Today 10:37 AM
12 Replies, 669 Views

Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #21
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Next shipments are in April i think.
I can't wait that long :P I paid someone to wait in line for me, be here in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlukeguy View Post
I'm only interested in the new Zelda game. It's probably a good time to find a used Wii U on ebay/craigslist and play it on that.
The new Mariokart and Mario games also look quite good.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #22
screwyluie
Evil Dead

I love yahtzee, but I'm disappointed in his switch part of the review. it felt like he was just regurgitating other people's thoughts. He's usually better at coming up with his own reasons.

and yes the port is on the bottom of the device, look at the dock design, where else would you put the port to easily slide the console in and out? look at an iphone dock or any other dock and where is the port? news flash, docks have charging ports on the bottom. The docked mode is an integral part of the design of the switch so I don't really see anywhere else they could put it... can you?
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
Terran
Evil Dead

It does make complete sense to put the power input/port on the bottom for docking purposes (where else, after all?). The problem is that the Switch is intended to be used in a variety of settings and ways, not just in the dock, and when you try to be 'all things' like that, you end up with compromises. If people are really going to be able to set the device down on a surface and play, with a battery that clearly won't last forever, they need to be able to power it through the input at the same time. This will be problematic and is an engineering limitation/flaw that is only a flaw, really, because the device wants to be so many things and the more you add to the list, the more likely tradeoffs have to be made.

That's a big one, but not as big as putting the power input in an area where it would interfere with docking, so they did what was necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It does make complete sense to put the power input/port on the bottom for docking purposes (where else, after all?). The problem is that the Switch is intended to be used in a variety of settings and ways, not just in the dock, and when you try to be 'all things' like that, you end up with compromises. If people are really going to be able to set the device down on a surface and play, with a battery that clearly won't last forever, they need to be able to power it through the input at the same time. This will be problematic and is an engineering limitation/flaw that is only a flaw, really, because the device wants to be so many things and the more you add to the list, the more likely tradeoffs have to be made.

That's a big one, but not as big as putting the power input in an area where it would interfere with docking, so they did what was necessary.
Ummm... it could have had TWO places where power can be connected, depending on purpose. Jesus Christ, Sony figured this out on the DS3 CONTROLLER for crying out loud, you can feed it power at the top OR the bottom depending on use case. If I connect a wire, its at the top. If I put in the official Japanese charging station, its at the bottom! So yeah, epic fail Nintendo engineering.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #25
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I have always loved ZP.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #26
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Ummm... it could have had TWO places where power can be connected, depending on purpose.
Of course, but you can be sure that would have been more expensive as well. That's why I called it an engineering failure, but it's also a design failure. Ultimately, they want to do more things than they are clearly able to do capably with the device, because a blocked power input when the device is used as advertised is pretty bad. Understandable, but bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #27
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

A way to play in table top mode while charging would be cool (and you can do it with various 3rd party stands that are supposedly already available) but just for an anecdotal real world example, we had a snow day the other day and the kids wanted to play the Switch. I was working though and the Switch is in our office room. So they hauled it upstairs and played at the kitchen table. It was a mix of Zelda and Shovel night and the battery easily lasted the three hours they were playing and had juice to spare. It was sitting around the low 40s to high 30s% range of battery left when they were done. Again this was about 3 hours of playtime. I honestly think I'd get sick of playing in tabletop mode for more than an hour or so with my old eyes. For me, TV mode and handheld are much more preferable and you can charge the console during both of those. No it's not a perfect system but I think this is a pretty minor complaint.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I find it refreshing actually in general that he says outloud what most people think in general, rather than kissing publisher and developers asses like most reviewers.
It was refreshing 10 years ago when he first started making these videos. I "gave up" on the series because his shtick got a little tired; he's always going to be overly critical and nitpicky with his complaints, with the occasional burst of positivity. Yeah, he points out stuff that other publications and reviewers tend to gloss over. With that being said, I stopped watching because I essentially already know what he's going to say during each video.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch, switch, zelda: breath of the wild