Favorite VR Games
Last post by GreenZA
Today 03:13 AM
1 Replies, 14,519 Views

Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

The Fall of Joystiq

Breitbart has an interesting article detailing the fall of Joystiq. In it, the author attribute's Joystiq's demise to its current editor, Susan Arendt and her toxic behavior:

Quote:
Perhaps it has something to do with how Arendt treats staff who work for her. Journalist Allistair Pinsof recalls: “I flew out [to the E3 conference] and got a hotel on my own – not uncommon for most people’s first E3 – and happily worked my ass off. Susan Arendt is an awesome editor in a technical sense but I found her a very toxic person to work under.
It's also worth noting that:
Quote:
Arendt herself, of course, was a high-profile member of the notorious GameJournoPros mailing list, on which prominent games journalists and editors discussed which stories to cover and, in at least one case, pressured journalists from other organisations to censor user comments about controversial industry issues.
Full write-up here.

With the seemingly inevitable demise of Joystiq, I think that mainstream game journalism is on the decline. Youtube coverage is incredibly popular. Do you think written pieces are dead? What kind of coverage do you tend to favor?
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Yes, written pieces are dead. I never more than skimmed them anyway and most of the time just looked at the grade if it was a review. And I'm the highly literate type. What does that tell you? If I'm going to read articles I'm going to look for Edge or even GameInformer.

That's why pithy gaming news delivered EvAv style is so awesome. You get the news, a link, and a pithy comment, then a reader comments section. It's AWESOME.

You don't need to be exposed to the full shitty onions of some self proclaimed gaming expert on the staff, who is preaching to a choir and is likely to say something stupid and liberal and alienate you.

You just need to be exposed to my own shitty opinions if you bother to read them. But just remember, I write my thoughts more to amuse myself than to contribute to meaningful conversations. And I will admit amusement to some responses I receive, but I never lie to try and elicit a reaction, that would be trolling.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
written pieces have been proven to be no more reliable/trustworthy/unsolicited/uncompensated than youtube pieces, so might as well just go to youtube and see the game in action for yourself to at least get an inkling of whether there's any point of caring about a game.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
AlfredT
Evil Dead

This doesn't have shit to do with the piece, but fuck the labeling of everything you disapprove of or hate as liberals. And its not just electro its a lot of regular posters on this site.

Every fucking thread in this board is derailed or tainted by political name calling. Who gives a flying fuck if you hate liberals or cons, point out the specific shit people say and why its not cool or ethical; don't just knee jerk blanket coat everything "bad" as liberal please.

Fuck I hate SJWs and I hate the super PC fascism that poses as the liberal elite as much as any of you. But using the liberal label as the equivalent of a yellow star doesn't help contribute to anything other than borderline retards foaming at the mouth ala Anita Sarkeesian fans.

I am not saying that your arguments/disgust against that political spectrum are unfounded, just the vitriol and labeling/name calling is pathetic, detracts from your stance and detracts from intelligent discussion in general.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Also, gaming journalism, especially written pieces would be easier to read if most of the writing wasn't grade 3 ESL level tripe or on the opposite spectrum, so pretentious it makes you want to vomit.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
This doesn't have shit to do with the piece, but fuck the labeling of everything you disapprove of or hate as liberals. And its not just electro its a lot of regular posters on this site.

Every fucking thread in this board is derailed or tainted by political name calling. Who gives a flying fuck if you hate liberals or cons, point out the specific shit people say and why its not cool or ethical; don't just knee jerk blanket coat everything "bad" as liberal please.

Fuck I hate SJWs and I hate the super PC fascism that poses as the liberal elite as much as any of you. But using the liberal label as the equivalent of a yellow star doesn't help contribute to anything other than borderline retards foaming at the mouth ala Anita Sarkeesian fans.

I am not saying that your arguments/disgust against that political spectrum are unfounded, just the vitriol and labeling/name calling is pathetic, detracts from your stance and detracts from intelligent discussion in general.
Who is this addressed to? A little confused.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Some of us review games because we like em/are against mainstream sites. I think even Sai's little blog is about JUST that. His love for his hobby.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Kick them while they're down! That's what made Pride exciting. What are we talking about in this thread?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Hookers and child labor.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Qoz
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
ral.
True.
Still like the site though, but wish people would not mention political views / "agenda" conspiracy in almost every thread / news post.
Qoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
bub64882
Evil Dead

I visit wow.joystiq.com pretty frequently...It gives good mobile. I'll be sad to see it go.

