Metro Exodus goes gold,...
Last post by alienchild
Today 04:12 AM
7 Replies, 612 Views

Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Dr.Finger

2007 Second Half Preview - Wii First Party Titles

A few notes and caveats.

- This list covers officially announced games that are reasonably expected to see the light of day in the last half of 2007, so no Duke Nukem Forever, Killzone 2 or Mario Kart - Wii. I also only discuss games for the systems they have been officially announced for so Hellgate: London stays under the PC heading and MGS4 stays under PS3.

- Release dates used are for the U.S. releases of the game. Several of these titles may have already been released in other territories, or may not be released in others until a later date.

- I can only go on what information I have right now. Some games will slip to next year; others will be added to the schedule.

- For the sake of brevity any download-only titles (XBLA, PSN, VC, Steam, etc.) and games for last-gen systems (PS2, original Xbox, GBA) are excluded from the list.

- This list only covers games exclusive to the Wii. Games appearing on multiple platforms will be covered later on.

- The Hidden Gem is a game in each category that doesn't have a lot of hype or buzz surrounding it but still looks, to me at least, like a winner

Wii - First Party

Title - Animal Crossing Wii
Genre - Simulation
Developer - Nintendo EAD
The newest iteration of Nintendo's addictive cutesy animal sim promises to make full use of both the Wii's control scheme and its 24/7 net connectivity. The developer promises that the game will utilize the WiiConnect feature in new and interesting ways, including the ability to visit friends' homes and leave messages even while the console is off.

Title - Battalion Wars 2
Genre - Strategy/Action
Developer - Kuiu Entertainment
The sequel to everybody's favorite super cute war game, Bwii (awww, that's adorable) brings back everything that made the first one a lot of fun and adds online play to boot. Expect the story to be similar in tone to the previous Battalion Wars, not too complex but still interesting enough. Also on tap for this one: a refined user interface, new maps, new units and even more factions than before.

Title - Big Brain Academy - Wii Degree
Genre - Puzzle
Developer - Nintendo
The newest game in the Touch! Generations series is coming home to the Wii. Expect much of the same brain teaser-filled gameplay you saw on the previous DS version of the game, plus more, including Mii integration. Yeah, so it isn't the most innovative of games, but this series of games has a pretty large following on the DS. I'm not sure how well it will fare on a console rather than a handheld, but any game that makes you expand your mind is a good thing in my book.

Hidden Gem
Title - Disaster: Day of Crisis
Genre - Action
Developer - Monolith Soft
Day of Crisis hearkens back to the old days of the classic Hollywood disaster movie. That is if all of those movies happened at once, all in the same place. You play the head of an elite rescue force having one hell of a bad day. In addition to the Old Testament style disaster you also have to contend with some knuckleheads trying to take advantage of the situation.... with a nuclear weapon of course. (wait, isn't that the plot of the next season of 24?) Day of Crisis looks to be taking the underserved middle ground between the ultra cutesy games and the ultra bloody mature games.

Title - Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Genre - Tactical RPG
Developer - Intelligent Systems
One of the best strategic RPGs of the last generation come to the Wii. Deep, compelling strategic situations coupled with a fun art style made the earlier Fire Emblem winners across several Nintendo platforms, and we have every reason to believe that the Wii version will continue the tradition.

Title - Mario Strikers Charged
Genre - Sports
Developer - Next Level Games
The newest entry into the Nintendo-mascots-play-sports franchise has Mario and his friends sprinting to the pitch. Like previous games expect to use a variety of power-ups and special moves to add a little spice to The Beautiful Game. Gamers will also be able to play casual matches online against their friends and family with the Friend Codes, or ranked matches against random opponents.

Title - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Genre - FPS
Developer - Retro Studios
You know the drill. Female bounty hunter. Non-linear gameplay. Lots of items and powerups. Morphball. Evil aliens. Arm blaster with missiles. What more is there to add? Rumors of online play swirl, but nothing firm has been forthcoming from either Nintendo or Retro. But even without online multiplayer you know we'll still be getting a top-notch shooter for the Wii.

Title - Pokémon Battle Revolution
Genre - RPG
Developer - Genius Sonority
"My pokemans, let me show you them!"

The franchise gamers (sometimes) love (to hate) is coming to the Wii. Featuring Wi-Fi connectivity with the DS as well as over the internet Pokemon Battle Revolution promises more of what gamers want - namely forcing cute little animals to fight for our pleasure. PETA is not amused. Upload critters from the recently released Diamond and Pearl versions on the DS for use with the Wii version to maximize the Pokemadness.

Title - Super Mario Galaxy
Genre - Platformer
Developer - Nintendo
The greatest returns once again. It's not a Nintendo system until you have a Mario platformer. The game mechanics are a blend of elements that should be familiar to anyone who's played a 3D Mario game with planetoid hopping. Collect stars, grab power-ups, stomp turtles and outsmart bosses all in an attempt to save Princess Peach....again. What more could you ask for?

How about multiplayer? While the details of the multiplayer have yet to be announced look for some form of co-op play to be available in the game.

Title - Super Smash Bros. - Brawl
Genre - Fighter
Developer - Nintendo
The brawl is back. Play as some of Nintendo's most beloved characters, including Link, Mario, Pit, Kirby and Samus, as they beat the living crap out of one another in the most adorable way possible. I'm still not sure how well fighting games will work with the Wiimote, but this title likely will be the best opportunity to find out.

