Today 10:04 AM
13 Replies, 589 Views

Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Devotion, Removed From Steam Amidst Winnie The Pooh Controversy

Via Gamespot
Quote:
According to PC Gamer, Devotion launched to positive reviews. However, the Taiwanese first-person horror game came under fire when a piece of in-game art that seems to mock Chinese president Xi Jinping was discovered. The art compares the president to Winnie the Pooh, a comparison the Chinese government frequently objects to. Red Candle Games issued an initial apology--which implied the image was simply a placeholder--but after Devotion came under heavy review bombing, the developer followed up with a longer, more comprehensive apology.

"When the art material was made, each teammate was busy working on one's own tasks while chasing the deadline," Red Candle Games wrote in the second apology. "None of the other colleagues were aware of this. It was until we received a private report made by a player on February 21 that we realized what was exactly written on that art material. Upon learning of this, we immediately replaced the art material within an hour."

"We would also like to take this opportunity to reaffirm that Devotion's publisher Indievent and Winking Entertainment did not know about the art material beforehand and were not involved in this incident at all," the developer continued. "Currently our partnership has terminated." Red Candle Games ended the apology with the announcement that Devotion is now removed from Steam China. However, as of writing this article, the game is gone from Steam entirely. Every trailer for the game has been removed from Red Candle Games' YouTube channel as well.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I wonder what Red Candle Games' social credit score is now?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

@brandonjclark That was funny!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
GinRummy
Evil Dead

All this shit over Winnie the fucking Pooh? Jeebus, grow up and take a joke. This is nearly the least offensive thing I could possibly think of... yer idiots.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
All this shit over Winnie the fucking Pooh? Jeebus, grow up and take a joke. This is nearly the least offensive thing I could possibly think of... yer idiots.
It's apparently a big deal in China.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

I can't believe that Steam (the US version) would remove this game in America. Whatever happened to the first amendment?
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
wunshot
Subscriber

BTW, this type of shit is the endgame for the outrage mob and this PC culture we have these days.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
I can't believe that Steam (the US version) would remove this game in America. Whatever happened to the first amendment?
The company removed it, not Steam. I'm guessing the Chinese government had a little conversation with them that ended with "..or shit will happen" and they quickly decided to just pull the game altogether to cover their ass.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
MavenACTG
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
The company removed it, not Steam. I'm guessing the Chinese government had a little conversation with them that ended with "..or shit will happen" and they quickly decided to just pull the game altogether to cover their ass.
I can't tell what's harder to erase, a poor social credit score from criticizing Dear Leader or those one-offs where a person posts a drunk selfie to Facebook.

I'm thinking devoted Redhats (right-wing authoritarians) would crave for a Trump-like figure to dominate the national discourse, take out anyone disloyal or "UnAmerican" towards Dear Leader or the state, and create an authoritarian state.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
It's communist China really should anyone be surprised?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
The First Ammendment wouldn't be applicable. Even if the developer hadn't opted to pull the game from Steam, Steam is a private platform owned by a private company. They can put - or pull - whatever they want on their platform.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Everyone is acting like this is some surprise or some SJW leftist thingy...

Nope its just China being China.

I don't know why many people don't understand that despite their government being childish, corrupt and incompetent, the rest of the world's governments generally outdo North American ones for being crazy.

SA - Bans pikachu cuz it sounds like pick a jew.
Thailand - Laissez faire laws, you criticize the king, you go to jail. (if you are lucky, if you are students and the king fails at understanding a satricial play, get ready for his armed paramilitaries and army to rape you to death at university to the actual literal applause of Thai citizens)
Japan - Bans many drugs that are prescription and actually sends people to jail for things like having Vick Inhalers, Sudafed etc.,
Etc etc
Old 02-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Japan - Bans many drugs that are prescription and actually sends people to jail for things like having Vick Inhalers, Sudafed etc.,
Etc etc
I don't necessarily disbelieve the others but this one seems insane to me. I always wanted to go to Japan and I have regular sinus issues. I guess that's a recipe for a bad vacation.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
dirtbag
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I don't necessarily disbelieve the others but this one seems insane to me. I always wanted to go to Japan and I have regular sinus issues. I guess that's a recipe for a bad vacation.
I lived in Tokyo for 2 years, and many ‘normal’ medicines were prescription-only. However, there are generally equivalents. Additionally, you can bring in most personal meds with a prescription - just don’t try to have someone mail you a 6-month supply of Ritalin.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
They just consider pseudoephedrine to be a controlled substance, so a lot of our decongestants would be illegal over there.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They can put - or pull - whatever they want on their platform.
Not true. We have all kinds of permutations and protections and wrinkles in the law that make private companies liable for their business decisions related to employment, conduct, products and services, etc.

Bake that damn cake, they said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Not true. We have all kinds of permutations and protections and wrinkles in the law that make private companies liable for their business decisions related to employment, conduct, products and services, etc.

While there may be other effects and repercussions, they would still be free to place or remove content as they see fit on their own, private platform. The freedom of speech - which is what my comment was in response to - isn't applicable.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
...they would still be free to place or remove content as they see fit on their own, private platform.
And, as I've said, this isn't true.

Quote:
The freedom of speech - which is what my comment was in response to - isn't applicable.
Bzzzzt, wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, leaders with small dicks, pc game