Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 08:54 AM
9 Replies, 392 Views

Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Pure Evil - Rogue One Wows Visually But Lacks Heart #RogueOne #StarWars

Write-up after the break. Full SPOILERS. You have been warned.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Rogue One is easily one of the prettiest Star Wars movies to date. With breath-taking visuals, amazing battle scenes and that same gritty, worn-universe feel of the original. But after seeing it twice, I felt the film lacked heart - something I felt even The Force Awakens had.

For the most part, the acting is good and the music does the job. The movie constantly wants to remind you that you're watching a Star Wars film - from the two stooges Obi Wan cuts down in Mos Eisley, to Artoo and Threepio crammed into an unnecessary scene (they would have been more in place on the Tantive IV at the end) - the film makers want to remind you that you're watching a Star Wars film by pulling the strings of nostalgia.

To really do that though, you have to NAIL it with the music. As I said, the score was competent. Hell, it was even exceptional at parts. But the main theme that comes up when "Rogue One" hits the screen falls flat. As it pops up throughout the film, I felt myself more annoyed than enchanted. The stuff on screen was definitely Star Wars, but the score assailing my ears was not. And that really hurt the movie for me.

Let's face it, Star Wars is some DARK shit. There's slavery all around, many denizens of the galaxy live in squalor and life is cheap. But you also have this amazing technology that keeps the likes of Sawl Gerrera and Darth Vader alive. Then you have the mystical force. Throw in a dash of whimsical music and Star Wars is like rocky road ice cream - an interesting mish-mash of ideas that somehow come together.

So if I had any real complaint - it's the music.

Next off, I'd say that the cast was simply too large. When people start dropping at the end, it doesn't really hit you because many of the characters were poorly developed. K2SO and Cassian were the stars of the show. I think the film should have focused on other cast members a bit more to flesh them out. Or, this film would have killed it as a 10-part mini-series. When the team starts dropping in the end, we would have really cared because we simply would have had more time to get to know them.

Props also go to Director Krennic. He was a great villain. When you step back, he was pretty one-dimensional, but his potrayal was fantastic. He walked a fine line between rage and composure. It was interesting to see, especially considering we haven't seen an Imperial or First Order officer like that.

I liked Tarkin, but felt that he had too many scenes. And don't get me started on Princess Leah in the end. Her cold, empty eyes will haunt me in my dreams. They could (and should) have ended the film with just a shot from the side or behind. We knew who she was.

I enjoyed seeing them splice in Red and Gold leader from A New Hope. It was a small thing, but it added to the sense that this was a real, continual universe. For me, those are the kind of Easter eggs I appreciated a bit more than some of the more overt ones mentioned above. However, I also realize I'm a Star Wars fan who's fanboy-ism borders on obsession. So there's that.

Last, and most importantly:

HOW ABOUT VADER!?

Holy shit when his Star Destroyer came on the scene and all those rebel ships just crash into it - wow! And then seeing him casually work his way through a hallway of rebel soliders. My wife and I were giddy with child-like glee. That sixty to ninety-second scene was worth the price of admission alone!

My favorite moment was when he's walking down the hallway, has a rebel soldier held to the ceiling by the force, and casually swipes his saber above and behind, cutting the guy in half. Just awesome. He felt like the Vader of the original trilogy - just this menacing inexorable presence.

I also liked that the film explored the morally grey areas of the rebellion and some of the other nuances of the force. It was interesting and for the most part, well-done.

I also have to applaud Disney for killing all the cast. I liked the fact that for every new face we see in this film, there is a reason they're not present in subsequent movies. They could have taken the easy route on that one. I really thought Cassian and Jyn might squeak by and survive. Nope.

Bravo.

Closing out, it's apparent this move has (and will) do well. I personally felt like it was a bad movie, but the gloss of Star Wars paint made it better. Even then, it's not a great Star Wars film. The absence of a strong score, uneven pacing and little regard for the characters made it fall flat. I'll get it on Blu-Ray. I may even come to really like it. But the film definitely has some warts.

