15 Replies, 1,098 Views
Disney's Dumbo Trailer...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:14 AM
12 Replies, 941 Views

Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Early Reports Indicate Connection Issues for the Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con Controller

The Escapist has the story.

Quote:
With just one week to launch, a number of people in the gaming press who have received the Nintendo Switch early are reporting connection issues for the Joy-Con controller, specifically the left controller.

The video below showcases the issue, which appears to be occurring when the Joy-Con controller is covered or something is between the Joy-Con and the console. However, that's also when intentionally attempting to replicate the issue, so it's not immediately clear if that is the only time it is occurring.
Click on the Headline for a Video Report from GameXplain.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

It's not a desync; the issue is being caused by Bluetooth tech. They're using Bluetooth 3.0, which operates at a higher frequency...but, this means the signal can get blocked easier.

Essentially, the user's body is absorbing the Bluetooth signal in certain cases. Additionally, it's an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update to booth the strength of the signal.

It's non-news.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-24-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Odd that this wouldn't present as a problem when the joycons were attached to the joycon grip. No matter what it is, Nintendo normally as a reputation for producing really solid hardware so this is disappointing.

And now I just read Chimp's post so never mind what I said.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's not a desync; the issue is being caused by Bluetooth tech. They're using Bluetooth 3.1, which operates at a higher frequency...but, this means the signal can get blocked easier.

Essentially, the user's body is absorbing the Bluetooth signal in certain cases. Additionally, it's an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update to booth the strength of the signal.

It's non-news.
It's non news why? If this were MS the pitchforks would be out. Nintendo isn't perfect, they make mistakes.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's non news why? If this were MS the pitchforks would be out. Nintendo isn't perfect, they make mistakes.
They're releasing a day one update to rectify the issue; actual consumers really won't be affected by it. It's a non-controversy caused by Bluetooth tech and can be easily fixed with a simple software update.

It won't be an issue this time next week when the thing is officially out in the wild.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Odd that this wouldn't present as a problem when the joycons were attached to the joycon grip. No matter what it is, Nintendo normally as a reputation for producing really solid hardware so this is disappointing.
It's likely caused by the way the joycons are being held when not attached to the grip; they're small enough that the user's hands are essentially blocking out the Bluetooth signal. A simple firmware update is all that is necessary to boost the power of the signal to more sufficient levels.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They're releasing a day one update to rectify the issue; actual consumers really won't be affected by it. It's a non-controversy caused by Bluetooth tech and can be easily fixed with a simple software update.

It won't be an issue this time next week when the thing is officially out in the wild.
Kudos to them for getting right on it then. Credit where it's due.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Kudos to them for getting right on it then. Credit where it's due.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Lol Chief good one
Old 02-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's not a desync; the issue is being caused by Bluetooth tech. They're using Bluetooth 3.0, which operates at a higher frequency...but, this means the signal can get blocked easier.

It's non-news.
Except if the antenna is TOO WEAK, you can't boot the signal via firmware. That would be like programming a 40 watt bulb to operate at 100 watts.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

This will be non-news when it's confirmed to be solved. Until it's solved it's a problem. They can say it will be solved, but until it is solved it isn't.

It's not complicated. Until it's solved, it's not.

Quote:
Lol Chief good one
That was pretty good, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Except if the antenna is TOO WEAK, you can't boot the signal via firmware. That would be like programming a 40 watt bulb to operate at 100 watts.
Considering the fact they're using Bluetooth technology - supplied by Bluetooth - I'm sure all of the equipment in question is sufficient. Chances are, the amount of power being supplied to the Bluetooth radio isn't quiet sufficient enough as things currently stand. Assuming this is controlled by software (which is most certainly is), a firmware update will fix the issue.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
...a firmware update will fix the issue.
And yet, until it has, it hasn't. So...it's a problem!

How many times have we heard the whole 'We'll fix it no problem' line and how often is it accurate? I work in a bureaucracy, and when someone says it's as good as fixed I get ready to wait, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I would suggest that this might end up being a major problem. If you hand is powerful enough to block the signal, then how will this thing operate when it is all the way across the living room from you?
Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Hopefully they rectify this day 1. Sounds like they're going to as Chimpbot alluded to.

Some positive news for Nintendo:

Previews are starting to roll out for Zelda: BotW and it seems like most journalists agree that the game is incredible, and some are even saying it could be the best game in the series or the best game of all time, as a leaked Polygon preview claimed.

Some other praise via Twitter

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

I love that last quote. It is like when you see a movie trailer and they go "The best family movie of the year!" and it is only February.

Looking forward to the Switch, but I am going to hold my reservation on the quality of Breath of the Wind. Skyward Sword really disappointed me and the art direction of Breath of the Wind is really offputting (and I loved Wind Waker when it was released).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I love that last quote. It is like when you see a movie trailer and they go "The best family movie of the year!" and it is only February.
His very next Tweet:
"And maybe last year, too."

followed by

"Put it this way: I'm playing a fantastic game at the moment for review, and yet I'm counting the moments until I get back to Hyrule."

and

"It feels pretty special, folks. I think a lot of people are going to be very happy with it."

Obviously 1 or a few mans/womans opinions isn't the end-all, but that's some pretty high early praise. Though, I know, reviews only matter when they line up with someones expectations. But this Zelda is vastly different from Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, so hopefully for Nintendo it appeals to a broader range of gamers

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 02-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

To be honest, I loved Twighlight Princess when playing as wolf-link, when I wasn't forced to use the damned Wiimote controls, and Midna was genuinely interesting and entertaining.

What I have seen of Breath of the Wind just has not elicited the same excitement I used to get when watching a Zelda trailer, and that is mainly because the art direction has taken oversatured and bloom too far. I think Witcher: Blood and Wine really nailed the "fairytale" look so it is going to be hard to not make a comparison to it.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
To be honest, I loved Twighlight Princess when playing as wolf-link, when I wasn't forced to use the damned Wiimote controls, and Midna was genuinely interesting and entertaining.

What I have seen of Breath of the Wind just has not elicited the same excitement I used to get when watching a Zelda trailer, and that is mainly because the art direction has taken oversatured and bloom too far. I think Witcher: Blood and Wine really nailed the "fairytale" look so it is going to be hard to not make a comparison to it.
I hear ya. And Witcher 3 was an exceptional game to boot, so even harder not to draw comparisons. I hope Zelda lives up to the early hype, but we'll see. I'm not sure about the art direction either, but I DO like that they're doing different things. I guess it's a pretty difficult game and the physics based and environmental puzzles are very well done. We'll see how it all blends together.

Tags
nintendo switch, switch