10 Replies, 683 Views
Bandai Namco Confirms A...
Last post by LostToys
Yesterday 06:35 PM
2 Replies, 332 Views

Old 01-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Monster Hunter: World Reviews "A triumph for the series" "A hallmark of excellence"

GamesRadar - 5/5

Quote:
A triumph for the series and one of this generation's greatest games yet. Monster Hunter World takes the beating heart of a vital, niche franchise and elevates it toward universal appeal.
USgamer - 5/5

Quote:
Monster Hunter has been in need of a big change for years, and this reboot-of-sorts could have easily gone wrong. Instead, Capcom took a careful look at Monster Hunter's design and cut all the fat while leaving the series trademark dense gameplay completely intact. All the changes, from the broad, sweeping ones to the granular alterations, only serve to improve an already winning formula. The next generation of Monster Hunter has finally begun, and, with Monster Hunter World, it's off to an incredibly good start.
Trusted Reviews - 5/5

Quote:
Monster Hunter: World is one of the best RPGs youíll ever play, and the most inviting the series has ever been. Itís clear to see why the franchise has such a dedicated following, and now that fanbase is set to grow ever larger thanks to the incredible steps the developer has taken to make this game more welcoming to many more players.

For those with a penchant for punishment, a soft spot for stats, and a crush on brilliant combat Ė you simply have to buy this game.
Game Informer - 9.5/10

Quote:
Monster Hunter: World is the best game in the series, and a welcoming gateway for newcomers to get in on the tail-chopping, rodeo-riding, and titan-slaying. I never want to play the series on handheld again after this, as the grainy graphics and clawed clutch canít compare to the redefined experience core platforms facilitate.
IGN - 9.5/10

Quote:
Whether or not it's the best, this is certainly the most audacious Monster Hunter game. World takes a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new, simultaneously staying true to the seriesí ideals by maintaining the addictive loop of combat, intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love. The sheer depth and commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isnít Capcomís aim to court a casual crowd. This is as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.
DualSHOCKERS - 9.5/10

Quote:
Capcom has created an immersive living and breathing world, allowing players to fully enjoy the charm of the titular monsters within a credible ecosystem. Combined with solid improvements in story and gameplay, Monster Hunter: World is a must-have game for veteran fans and novices alike.
Destructoid - 9/10

Quote:
A hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage.
EGM - 9.0/10

Quote:
Monster Hunter: World has found a way to lower its barrier of entry for newcomers while still delivering an immersive experience that long-time fans of the series crave. The combat has a bit of a learning curve, and multiplayer could use a few tweaks, but no matter your experience level with the series, this will be time well spent for all hunters ready to pick up a sword, bowgun, or gunlance.
VideoGamer - 9/10

Quote:
This long standing series makes an outrageously good current gen debut. The size and scope of the environments, and the monsters in them, is awe inspiring, making Monster Hunter: World a true (lizard) king of games.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The game comes out tomorrow (January 26th) for Xbox One and PS4. It's coming to PC in the fall.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I hope the PC version makes it over silky smooth.

This looks like a must play!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Dark souls with dinosaurs lol.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Played the Pii-U monster hunter to death. Will wait and grab this on PC.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
actusoul
Evil Dead

Who has played this. The reviews are getting me excited but I trust Evil posters.... Is it that good?
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I will find out tomorrow, I think that's the time it's released on PSN.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I really likeed the beta on PS4. I was tempted to pick it up. Waiting for PC.
Suppose to be some free dlc by then if I remember correctly.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I'll be grabbing this on the PC when it comes out.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Who has played this. The reviews are getting me excited but I trust Evil posters.... Is it that good?
It's pretty niche, even if this release is giving the series more exposure than I can remember it having in a long time.

They're challenging games that are pretty grindy. There are some additional mechanics to the game like light farming, quests, crafting, etc but namely, it's a boss fighting game. You're going to fight tough bosses, where the battles last many minutes, and you will often die. Eventually you'll win as you learn the bosses weaknesses and patterns, and the boss will drop 1 of several possible pieces of loot that you can use to craft better gear. You'll fight it again, and some other bosses again and again, dying a lot, and finally barely surviving, and eventually you'll get the drops you need to craft better gear so you can move on to bigger/better challenges and areas. The game is fun solo, but the fun really happens with co-op.

I don't know about this specific Monster Hunter, but that's how Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate played out, and I think they're all like that.

