Blumhouse's The Hunt...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Yesterday 01:47 AM
8 Replies, 718 Views

Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - And the Winner of E3 is...

Bethesda's Ikumi Nakamura bested even celebrities like Keanu Reeves and Jon Bernthal (and Bam Bam) to become the best part of this E3 and everyone's instant internet crush.

Quote:
The grey clouds seemed ready to unleash a wet and warm shower of disappointment on E3 2019. And then the Bethesda press conference happened. Ikumi Nakamura took to the stage, and like a beam of light from the sun, she cut through the miasma to energize and uplift us all. Nakamura arrived on stage to announce Ghostwire Tokyo, a new game developed by Tango Gameworks, the studio behind The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2.

Nakamura casually strolled onto the stage with an enthusiastic, "Yayyyyyyy." Followed immediately by, "Wow, wow, wow, so many people." Obviously, Nakamura was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of eyes that were on her, but at the same time, she stayed cool, calm, and collected.

Nakamura's minor case of stage fright belies her experience in game design and development. Though she may not be a familiar name or face to the greater video game fanbase as a whole, she has been involved in the creation of some of the most beloved games of all time, including Okami and Bayonetta, and of course The Evil Within.
Gamespot.

Bethesda was my favorite show this year. The developers, like Nakamura, all seemed genuine and enthusiastic.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Found the beth show unwatchable like all the rest, including her. What am I overlooking here? Yet another cinematic with zero gameplay, and she's nervous on stage and barely can speak english. This is pretty typical of E3.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I think that Nintendo won hands down. Bethesda was all "talk talk talk" MOBILE GAME! DRAGONS! EMPTY PROMISES! "talk talk talk".

Nintendo was: GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY! Should we stop? NO, HERE IS MORE GAMEPLAY!

Whether people like the games or not, they have to admit: Showing gameplay trumps long diatribes about how much effort was put into a game.

And of course the big loser was.... *drum roll* EA. Big surprise there.

Last edited by PacerDawn; 06-12-2019 at 07:47 PM..
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Nintendo easily won.

Seiken Densetsu 3 outside of Japan for the first time? Only took 25 years but I never thought it would happen, let alone a re-make of it.

Took me completely by surprise.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Hopefully the masses don't Jade Raymond her.

I imagine with her portfolio she is upbeat because she's been doing this long enough, working on quality titles, and maintaining a strong support network to keep her away from the unsavory parts of the industry. Easy on the eyes as well. That's not to undermine whatever work ethic or other qualities she has that brought her to this point, but it doesn't hurt.

If she had an experience like Wyatt Cheng at BlizzCon, there's a good chance she would have been similarly affected / crushed.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Half of Bethesda's conference was apologizing for fallout 76. The rest was mobile games and fake fans screaming after every sentence was spoken. But Doom and that Ghostwire game and that girl presenting it was the bright spot.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
...and barely can speak english.
Normally I'd let people be entitled to their opinion, but as an American who ended up marrying a Japanese lady after being stationed in Japan, and speaks Japanese as the house language with the kids and all... AND is now professionally learning Korean for their job I gotta say just one thing:

If you come from an Asian country, learning English is insanely hard. Vice-versa, learning and east Asian language as a native English speaker is a mind-rending experience.

In my professional opinion, she does pretty well. Also, your grammar is bad.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Throwing my hat in with Nintendo.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:54 AM   #9
Scherge
Evil Dead

We're all jaded, but I'd argue that's not completely our fault. There are simply no revolutions in game design and - maybe even more importantly - visuals anymore. I still remember droves of gaming professionals sitting on the floor in front of the Konami booth, waiting for the "Metal Gear Solid 2" trailer that everyone was talking about. Or seeing the first HD games in motion when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were announced. Nowadays, we're content to know that part 6 of a popular franchise is in the works (and will look exactly like the previous two iterations), or that an old game is remade.

Also, I don't believe that a single person - no matter how cute and/or funny he/she may be, can save an otherwise dull press conference. The GameSpot link above doesn't seem to work, by the way.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:54 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Well said Scherge. I agree. Some indie games still bring me back to those old days and surprise me but the major studios don't really do it anymore. It's like the movie industry. I still enjoy some of the movies that come out, but if it's from a major studio, it's probably a very "safe" and formulaic movie. Again, that doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not really new either. Games and movies are probably just too expensive to take chances on these days.

Plus we're all getting older.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Xbox's conference was basically all videos of games. It was quite focused as well.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
Normally I'd let people be entitled to their opinion, but as an American who ended up marrying a Japanese lady after being stationed in Japan, and speaks Japanese as the house language with the kids and all... AND is now professionally learning Korean for their job I gotta say just one thing:

If you come from an Asian country, learning English is insanely hard. Vice-versa, learning and east Asian language as a native English speaker is a mind-rending experience.

