Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Once Upon A Deadpool |...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 08:11 PM
5 Replies, 455 Views
So Long...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 08:00 PM
5 Replies, 256 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 03:41 PM
7 Replies, 467 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 02:56 PM
2,800 Replies, 356,297 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by EmoryM
11-18-2018 09:17 PM
13 Replies, 954 Views
Marvel's Stan Lee Series...
Last post by Mad Max RW
11-18-2018 05:16 PM
52 Replies, 2,638 Views
New Alita Battle Angel...
Last post by gunbust3r
11-18-2018 10:41 AM
31 Replies, 2,411 Views
Sins of a Solar Empire:...
Last post by Mozain
11-18-2018 10:26 AM
1 Replies, 310 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,194
Blog Entries: 20
Nintendo Confirms No Netflix or Other Streaming Services for Switch at Launch


Nintendo has confirmed that the Switch will not have any streaming video services, not even industry giant Netflix.

Quote:
Asked if the console will support streaming services, Nintendo said such functionality won't be available at launch.

"All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch," offered Nintendo in a statement. "However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update."
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,193
You made a fucking tablet, you morons.

Nintendo just guaranteed users need a second set top box. Great job! Maybe they should ask RIM how successful can be an ecosystem without apps.

It's like Nintendo found out I was interested in this device and are doing everything to squash that.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

It's like Nintendo found out I was interested in this device and are doing everything to squash that.
You need another device to run Netflix? In 2017 you havent got your Netflix sorted out and you need your Nintendo Switch to run Netflix? You don't have a smart TV? You don't have a Roku, a Fire Stick, or Apple TV? The Fire Stick is particularly good IMO. It's tiny, hooks to the back of your TV, and you don't even see it.

Being that my TV itself runs Netflix and the Fire Stick attached to it runs Netflix, and everything else I own in my house runs Netflix, this is doesn't even fall anywhere on my radar as something to care about at launch. When it comes to the TV this means nothing to me. Not getting netflix on the go with it is a minor miss for Nintendo, but still, doesn't come close to breaking my heart. If I'm on the go and have the Switch, I'm probably going to be playing games.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead
 
MechaDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 328
I am 100% ok with this decision. I don't need or care about yet another device attached to my TV that can give me Netflix. I already have my PS4 if really want to watch something on Netflix in my living room, my phone if I want to watch something on the go, and my PC if I want to watch something in my office. This news just tells me that they're focusing more on it being a game platform than a media platform and that is perfectly fine.
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead
 
Capt_Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5,615
Quote:
You need another device to run Netflix? In 2017 you havent got your Netflix sorted out and you need your Nintendo Switch to run Netflix? You don't have a smart TV? You don't have a Roku, a Fire Stick, or Apple TV? The Fire Stick is particularly good IMO. It's tiny, hooks to the back of your TV, and you don't even see it.
You can't take your TV into another room or on a plane or whatever. It's a wifi enabled tablet, it should have access to streaming services.

That said, this stuff will undoubtedly show up. They prolly just had trouble squaring it away for launch, and the Switch is clearly less "TV!TV!TV!" than the WiiU was. Netflix likes making apps to put on stuff, and the last three Nintendo platforms all have had a Netflix app. Just have to use one of our billion other Netflix-capable devices until they work out the API or whatever.

I'm stuck with the WiiU hooked up on the main TV regardless, on account of no Smash Bros. They confirmed no support for Wii U controllers too, but said "Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update." Have a feeling if that doesn't mean the GCN adapter, I won't be able to relocate the WiiU for the entire generation.
__________________
NNID/GfWL: CaptThad - Raptr - Steam ID
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
You can't take your TV into another room or on a plane or whatever. It's a wifi enabled tablet, it should have access to streaming services.

That said, this stuff will undoubtedly show up. They prolly just had trouble squaring it away for launch, and the Switch is clearly less "TV!TV!TV!" than the WiiU was. Netflix likes making apps to put on stuff, and the last three Nintendo platforms all have had a Netflix app. Just have to use one of our billion other Netflix-capable devices until they work out the API or whatever.

I'm stuck with the WiiU hooked up on the main TV regardless, on account of no Smash Bros. They confirmed no support for Wii U controllers too, but said "Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update." Have a feeling if that doesn't mean the GCN adapter, I won't be able to relocate the WiiU for the entire generation.
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how these things work. But, I wonder if Nintendo did it for bargaining purposes. I wonder if Nintendo gets better leverage if they has that deal out in a year verses doing it right now.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how these things work.
We know. You've made that crystal clear.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDangerous View Post
I am 100% ok with this decision. I don't need or care about yet another device attached to my TV that can give me Netflix. I already have my PS4 if really want to watch something on Netflix in my living room, my phone if I want to watch something on the go, and my PC if I want to watch something in my office. This news just tells me that they're focusing more on it being a game platform than a media platform and that is perfectly fine.
Yeah, I'm okay with this decision, as well. As I've said in other threads, I have no intention of taking the Switch out and about; it'll be used to relocate to other rooms or keep playing while the TV is otherwise occupied.

I'm going to use the Switch to play games, not watch Netflix. I have two other devices - the One and PS4 - for that.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,615
Right now my son is sitting g on the couch watching YouTube on the WiiU.

Can't say I'm happy about this.
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
GinRummy
Evil Dead
 
GinRummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 396
Rumors say that they'll replace the built-in cassette player with a DVD player with a firmware update in the near future. No word yet backwards 8-track compatibility.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,589
At launch.

If the Wii U supporters this stuff, I have no doubt the Switch will too eventually. Maybe I'll use it and maybe I won't. As others have said, we have tons of devices that run Netflix in our house. The kids don't use any of our game systems for it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,689
Maybe they're banking on so many TVs offering Netflix/YouTube/Etc. through the TV itself now?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Many cultures of the world marry girls off after their first menses, around 13 years old. I can't say that's inherently immoral, no.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,518
And no achievements/trophies to boot while have to pay for online service.

DEAD ON ARRIVAL... DO NOT BUY.... Nintendo should stick to making toys.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,518
So its called the SWITCH and left to right you go from Blue to Red on the controller. Just like the switch in American politics. Intentional?
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,341
The Nintendo apologists are a resistant bunch. Its like they warp reality so whatever dumb shit Nintendo does they can be ok with. But no one else gets a pass anywhere.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
godsfriend
Death Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
Well of course it will be added in an update, but this should really be there from the get-go.
godsfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
And no achievements/trophies to boot while have to pay for online service.

DEAD ON ARRIVAL... DO NOT BUY.... Nintendo should stick to making toys.
Yup, it's dead on arrival because it doesn't have pointless achievements and e-penis points.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #18
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead
 
Capt_Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5,615
To be fair, they haven't really detailed the new account features yet. We're hearing about that stuff later. Could be we will see an achievement system. WiiU's miiverse achievement stamps were pretty half-baked though.
__________________
NNID/GfWL: CaptThad - Raptr - Steam ID
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
So its called the SWITCH and left to right you go from Blue to Red on the controller. Just like the switch in American politics. Intentional?
I'm sure a Japanese company really cares about something like the color schemes typically associated with our two major political parties.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,589
I'd be much more disappointed in a lack of achievements than a lack of Netflix.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo switch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 AM.