Is it better than the prequels? Absolutely. But that's not saying much. And even though the prequels sucked in so many ways, there was still some of that magic. There were times during Rogue One when I felt like I was watching a piece of fan fiction. Granted, some of it was really good, but some of it was also really bad. Some people are saying this is the best Star Wars film since Empire Strikes Back. I strongly disagree, but in the end, that's all a matter of opinion.

That being said, I think it's important to note that despite its failings, Rogue One is a different Star Wars film. And it makes some bold choices in killing off its entire cast. For that, I applaud the people at the helm for doing something different. And even though I wasn't satisfied with this outing, I'm excited for what's in store. I've hated the idea of a stand-alone Han Solo film. But now that sounds downright intriguing.

In some ways, Rogue One reminds me of the original Iron Man. I loved Iron Man (and think it's a better movie than Rogue One), but if I had any critique of that film, it'd be that I wanted more IRON MAN. Despite it's shortcomings, that movie opened the door for future Marvel films. We now have Marvel Movies that are pretty consistent in their quality and some that are just down-right exceptional. I'm hopeful that Rogue One is the Iron Man of Star Wars. Because despite it's failings, Rogue One has really opened the door as to what people can do with the franchise. And if you don't find that exciting, I don't know what to tell you.

So bring it on, Disney. Let's see what you've got.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

I'll also add that I think Rogue One is worth checking out in theatres for the experience. I never really mentioned it above, but this is a fun pop-corn flick. Be warned though, that this is PG-13. There's a lot of killing and all the heroes die. Really young ones might have trouble with this, though I'm pleased to say I saw kids under 13 who were discussing this and debating where it sits alongside Empire Strikes Back. I had such geek-pride seeing that. We live in a wonderful time, folks.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

The CGI for Leia looked like they did Motion Capture with Carrie Fisher now but forgot to make the CGI "young" face thin.

Tarkin CGI was good but still obviously CGI.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
Angelus073
Dread Lord

You say in the review its a bad movie??!

Don't get that at all. Its a really solid film. I would say that Catalyst is a pretty important read as it adds real context to the story.

I really feel this is a great starting point for other standalone stuff.
Angelus073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus073 View Post
You say in the review its a bad movie??!

Don't get that at all. Its a really solid film. I would say that Catalyst is a pretty important read as it adds real context to the story.

I really feel this is a great starting point for other standalone stuff.
It is a bad movie. The IP held it up. And you shouldn't have to read a book to make a movie a better film. I used to be one of those fans that read every piece of content. The fact that I need to read a book to further appreciate the film, further highlights its weaknesses. That all being said, it doesn't mean I hated the movie. And as I mentioned in the end, I'm really excited for what's in store. And Rogue One had some great moments. It lacks heart. But it's a popcorn flick, plain and simple. But hey, that's just my opinion.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
It is a bad movie. The IP held it up. And you shouldn't have to read a book to make a movie a better film. I used to be one of those fans that read every piece of content. The fact that I need to read a book to further appreciate the film, further highlights its weaknesses. That all being said, it doesn't mean I hated the movie. And as I mentioned in the end, I'm really excited for what's in store. And Rogue One had some great moments. It lacks heart. But it's a popcorn flick, plain and simple. But hey, that's just my opinion.
I guess my point of contention is a simple one: You never actually told us why you think it's bad. You didn't care for the score and it lacked heart...but, the rest of your review sounded pretty positive, overall.

The body of your write-up doesn't mesh with your final assessment, basically.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
wunshot
Subscriber

Personally I thought it was easily the best Star Wars movie in the last thirty five years, and might even be better than Empire (I need to watch it again before I make a final decision). I loved nearly all of the characters, and the ending was just incredible. It made a seamless transition to episode IV, and it took balls to kill everyone at the end.
Loved it.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I guess my point of contention is a simple one: You never actually told us why you think it's bad. You didn't care for the score and it lacked heart...but, the rest of your review sounded pretty positive, overall.

I would say it is a bland CGI-dominated action film with a one-dimensional storyline and cardboard cut-out characters.

I would also say it was a MASSIVE mistake to feature so much of Wax Sculpture Tarkin or fat-faced CGI-Leia for even a second.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I would say it is a bland CGI-dominated action film with a one-dimensional storyline and cardboard cut-out characters.