In my professional opinion, she does pretty well. Also, your grammar is bad.
I knew a snowflake would get triggered. I wasn't insulting her. I was just saying this is very typical of E3 presenters.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo's Press Video was great because it was all games, but there was hardly anything in there I would play or buy. I guess if the Switch was my only console I would have found lots of stuff to buy, but since it isn't my only system I will give most of that stuff a hard pass.

About the only thing in there that I can't live without is Animal Crossing. Not sure why that game is so addictive even as an adult, but it is. I have played for hours and hours. I like the fishing the best, it's like very relaxing. Heh.

I thought Microsoft did a great job, it was just a little glitzy and shallow and the presenters all seemed very phony. I'm totally interested in the new Gears of War, I'll be buying it and playing it for sure on the PC. Though I think I need another SSD because that game takes up like 150 GB and my games SSD is 150 GB.

I'm still saying that I got the most out of the Bethesda conference and the PC Gaming Show. Ubisoft's was the most painful to watch because all the games looked the exact same. I couldn't tell where one game ended and the next one started.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Bethesda was awful. Most of the show was about mobile games and idiots paid to scream at lame announcements like more ESO DLC. I'm not the only who feels this way.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Half of Bethesda's conference was apologizing for fallout 76. The rest was mobile games and fake fans screaming after every sentence was spoken. But Doom and that Ghostwire game and that girl presenting it was the bright spot.
Thank you. You forgot the half that was all about mobile games.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

And she wasn't my E3 crush. My E3 crush was the pink haired fat girl from Ubisoft.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
We're all jaded, but I'd argue that's not completely our fault. There are simply no revolutions in game design and - maybe even more importantly - visuals anymore. I still remember droves of gaming professionals sitting on the floor in front of the Konami booth, waiting for the "Metal Gear Solid 2" trailer that everyone was talking about. Or seeing the first HD games in motion when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were announced. Nowadays, we're content to know that part 6 of a popular franchise is in the works (and will look exactly like the previous two iterations), or that an old game is remade.

Also, I don't believe that a single person - no matter how cute and/or funny he/she may be, can save an otherwise dull press conference. The GameSpot link above doesn't seem to work, by the way.
We're pretty much at or near photo realism for visuals in games, though you wouldn't know it because 80% of the industry is stuck on this cel shading kiddy cartoon look for half of their ugly ass titles. There really isn't too much further you can go with visuals really. E3 was awful this year as it's pretty much been the last few.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Gamespot link broken. Here is link to full Bethesda Conference cause Gamespot is gay anyway.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Gamespot link broken. Here is link to full Bethesda Conference cause Gamespot is gay anyway.

I'm back. This was the only conference I watched in full and it was boring as fuck. If that is the conference that won E3 I fucking despair of either the sanity of people saying such things or the state of the industry.
  • Pre-rendered video for 90% of everything
  • A Bethesda team: "Did I hear anyone say DLC? WE GOT THAT! YOU GET DLC, YOU GET DLC, YOU GET DLC!"
  • "Year X games as a service expansion keeps us burning the midnight oil for all our major franchises!"
  • Please audience, who are bought and paid for with the swag we generously gave you at the door, please stop jizzing all over our mobile games!
  • Hi Hearthstone, don't mind us while we rip off your idea for the whole tavern thing with our own commercial
  • Hi my name is Mark, I mean Matt, I mean MarkMatt! Please stop yelling and praising me while I'm trying to talk about ESO DLC I have this speech memorized at a specific pace and you are fucking it up and I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT STAPPPP!!!
  • Thanos Snap 2, the Japanese boogie-loo. Bonus points: Add attractive Asian chick and see how fast western gamers lose their mind!
  • Ellen DeGeneres and Ellen Page star in Wolfenstein: Woke Edition
  • Hey guy with a cane who may have had a stroke, don't even say the letters A-P-I or Plugin or anything like that, it will cause their brains to explode!
  • "Hey did we mention not only did we create DLC on the console but we created mods on the console" (then the video shows horse armor for purchase). I wonder if that a purposeful dig at every gamer in history since horse armor or a missed edit.

The only thing that shined at all was Doom Eternal.

Jesus. I'd take almost any 30 frames of Cyberpunk than any of the above nonsense.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Ellen DeGeneres and Ellen Page star in Wolfenstein: Woke Edition.
I admit, I lol'ed at this.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e3 2019, pure evil