1 Replies, 277 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Colin Trevorrow Out as 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Director

The Hollywood Reporter has the story.

Quote:
Colin Trevorrow is no longer directing Star Wars: Episode IX, Lucasfilm said Tuesday.

"Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon," read a Lucasfilm statement.

Rumors of Trevorrow’s departure have dogged the project since early June, weeks before the opening of The Book of Henry, his thriller that was panned by critics and failed at the box office.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that script issues have continued to be an issue during Episode IX’s development, with Trevorrow having had repeated stabs at multiple drafts. In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script.

Sources say that the working relationship between Trevorrow and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy became unmanageable. Kennedy, who had already been through one director firing/replacement on the Han Solo spinoff movie, was not eager for a sequel and tried to avoid this decision.

In June, Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the Han Solo standalone with only a couple of weeks left of scheduled production. The two were later replaced by Ron Howard, who is finishing out production of the project in London now.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Good. He should have never been considered as the director in the first place.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They're not doing a good job of initial hiring for project leads related to Star Wars. Perhaps the problem isn't just whom they are hiring, but also the person making those faulty decisions.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
They're not doing a good job of initial hiring for project leads related to Star Wars. Perhaps the problem isn't just whom they are hiring, but also the person making those faulty decisions.
Maybe this Kathleen Kennedy is a bit c h, hey?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Would surprise me. She may also just suck at her job.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Yeah, so far all of the new SW films have been pretty mediocre to bad IMO. I thought Disney taking over this franchise would be another MCU, but it is very clear that it has been all Kevin Feige.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Would surprise me. She may also just suck at her job.
I meant "wouldn't" surprise me, lol. No, I'm not paying for editing privileges.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I don't think she sucks at her job, in fact I think it is the exact opposite. Disney corporate culture wants bland, innofensive, family friendly movies that come in on-time and on-budget and make close to a Billion each on an investment of about $300 million.

She has done a great job of making the Star Wars films and the Marvel films fit into this mold.

The problem is that fitting a creative industry into a mold... just leaves you with the mold. The Marvel movies are in decline and the Star Wars movies haven't been great. On a re-watch I personally fond both Force Awakens and Rogue One to actually be TERRIBLE films.

Those pictures of the new "evil" BB-8 and whatever that ugly anime bird thing hanging out with Chewabacca is do not fill me with much enthusiasm for the new movie. The movie seems designed to sell toys and not much else.

We know that Rogue One was going to be a pretty serious war film and instead it was just more mediocre space action and we know that the Han Solo movie was going to be more of a comedy than the other films and no doubt that isn't true any more either.

She has done a great job of leeching the potential for these films to show us something new and different. And I suspect that is exactly what the governing board wants her to do.

Watch that change after they have their first couple of Marvel flops. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was pretty average, Black Panther looks REALLY average and Thor looks "good/not great". They aren't far from one of these films being an actual box office bomb. It will probably be Captain Marvel that bombs (Brie Larson? WTF.) and if not that one it might be Ant Man and Wasp.

Then they will blame "super hero audience burnout" instead of realizing that they made a bunch of average films and people just got bored.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 AM   #9
Angelus073
Lord

If you are judging Last Jedi on the porgs and BB9 that seems a bit weird to me. Also the constant digging that these films are bland and inoffensive seem off the mark to me as well, people seem to have a very rose coloured view of the original films, EpIV was U in the UK, the lowest certificate a film can receive, it wasn't edgy or subversive it was great family entertainment.

The new Star Wars stuff is of this new era but follows the same format as they always have and they will always stick to that format, I watched it as a kid and I am not looking for a darker format with an edge to it or for it to become more adult as that is not what Star Wars is.

In terms of director changes I think they are right to pull the trigger but also agree that some of the initial choices were doomed to failure. Lord and Miller were not a good choice and neither was Trevorrow, especially when you consider that IX is closing out this arc.

At the moment I would look at the Marvel model and see it Rian Johnson will step in and complete the story. Its work with the Russo's and James Gunn and I think it will add a level of continuity that may be missing.
Angelus073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Varek
Squire