I put hundreds of hours MH3U, but the game will NOT be for everyone. I think a lot of people, now that the series is in the spotlight and the game is getting glowing reviews, will pick this up and want really badly to like it, and they may not. It's grindy, it gets very hard, and it's a considerable time investment. But with reviewers saying things like "Monster Hunter: World has found a way to lower its barrier of entry for newcomers...." they may have made it more casual than the other entries. If nothing of what I said sounds that appealing, I'd try to find a way to play it before you buy it if possible.

Personally, I like the gameplay and will likely get it, but I'm waiting for the PC release. (likely lower price and DLC)

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
Xen
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I've been playing the series since Freedom on psp, probably ~1500 hours across 10ish years. World is the best MH has ever been, and I have no doubt it will be my 2018 goty. Honestly blown away by how good it is.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I've been playing the series since Freedom on psp, probably ~1500 hours across 10ish years. World is the best MH has ever been, and I have no doubt it will be my 2018 goty. Honestly blown away by how good it is.
Does this game feel like Horizon Zero Dawn? Surprisingly despite all the praise it got I just couldn't get into it. Does MH have a similar feel?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #13
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Does this game feel like Horizon Zero Dawn? Surprisingly despite all the praise it got I just couldn't get into it. Does MH have a similar feel?
I donít think so. And I played the hell out of Horizon.

MHW is a whole other beast. I spent about 45 mins in the character creator(so many options!) and after I got to town and the training area where I could test each weapon I spent another hour there just playing with one weapon type trying to learn it. My point? Itís super deep. The particular weapon was called the Charge Blade. Itís a sword and shield pair that turns into a giant axe as you combo. And thatís not even the kicker. It charges as you hit enemies in the sword and shield mode. Then you can switch to axe mode and release the charged energy for explosive attacks. Also if you charge the weapon to the max and you do not release the energy your attacks will bounce off targets and negate you damage. Haha. Yeah... A lot to manage! And thatís just one weapon type.

I never got into MH. Mostly because it wasnít on Xbox. But this seems really awesome. Also it looks and sounds fantastic. There are three different graphical options for the X1X which is cool. Right now I have it on high res and it has been running smooth. I was going to check out the high frame rate setting today. They also have a high graphical detail setting.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

Looking forward to picking this up on PC in the fall. I left the console market a few years ago and I don't plan on returning.
DarkestHour00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #15
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestHour00 View Post
Looking forward to picking this up on PC in the fall. I left the console market a few years ago and I don't plan on returning.
I mean its not like you can just NOT get a Switch. Its going to be required in a year or two just like the GBA and DS.

Don't be that guy that misses a great system because your too busy dog whistling muh pc master race or whatever.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #16
Azzy
Cthulian

this thread proves pc gaming is dead
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I mean its not like you can just NOT get a Switch. Its going to be required in a year or two just like the GBA and DS.

Don't be that guy that misses a great system because your too busy dog whistling muh pc master race or whatever.
I think it's pretty much a must buy already - doubly so for those who never owned a Pii-U. Between Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 already, and then we know the system is getting Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Project Octopath Traveler, and Bayonetta 3 (and I bet anything they're about to announce a new mainline Animal Crossing). And we're not even a year in.

That said, PC is the best. Too many good games, and it's always cheaper to buy games on PC. Between g2a, greenmangaming, humble bundle, steam sales, and fanatical, I never pay more than 1/5th retail for a game. All the mods, all the graphics, all the keyboards and mice. It's the best. Divinity Original Sin 2. All the mods. And more. PC is the best video game platform by a landslide right now, IMO. The Switch is a great supplement to it, though.

Feckin' plebs and their consoles, and their lawl conversations about console "power".

Going to be playing some "For the King" and "Staxel" this weekend on Steam. Both look excellent.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I donít think so. And I played the hell out of Horizon.

MHW is a whole other beast. I spent about 45 mins in the character creator(so many options!) and after I got to town and the training area where I could test each weapon I spent another hour there just playing with one weapon type trying to learn it. My point? Itís super deep. The particular weapon was called the Charge Blade. Itís a sword and shield pair that turns into a giant axe as you combo. And thatís not even the kicker. It charges as you hit enemies in the sword and shield mode. Then you can switch to axe mode and release the charged energy for explosive attacks. Also if you charge the weapon to the max and you do not release the energy your attacks will bounce off targets and negate you damage. Haha. Yeah... A lot to manage! And thatís just one weapon type.

I never got into MH. Mostly because it wasnít on Xbox. But this seems really awesome. Also it looks and sounds fantastic. There are three different graphical options for the X1X which is cool. Right now I have it on high res and it has been running smooth. I was going to check out the high frame rate setting today. They also have a high graphical detail setting.
Thanks for the reply Mike, appreciate it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, monster hunter: world