best games in the world is such a fantastic proposition.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Make sure you give him one last handjob before he leaves.
I think im not going to let you bait me anymore. You can go bait yourself, though

Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
The Switch is amazing. It's the best "console" by far this gen. TBH, the only thing they need to do next gen is come out with a newer Switch.
I have to agree. I'm disappointed with the Xbox One X and PS4 game roster. Previous gens were much better. But yea, the Switch has all types of games, and I've really enjoyed quite a few.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Im LOVING Mario + Rabbids. The depth of strategy is very surprising. It's a blast. I can see why it's one of your favorite games this gen. It may turn out to be one of mine too by the time I'm finished.
Some of the fights - especially the bosses - can be pretty tough. I've struggled with a few of them, for sure. As an added bonus, I'm one of the seven people who actually like the Rabbids, so their antics are just a bonus. The maniacal laugh Rabbid Luigi has when you use a vampiric ability cracks me up.

Quote:
And yah, I had no idea how awesome it is to take a lot of these games off of the TV and just play in bed next to my wife. I've admittedly taken the Switch a few times to the bathroom for a #2 session I love this thing. A buddy of mine who is a sheriff is in love with the Switch. He can take it on the road with him, and occupy his downtime.

The portability of some of the best games in the world is such a fantastic proposition.
Persona 5 was the first of many games I wished was on the Switch. "Do I want to be able to carry this game with me?" is a question I find myself asking with a ton of multiplatform games, now.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Why does this guy look so familiar...

Its like the kid in Modern Family grew up
Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

He looks too rich, fat, and happy for such a stressful job. Also I never liked his presentation style.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

"I have to agree. I'm disappointed with the Xbox One X and PS4 game roster. Previous gens were much better. "

Holy crap you guys are weird......but hey, live and let live. If you take out all the indie and free to play crap, I guess you are left with a slightly less rich roster than previous gens because no publisher wants to take risks anymore with the exception of maybe THQ Nordic. But it's not like the Switch ain't suffering from the same indie and F2P invasion. And it's not like there haven't been amazing big hitters on both the big boy consoles overall (not talking just exclusives, but in general.) Probably you guys don't have 4K HDR TVs yet AND you have gaming PCs. In that case, your reasoning makes a bit more sense.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
"I have to agree. I'm disappointed with the Xbox One X and PS4 game roster. Previous gens were much better. "

Holy crap you guys are weird......but hey, live and let live. If you take out all the indie and free to play crap, I guess you are left with a slightly less rich roster than previous gens because no publisher wants to take risks anymore with the exception of maybe THQ Nordic. But it's not like the Switch ain't suffering from the same indie and F2P invasion. And it's not like there haven't been amazing big hitters on both the big boy consoles overall (not talking just exclusives, but in general.) Probably you guys don't have 4K HDR TVs yet AND you have gaming PCs. In that case, your reasoning makes a bit more sense.
Not always the case, I have a decent PC, not top end but decent enough to handle most titles on max and be playable. (actually thinking of getting a 1660 GTX soon) And due to their IP and the hardware I wouldn't touch a switch if Pat bought me one. If I'm forced to get something on console I want it to look the best it can, I want a control method that is comfortable to me, I don't care about mobile gaming, So yeah, until Nintendo stops cheaping out and actually competes with Sony and MS for the hardcore gamer who doesn't care for their IP, it's just not happening.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Spec, Nintendo could make a console that's powerful enough to generate holographic real time maps of the universe and you wouldn't buy it because you'd be afraid that the dude-bros would think you're gay for Yoshi.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo