Sins of a Solar Empire:...
Last post by Mozain
11-18-2018 10:26 AM
1 Replies, 310 Views

Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo Confirms No Netflix or Other Streaming Services for Switch at Launch

Nintendo has confirmed that the Switch will not have any streaming video services, not even industry giant Netflix.

Quote:
Asked if the console will support streaming services, Nintendo said such functionality won't be available at launch.

"All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch," offered Nintendo in a statement. "However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update."
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

You made a fucking tablet, you morons.

Nintendo just guaranteed users need a second set top box. Great job! Maybe they should ask RIM how successful can be an ecosystem without apps.

It's like Nintendo found out I was interested in this device and are doing everything to squash that.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

It's like Nintendo found out I was interested in this device and are doing everything to squash that.
You need another device to run Netflix? In 2017 you havent got your Netflix sorted out and you need your Nintendo Switch to run Netflix? You don't have a smart TV? You don't have a Roku, a Fire Stick, or Apple TV? The Fire Stick is particularly good IMO. It's tiny, hooks to the back of your TV, and you don't even see it.

Being that my TV itself runs Netflix and the Fire Stick attached to it runs Netflix, and everything else I own in my house runs Netflix, this is doesn't even fall anywhere on my radar as something to care about at launch. When it comes to the TV this means nothing to me. Not getting netflix on the go with it is a minor miss for Nintendo, but still, doesn't come close to breaking my heart. If I'm on the go and have the Switch, I'm probably going to be playing games.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

I am 100% ok with this decision. I don't need or care about yet another device attached to my TV that can give me Netflix. I already have my PS4 if really want to watch something on Netflix in my living room, my phone if I want to watch something on the go, and my PC if I want to watch something in my office. This news just tells me that they're focusing more on it being a game platform than a media platform and that is perfectly fine.
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
You need another device to run Netflix? In 2017 you havent got your Netflix sorted out and you need your Nintendo Switch to run Netflix? You don't have a smart TV? You don't have a Roku, a Fire Stick, or Apple TV? The Fire Stick is particularly good IMO. It's tiny, hooks to the back of your TV, and you don't even see it.
You can't take your TV into another room or on a plane or whatever. It's a wifi enabled tablet, it should have access to streaming services.

That said, this stuff will undoubtedly show up. They prolly just had trouble squaring it away for launch, and the Switch is clearly less "TV!TV!TV!" than the WiiU was. Netflix likes making apps to put on stuff, and the last three Nintendo platforms all have had a Netflix app. Just have to use one of our billion other Netflix-capable devices until they work out the API or whatever.

I'm stuck with the WiiU hooked up on the main TV regardless, on account of no Smash Bros. They confirmed no support for Wii U controllers too, but said "Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update." Have a feeling if that doesn't mean the GCN adapter, I won't be able to relocate the WiiU for the entire generation.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
You can't take your TV into another room or on a plane or whatever. It's a wifi enabled tablet, it should have access to streaming services.

That said, this stuff will undoubtedly show up. They prolly just had trouble squaring it away for launch, and the Switch is clearly less "TV!TV!TV!" than the WiiU was. Netflix likes making apps to put on stuff, and the last three Nintendo platforms all have had a Netflix app. Just have to use one of our billion other Netflix-capable devices until they work out the API or whatever.

I'm stuck with the WiiU hooked up on the main TV regardless, on account of no Smash Bros. They confirmed no support for Wii U controllers too, but said "Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update." Have a feeling if that doesn't mean the GCN adapter, I won't be able to relocate the WiiU for the entire generation.
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how these things work. But, I wonder if Nintendo did it for bargaining purposes. I wonder if Nintendo gets better leverage if they has that deal out in a year verses doing it right now.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how these things work.
We know. You've made that crystal clear.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDangerous View Post
I am 100% ok with this decision. I don't need or care about yet another device attached to my TV that can give me Netflix. I already have my PS4 if really want to watch something on Netflix in my living room, my phone if I want to watch something on the go, and my PC if I want to watch something in my office. This news just tells me that they're focusing more on it being a game platform than a media platform and that is perfectly fine.
Yeah, I'm okay with this decision, as well. As I've said in other threads, I have no intention of taking the Switch out and about; it'll be used to relocate to other rooms or keep playing while the TV is otherwise occupied.

I'm going to use the Switch to play games, not watch Netflix. I have two other devices - the One and PS4 - for that.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Right now my son is sitting g on the couch watching YouTube on the WiiU.

Can't say I'm happy about this.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Rumors say that they'll replace the built-in cassette player with a DVD player with a firmware update in the near future. No word yet backwards 8-track compatibility.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

At launch.

If the Wii U supporters this stuff, I have no doubt the Switch will too eventually. Maybe I'll use it and maybe I won't. As others have said, we have tons of devices that run Netflix in our house. The kids don't use any of our game systems for it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Maybe they're banking on so many TVs offering Netflix/YouTube/Etc. through the TV itself now?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

And no achievements/trophies to boot while have to pay for online service.

DEAD ON ARRIVAL... DO NOT BUY.... Nintendo should stick to making toys.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

So its called the SWITCH and left to right you go from Blue to Red on the controller. Just like the switch in American politics. Intentional?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
shadow763
Lord of Woe

The Nintendo apologists are a resistant bunch. Its like they warp reality so whatever dumb shit Nintendo does they can be ok with. But no one else gets a pass anywhere.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
godsfriend
Death Knight

Well of course it will be added in an update, but this should really be there from the get-go.
godsfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
And no achievements/trophies to boot while have to pay for online service.

DEAD ON ARRIVAL... DO NOT BUY.... Nintendo should stick to making toys.
Yup, it's dead on arrival because it doesn't have pointless achievements and e-penis points.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #18
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

To be fair, they haven't really detailed the new account features yet. We're hearing about that stuff later. Could be we will see an achievement system. WiiU's miiverse achievement stamps were pretty half-baked though.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
So its called the SWITCH and left to right you go from Blue to Red on the controller. Just like the switch in American politics. Intentional?
I'm sure a Japanese company really cares about something like the color schemes typically associated with our two major political parties.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I'd be much more disappointed in a lack of achievements than a lack of Netflix.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo switch