Brad Pitt is tasked with...
Last post by Booda
Yesterday 01:24 PM
8 Replies, 590 Views

Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

One Quarter One Play

It's Sunday, and Father's day to boot, so it's time to fire up the MAME box, and see how far I can go on one credit with no practice rounds. This week I explore the Sega classic Golden Axe.

Click the headline to read more, and watch the video.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

This week’s game is Sega’s Golden Axe.

Golden Axe was developed by Makoto Uchida, the same guy who developed Altered Beast. (I think Golden Axe is a better game). The game was released to the arcades in 1989.

In the game you play as one of three heroes. Gilius Thunderhead is a dwarf whose twin brother was killed but Death Adder soldiers. Ax Battler, the barbarian seeks revenge for the murder of his mother by Death Adder. And finally Tyris Flare the Amazon. Her parents were killed by Death Adder too.

The graphics blew me away when I first saw this game. I don’t know why, but I always play as the dwarf. While this is not one of my all time favorite arcade games; if I see one of these machines, I will put a quarter in it.

This is a quarter sucking game, and I was surprised I made it as far as I did on one quarter. It has been awhile sense I’ve played the arcade version, and I quickly fired up MAME again after the initial video capture, to play more, and finish the game.

I’ve never really played any of the sequels; have you, and if so are they worth playing?

Golden Axe was built around the Saga System16 board.

The main CPU is a FD1094 clocking in at 10 MHz. I didn’t know what kind of chip that was, but found this information.

Via Sega Resurrection
Quote:
Sega in their wisdom decided to use a protection device called a "FD1094" on many of their arcade boards. These were mainly used on games that used Outrun, System16/18/24 and X Board style pcbs. The FD1094/FD1089 replaces the standard 10mhz 68000 and contains a 68000 core, lithium battery and encryption ram which is used to hold the key which is used to decrypt the game code. The main reason for this was to protect Sega against unlawful production of bootleg boards, and also to stop arcade operators taking the cheap option of burning a new set of roms to allow their pcbs to run the latest Sega game.
The second CPU on the board is a Z80 with a clock speed of 5 MHz. I didn’t research the use of the Z80, but I’ve seen it used to control the sound chip in the past, and I assume it’s doing the same here.

Sound was delivered via a YM2151, and a uPD7759.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

This reminds me that I really want to build a MAME cabinet to put in my house. Need to save up some money since that isn't too cheap.
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Ah very cool. One of my favorites of all time. I loved the sort of dark fantasy vibe they had going and I too, pretty much only played as the dwarf. As for the sequels, I never really got into the Mega Drive/Genesis ones but I really enjoyed the arcade sequel. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. It was a System 32 game so it definitely felt like a pretty big upgrade in sound and visuals.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

That's not a shabby 1 quarter play right there. Awesome. I have to say I really got into these brawlers when they hit the scene because they had health bars and 'moves' you could perform but you are absolutely right they are quarter suckers from start to finish.

How many credits did it take for your play through?

Bonus points awarded for providing historical details, that's really cool in my opinion as a fledgling retro-nerd.

Keep 'em coming!
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Ah very cool. One of my favorites of all time. I loved the sort of dark fantasy vibe they had going and I too, pretty much only played as the dwarf. As for the sequels, I never really got into the Mega Drive/Genesis ones but I really enjoyed the arcade sequel. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. It was a System 32 game so it definitely felt like a pretty big upgrade in sound and visuals.
I haven't played The Revenge of Death Adder, but It's on my radar now!
Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuFan View Post
That's not a shabby 1 quarter play right there. Awesome. I have to say I really got into these brawlers when they hit the scene because they had health bars and 'moves' you could perform but you are absolutely right they are quarter suckers from start to finish.

How many credits did it take for your play through?

Bonus points awarded for providing historical details, that's really cool in my opinion as a fledgling retro-nerd.

Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

It took me 8 credits to complete the game. Not bad. I had to drop in like 30 credits to beat The Simpsons

One Quarter, one play was going to be something bigger and better than what it is. It's an idea I've been kicking around for over a year. It was going to be a bunch of mini documentaries about games. Each mini Doc would end with me playing that weeks game on one quarter with no practice rounds. The problem I have is time... or the lack of it.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDangerous View Post
This reminds me that I really want to build a MAME cabinet to put in my house. Need to save up some money since that isn't too cheap.
I hear ya! Even cheap builds aren't cheap.

Tags
arcade, mame, one quater one play, retro