I would also say it was a MASSIVE mistake to feature so much of Wax Sculpture Tarkin or fat-faced CGI-Leia for even a second.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
actusoul
Evil Dead

When I left Force Awakens, I felt cheated and hated the film.

When I left Rogue One, I was relieved and its a great film. I enjoyed it and it filled in the gaps. I liked the CGI and felt it was worthwhile to see these characters again. I am glad that we will see future films in the Star Wars universe. This is a darker film which was a smart move.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
Sinistar
Subscriber

When I left Force Awakens, I too felt a bit cheated since it's the same story as a New Hope and yet it was a fun throwback to us older fans. So, I wasn't TOO cheated.

When I left Rogue One, I thought "Holy Crap, Star Wars is in trouble." I didn't mind the CGI characters, I can forgive giant headed Tarkin and fat-faced Leia. It was the story that was a let down. That and the cardboard characters.

They could have done this whole movie with Minions (or Jawas) and it would have been about the same result. No heart.
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
gunbust3r
Lord

I feel bad for all the people living in the Star Wars universe. They can cross the galaxy at super speed but everything in system is done with manually looking out a window, the AI droids that can have a conversation but every other compute oriented task is running on something even worse than the Atom laptop I'm typing on. Take the backup tape to the top of a precarious tower! Oh of course.
gunbust3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbust3r View Post
I feel bad for all the people living in the Star Wars universe. They can cross the galaxy at super speed but everything in system is done with manually looking out a window, the AI droids that can have a conversation but every other compute oriented task is running on something even worse than the Atom laptop I'm typing on. Take the backup tape to the top of a precarious tower! Oh of course.

It was a long time ago.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
HonestIago
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
When I left Force Awakens, I felt cheated and hated the film.

When I left Rogue One, I was relieved and its a great film. I enjoyed it and it filled in the gaps. I liked the CGI and felt it was worthwhile to see these characters again. I am glad that we will see future films in the Star Wars universe. This is a darker film which was a smart move.
To me Ep VII was the worst movie in Star Wars history (including the Ewoks spin-offs...) and I do not think Rogue is a great movie but as a Star Wars STORY, it works well enough. It has its lengths, too much action (without lightsabers) and flat characters.
However, given that all had to die, this most likely was intended, making us not to be too sorry for their losses.
Tarkin was really great for me, Leia mediocre, but the constant bits and pieces of nostalgia well liked (Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan - yay, one of the best scenes in the whole movie).

I awarded Ep VII the subtitle "Jar Jar Abrams and the bleak side of the Force".
Rogue shows that there is still life in the Star Wars franchise. But Disney needs to be really careful, really carefully not to crush it with too much mediocrity.
HonestIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

From the write-up:

Quote:
Closing out, it's apparent this move has (and will) do well. I personally felt like it was a bad movie, but the gloss of Star Wars paint made it better. Even then, it's not a great Star Wars film. The absence of a strong score, uneven pacing and little regard for the characters made it fall flat. I'll get it on Blu-Ray. I may even come to really like it. But the film definitely has some warts.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
ldi222
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
Personally I thought it was easily the best Star Wars movie in the last thirty five years, and might even be better than Empire (I need to watch it again before I make a final decision). I loved nearly all of the characters, and the ending was just incredible. It made a seamless transition to episode IV, and it took balls to kill everyone at the end.
Loved it.
I agree with this 100%
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
From the write-up:
And none of that is reflected in the rest of the write-up. It seemed pretty positive overall...and then you closed things out by saying it was bad.

At the end of the day, it's your opinion. Whatever. It just seemed pretty off and jarring from the standpoint of a review.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #20
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I was a fan and enjoyed the movie. My sons did not and they love the old Star Wars and Force Awakens. I'm glad you mentioned the music because I thought it wasn't the best either. Sometimes it felt so out of place. Like they would do this huge, pounding score in the most normal scene.. It was jarring.

However I like how they handled the Force for regular people, and how characters drew strength from their faith in it. Also the action was great, and some of the characters will be classic(some not so much). Overall it was a solid edition to the Universe and made sense which was important to me. Also Vader is a beast and they really showed folks what he is capable of. You are right...that was worth the admission alone!

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure evil, rogue one, star wars