Coming Tomorrow: Wii - Third Party

Previously
Xbox 360 - First Party
Xbox 360 - Third Party
Playstation 3 - First Party
Playstation 3 - Third Party
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Gorvi
Dark Resistant

Mario Galaxy, if done right and better than Sunshine, will make me buy a Wii. I would say the same thing about Metroid, but I'm a bit concerned that they're going to stray away from the adventure style of gameplay and go more shooter heavy. If not, that'll be another must buy. Fire Emblem could be another good one, though I've yet to play a game in the series. That reminds me I need to hook the GC back up and take that one out of the shrink wrap. Disaster : Day of Crisis is another wait and see, though it looks like it has a lot of potential.
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Odyzen
Retired

I don't disagree with your choices, but I do about what you think are Hidden Gems. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Mario Strikers all have some form of hype to them.

Everybody in this forum who has a Wii always mention how they are waiting for MP3 and that's the reason why they haven't trade-in the Wii. Super Smash Bros, though in-frequent, have been in the news because of the third party characters, as well they are redoing their site and have left a countdown bar in its place. Striker is the first game to really use the online multiplayer option for the english speaker. Mario Galaxy, c'mon it's Mario.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Sandman
Banned

I'm not so sure any of these games are coming out this year outside of Pokemon and Strikers.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Hemalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyzen
I don't disagree with your choices, but I do about what you think are Hidden Gems. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Mario Strikers all have some form of hype to them.
Only Disaster: Day of Crisis is a Hidden Gem. This is just a preview of 2007 games.

When did we hear anything about Animal Crossing Wii? I barely recall it being officially announced let alone coming in 2007.
Hemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Elo

While I still regret buying a Wii so early, it does make me happy to see there are some games coming out for it with allot of potential.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Ph00p
Evil Dead

Wow, when does the 2nd half officially end? I can't see nintendo pushing BOTH Galaxy and MP3 out the door in the same half, seems too soon for those lousy bastards. Jesus what will they do for the next 4 years after those games?

I too regret buying a Wii at launch, sure it was AMAZING for like 3 months but now I've got a craving for a 360 elite and some *gasp* ONLINE play! Something Wii will never do right .
Ph00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Camel
The Dude abides.

I really had high hopes for the first Batallion Wars game, but I thought it STUNK. I hope the second turns out a little better.

The Fire Emblem series is one of my all time favorites, so I am definitely looking forward to that.

Smash Bros is my favorite game EVER, but I will be surprised (and delighted!!!) if it is released this year. Maybe we'll find out in a few days when that countdown reaches zero! The fact that there hasn't been any new info since November makes me feel like it isn't ready yet, but I guess it could be the opposite as well.

Everything else on the list is interesting as well, the rest of this year is going to be a good time to be a video gamer.

JUST SAY NO TO ANONYMOUS POLLS!
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

I owe it all to the Wii for not making my old 32" CRT completely useless!
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph00p
I too regret buying a Wii at launch, sure it was AMAZING for like 3 months but now I've got a craving for a 360 elite and some *gasp* ONLINE play! Something Wii will never do right .
I'd love to get my hands on a 360, but I'm opposed to spending that much on a game console, 400aud for the wii was ridiculous but I got it despite my better judgement. Plus, I don't have a HDTV, so there isn't much point to getting a hd game console.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Joe3DR
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemalin
When did we hear anything about Animal Crossing Wii? I barely recall it being officially announced let alone coming in 2007.
I was thinking that myself. When Animal Crossing Wii comes out, I'm for some serious drop in playtime for my 360 as well as all TV and movies. I played the heck out of that on my Gamecube.

So where's the info that implies that it "reasonably might be out in the latter half of 2007"? I'd like to see something myself, as I've not seen anything.
Joe3DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
Camel
The Dude abides.

Does it even matter that Animal Crossing Wii has hardly any info about it?

I really doubt it will be all that different from the first game, from graphics to gameplay. They can probably pump it out in a weekend.

JUST SAY NO TO ANONYMOUS POLLS!
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
Evil Avnovice
Wii Defense Force tool

Out of all ten of those, five I look forward to. Animal Crossing and Smash Bros. Brawl are my personal highlights.

Note: Mario Strikers Charged may end up being my sleeper hit.
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #14
tombofsoldier
Irascibley Complacent

Metroid 3, Galaxy, and best of all Smash Bros Brawl are reasons enough for me to buy a Wii.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #15
Rune_74
Banned

Only one or two of those games appeal to anyone over the age of 12, I'm sorry this would be great for my son, but I would not spend much time with these.
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
CapnBob
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune_74
Only one or two of those games appeal to anyone over the age of 12, I'm sorry this would be great for my son, but I would not spend much time with these.
Over the age of 12 and under the age of 17. Only teenagers are insecure enough to hate on a fun game just because it's not all dark and bloody.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Skyelan
Not a freak, just stupid

Quote:
I feel bad for your son if his father is so insecure about how 'mature' and 'cool' he looks when playing moving pictures on the TV.

But yeah, I don't think Animal Crossing should be on the list. Everything else has a big chance of coming out this year. Sure, it has a chance at being announced at E3 or something, but we knew about AC: DS right around the DS launch. We don't even have pictures yet, sadly.
Skyelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
Heretic Machine
Peon

Quote:
Fact: A game's maturity is directly equivallent to the amount of tits and blood present in said game.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
joshkdmw

I'm really looking forward to Battalion Wars online. That was a really good game, but I always wanted to play other people.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #20
Yellowman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hahahahahaha. You are so cool and mature. You must be one of those teenage fathers.
Yellowman is offline   Reply With Quote