Otherwise, maybe we should get 17 different sites to simultaneously post articles that "GAME JOURNOS ARE DEAD".
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
You don't need to be exposed to the full shitty onions of some self proclaimed gaming expert on the staff
Agreed. In most cases they don't know any more than the comments section folks do, and in some cases they know even LESS than people who just comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #13
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I like well written articles about interesting stories. I'm not really interested in reviews as much as I used to be. I'll just watch a gameplay video if I'm undecided.

The youtube journalism is mostly garbage though. They mostly come off as a bunch of CartmanBrah's and I find it all quite annoying, just fishing for likes in the same way news now fishes for clicks.

Basically I like what Edge used to do. Good interviews where they ask good questions, looking at the actual games industry, doing things on stuff from back in the day that might have influenced games, maybe a story about a studio that's shut down and what they did. Shit worth reading basically.

I imagine that's gone to shit like everything else now as videogame journalism slides into the same pit news went into which was rapidly followed by general journalism. Now it's just who can get the "scoop" first.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT
...detracts from intelligent discussion in general.
Sorry, but you missed the progressives' memo that discussion is only tolerable when it operates within their prescribed limits.

In other words, they can screw off, and so can you if you wish to determine for others what is 'intelligent' and not.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Got bored, got a subscription to Edge, let's see if it's gone to shit.

Got an interview with Miles Jacobson so that's already points in the bank.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Sorry, but you missed the progressives' memo that discussion is only tolerable when it operates within their prescribed limits.
Quote:
In other words, they can screw off, and so can you if you wish to determine for others what is 'intelligent' and not.
Sounds a bit like what you're doing... just sayin'.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Bullshit. You are free to discuss whatever you wish. I am free to agree or disagree with it.

That is NOT the progressive/liberal perspective today, however, and that is a fact. Words and ideas are being censored in America and the Western world, and they're NOT being censored by conservatives or libertarians. Progressives and liberals are doing that.

As I said, "...if you wish to determine for others what is 'intelligent' and not" then you can just bugger off with your censorious perspective.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Bullshit. You are free to discuss whatever you wish. I am free to agree or disagree with it.
Ain't what you said though. You essentially said he should shut up because you disagree with him.

Quote:
That is NOT the progressive/liberal perspective today, however, and that is a fact. Words and ideas are being censored in America and the Western world, and they're NOT being censored by conservatives or libertarians. Progressives and liberals are doing that.
Progressives and liberals are stopping teachers from teaching contraceptive use or the theory of evolution in some schools? Conservatives and libertarians don't want to squash the idea of a woman's right to choose?

I have pork chops to tend to. BBL.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
WpnX
Evil Dead

Here's a gem from the same author.
WpnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Ain't what you said though.
Learn to read.

"discussion is only tolerable when it operates within their prescribed limits.... they can screw off, and so can you if you wish to determine for others what is 'intelligent' and not."

If your purpose, or his, is to determine what people can and cannot talk about, screw off. We don't need a bunch of stinking censorious progressives telling people what to think or how to behave. One of the joys of EvAv is that it's the Mos Eisley of gaming sites.

We like our stew. We don't need a cook with a prescribed recipe.

Quote:
Progressives and liberals are stopping teachers from teaching contraceptive use or the theory of evolution in some schools? Conservatives and libertarians don't want to squash the idea of a woman's right to choose?.
Progressives regulating sugar, fat, and soda/portion sizes.
Progressives regulating words and thoughts on, and off, campus.
Progressives regulating sexual intimacy on campus.
Progressives...in your bedroom, in your vocabulary, in your food...EVERYWHERE THEY CAN BE to interfere in your life.

Also, 3,000 dead babies A DAY isn't a choice, buddy. It's DEAD BABIES.
Quote:

Tags
#gamersgate, joystiq, susan arendt, total biscuit, youtube