No offense to the star wars super fanboys but my issue with the new movies has been thats its the same story over and over again... i dont need to watch Star wars a new hope lite again. Is it impossible to write a new story in the star wars universe? Timothy Zahn's thrawn trilogy was fantastic and didnt require killing the "new" death star 3 more times...
Varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The problem is that fitting a creative industry into a mold... just leaves you with the mold.
I think that is as succinct a criticism as I've seen. Well said.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus073 View Post
If you are judging Last Jedi on the porgs and BB9 that seems a bit weird to me. Also the constant digging that these films are bland and inoffensive seem off the mark to me as well, people seem to have a very rose coloured view of the original films, EpIV was U in the UK, the lowest certificate a film can receive, it wasn't edgy or subversive it was great family entertainment.
Except if you ask anyone what their favorite Star Wars film was, you will likely hear Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. It is definitely the more serious/adult of the original trilogy and many people had hoped it would be used as the template for the new trilogy.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Kawika
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Except if you ask anyone what their favorite Star Wars film was, you will likely hear Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. It is definitely the more serious/adult of the original trilogy and many people had hoped it would be used as the template for the new trilogy.
This will always been the template for anyone old enough to experience it in the theater. When I got the big reveal as a kid I was blown away. This was earth shattering stuff for a 4-5 year old mind to absorb. I rewatched all the films recently (machete cut) and I have to say, its so so so hard to watch episodes 1-3 after watching Empire.

I am not as down on the new films as much as some because I worked for Disney for years and I know how they think and how they work. I was and still am excited for them to be in charge of the Star Wars IP. But even as predictable as episode 7 was, it was still better than the new trilogy.

Whoever said we need a few box office flops is spot on. The current marvel arc needs to hurry up before no one gives a shit anymore. Mostly everything I have seen in the past 3 years has been pretty average. Not saying I didn't like a few films. The first Guardians and Winter Soldier were pretty good and I even enjoyed Civil War.

My kids watch Star Wars and as long as they enjoy it, I will too.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I wonder if it has anything to do with the ownership these folks are allowed to have over their creations.

Marvel started with passion and it's allowed people to create. Star Wars has a much more guided hand, when someone has tried to do anything outside of Empire or pieces of precursor of the Empire/Bad Guys with the Force vs. Rebels/Alliance/Republic/Good Guys with the Force the fans have actively slapped them for it. At least it was when I was still actively reading all the comics and books and so on 7 or 8 years ago.

I remember the right cross suffered by books like "Truce at Bakura" and then later on when the Lizard race (Vong?) invaded.

The fans have shown all roads have to somehow lead back to the Skywalker / Solo lines, those that closely orbit those families, or those which significantly intersect with them. Without that drama Star Wars is hollow according to fan tastes. Even Star Trek found a way to be more than Kirk, Spock, McCoy and The Enterprise with a fair amount of success.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
My kids watch Star Wars and as long as they enjoy it, I will too.
Same here! They love it, and when they love something I generally do as well, even if I really hate it. It's amazing how much fun stuff is when it's fun for your kids.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Star Wars has a much more guided hand
I think Disney needs to really cut loose on one of the off-year, non-sequential stories to really reinvigorate the entire IP. Let someone push the boundaries and escape the black hole of creative limitations and fencing they currently have on the SW universe.

#MakeItSo! - lol, wrong universe.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
I think Disney needs to really cut loose on one of the off-year, non-sequential stories to really reinvigorate the entire IP. Let someone push the boundaries and escape the black hole of creative limitations and fencing they currently have on the SW universe.

#MakeItSo! - lol, wrong universe.
#MakeItSolo and it fits...

They need a way to invent Star Wars in a sustainable fashion. Maybe Rey and Finn and Poe are those character who inherit the Galaxy far, far, away. Or not. Right now it sure doesn't feel like they have that strength to do so without the crutch of the Skywalker/Solo baggage nor will they gain it over a mere two more movies.

Hopefully some of the one-off stories become interesting and disentangled. I think it would be really interesting to see a movie in the vein of the now cancelled game 1313 and dip into R rated territory. I am not sure Disney is ready to go there despite the results shown by Marvel properties which are properly tailored for the rating.

I personally don't envy them here nor do I envy Kennedy. She's probably got a tough mandate to make sure the Star Wars movies are at least, if not more successful than Marvel in a shorter amount of time. Cake considering their box office pedigree, the hard-nosed audience, and the fact they have to serve three and maybe soon a fourth, generation of fans, amirite?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Hopefully some of the one-off stories become interesting and disentangled. I think it would be really interesting to see a movie in the vein of the now cancelled game 1313 and dip into R rated territory.
This is pretty much what people were hoping Rogue One was going to be, and it was pretty sanitized in the end.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
This is pretty much what people were hoping Rogue One was going to be, and it was pretty sanitized in the end.
I don't think you can call Rogue One a "one-off" considering how heavily they relied on the crutch of the original trilogy and bloodline drama to make the events meaningful.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
LostToys
Evil Dead

It had the potential of being anything because the only thing that is necessary to fit it into cannon is getting the Death Star plans to the Rebels. Anything else that is done does not affect the other films. Many were expecting a much more hardcore film for this reason as it showed "down in the trenches" fighting between the Empire and the Rebels and there was an expectation that there would be catastrophic loses based on the Episode IV Death Star briefing.

Tags
star wars