9 Replies, 636 Views

Old 11-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

[EVENT] - Microsoft Winter Showcase

Title:Microsoft Winter Showcase
Editor: Nicholas 'bapenguin' Puleo

Microsoft Winter Showcase

Last night Microsoft held a showcase event for the Xbox 360 Holiday Lineup. Among titles there were Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Crackdown and a whole slew of Xbox Live Arcade titles. Also announced at the event was Microsoft’s inititive to deliver TV and Movie content over Xbox Live.

Peter Moore took the stage to announce partnerships with various movie and TV studios to publish their content to Xbox Live. The Marketplace will now allow users to rent hi-definition movies for a small fee. The movies remain on your 360 for 14 days, and once you start playing them you have 24 hours to watch it. There are also TV shows available to download, and these can be kept indefinitely. (Video of the presentation by Peter Moore)

Of course after immediately arrive (and getting a beer) the first thing I did was hit up Gears of War. This was my first time seeing the game in person, and the game’s looks lived up to expectations. The amount of detail present in the environment combined with the excellent use of color palettes make this the best looking game I’ve seen to date. I then sat down for some multi-player goodness and promptly got my ass handed to me, again and again. Battles are fast and frantic with blood and guts flying everywhere. Time and time again our team would be flanked by a crazy chainsaw wielding fellow that would hack us to pieces. My only complaint with the game was the controls weren’t very smooth when scoping in, but this could be a configuration issue.

After Gears I checked out Microsoft’s other big title, Viva Piñata. I had no interest in this game whatsoever, but the little time I spent with it I found myself strangely addicted. Basically the premise is to make up your garden to attract certain piñatas. After clearing some dirt, little wormy guys showed up. After I had two of them I had some strange blue builder guy build them a house. Then they did the “romance” dance and had an egg. Graphically the game is impressive, and I can definitely see it being a hit with the kids. Keep a close eye on this one.

Next up was some Live Arcade goodies. I saw myself down at one of the machines that had a ton of Indie titles on it. Here are some impressions:

Small Arms: Fast, fun and weird. Graphics are solid and gameplay is kind of silly. Lots of good weapon variety.

Roboblitz: My god this game is gorgeous. The physics are excellent and the puzzles look like they can be fairly challenging.

Heavy Weapon: Another dual analog style game, but this time it’s a sidescroller with a tank. Lots of fast and furious action. Graphics were pretty good too.

Alien Homminid: Absolutely gorgeous in motion, but I found it very difficult. Looking forward to getting more hands on time with this.

Novadrome: Some strange futuristic racing game. Wasn’t impressed at all. Skip it.

Street Trace: Another futuristic racing game, this time on hoverboards. Graphics were decent, but the controls were bad.

Assault Heroes: Top down shooter style game. Looked and played good.

There was also some retro titles to check out. One of the more popular ones was Track and Field from Konami. I witnessed Larry Johnson of the Kansas City Chiefs button mash his way to victory on this game while wearing jewelry that cost more than my house and cars combined.

Centipede got a graphical overhaul and looked very trippy. Contra looked solid as well, though the screen size was kind of tiny. The new explosion effects were a nice touch.

The other impressive thing I saw was the new Torque Game Builder X for XNA Game Studio Express. With the new Torque system from Garage Games, it's easier than ever to create a game from scratch in little to no time. On top of that now you can compile things straight to the XBox 360 by using a Torque scene file. I was very impressed by the demo of the technology. When TorqueX and XNA launches in December, prepare for lots of quality user created content.

I also checked out the HD-DVD player. It was bigger than expected, and the quality of the video (Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift) wasn’t that great in my opinion.

Overall the night was pretty fun and sort of surreal. Now I can’t wait to get home and play some Gears of War!

Amani Toomer Playing Madden.

Centipede
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Nice write-up, bap! I'll say one thing about Microsoft - they know how to throw a party and send out the right message to their target audience.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Adam Blue
BlueGamer.net

Can't wait for Alien Homminid. Meant to buy it on the PS2/GCN, but never did.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits
Nice write-up, bap! I'll say one thing about Microsoft - they know how to throw a party and send out the right message to their target audience.
I gotta say, this is the first event I've gone to that felt more like a party and less like a press event. At one point I was drinking a beer, chatting it up with Gaming Steve watching Larry Johnson play Track and Field while Peter Moore was behind me hitting on some hot blonde. Later I watched as Mark Ecko got schooled in Poker online, and then signed some face plates. After all that I watched Amani Toomer suck it up at Madden....and then later on when I past him he gave me the NOD.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Watership
Evil Dead

"After Gears I checked out Microsoft’s other big title, Viva Piñata. I had no interest in this game whatsoever, but the little time I spent with it I found myself strangely addicted."

Everyone is saying this. No buzz, no hype, just slow.. creeping... addiction.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
bone_matrix
Now with more Green!

Very cool Bap. I need to start my own website so I can get into cool things like this. How much money would it require to have each of you post on my new fangled for-show-only-so-I-can-get-into-cool-gigs website?

I have a lot of pennies.
Boycotting a game over DRM is like cutting off your penis to boycott sleeping in the wet spot.
bone_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
KarmaGhost
Evil Dead

Where was this at, bap? NYC or Philly?
KarmaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
soco
Evil Dead

niec write-up bap!
soco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGhost
Where was this at, bap? NYC or Philly?
NYC. blankspace.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Ph00p
Evil Dead

Did they show off that FPS controller they were going on about earlier? God damnit! Its about time they show that shit off, if not soon it'll be too late to sway any Wii or PS3 buyers, although I think it might be too late already for that.
Ph00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Balthasar
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
I gotta say, this is the first event I've gone to that felt more like a party and less like a press event. At one point I was drinking a beer, chatting it up with Gaming Steve watching Larry Johnson play Track and Field...
LJ? That's surprising. He probably had to go out of his way to get to this event, given how little free time these guys usually have during the season.
Balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthasar
LJ? That's surprising. He probably had to go out of his way to get to this event, given how little free time these guys usually have during the season.
Yeah I thought he might have been in town to play the Jets or Giants, but they play Miami this week. So who knows.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Balthasar
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
Yeah I thought he might have been in town to play the Jets or Giants, but they play Miami this week. So who knows.
Wish I had him on my fantasy team.
Balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Wombat
Evil Dead

I noticed Settlers of Cataan in the screenshot, but you didn't mention it. Was there anything about it in the presentation?
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 AM   #15
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
I noticed Settlers of Cataan in the screenshot, but you didn't mention it. Was there anything about it in the presentation?
I tried to play it but couldn't get it to work with the way things were setup. That is the 360's didn't have online profiles and for whatever reason that game wanted me to create one.