Last post by vallor
Today 06:28 AM
149 Replies, 19,608 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #21
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Quote:
This is a cop out and the thin line that keeps the masses from outright rebellion and (I suspect) protections from Government regulation.

The amount of time->pack exchange is usually pretty significant and for a game where the power delta for the haves and have nots, such as it appears is the case in Battlefront 2, I'm not sure this is a good path to go.
This is kind of a "remains to be seen" factor for Battlefront 2. If the rate of earning packs is punitively long relative to purchases, then yeah, you could make a case for them forcing people to buy packs. That was a common concern before the release of Battlefield 3 and 4 with the announcement of the shortcut kits. Everybody figured they'd force you to grind the class forever or buy the shortcuts. When the game released it turned out to be easy enough to service star a class (unlocking everything a particular shortcut unlocked) inside of a few hours--just as one would expect if the purchase option didn't exist. Think the only shortcut kit I got any use out of was for pistols (as they're largely useless/pointless in Battlefield), and they gave that one out for free.

The rate of unlocks in the Battlefront 2 beta wasn't that terrible--in three or four nights of play, I managed to unlock half-ish to most of what was available at least at bronze. Don't think I had three card slots opened on any but one or two classes, but I had two on everything I could. I'm not saying it was ideal; for example, scrap prolly should've been easier to come by, and the beta didn't have the same focused crate availability the full game will have. A lot of people speculating wildly that all the drop rates are gonna get crushed, and that the rate of earning will be slowed to a grind. Could be the case, no telling yet. Aside from that, the biggest factors are gonna be total number of available items to unlock (which is reduced by having focused crates for each class) and availability of alternate means of unlocking (like challenges and crafting).

Unlocking everything will prolly take half of forever. Customizations on 16 heroes alone should be staggering, and that's before counting in 4 classes, two 'ground' vehicle types, 3 starfighters, and however many hero ships they add. Unlockables added over the game's lifetime will increase that pool too. Unlocking a specific handful of go-to cards and gear shouldn't be too bad though, if the beta was any indication.

In terms of star cards relative power, most upgrades offered diminished returns over the previous tier. Bronze cards all more or less had the majority of the advantage that a plat card would provide. You get more edge, but with the variety of cards/situations, it shouldn't be anything decisive. That's another "remains to be seen" factor, but didn't see any indication that players with common cards would be at a serious disadvantage against players with very rare cards. Bronze cards had a low crafting cost too.

Bigger factor was more the number of card slots, which are unlocked relative to the combined level of cards you held in a class (max 3). I'm definitely not very keen on that, but the number was pretty low. Have to hope that doesn't change for the worse on release.

It could still go either way. They could totally screw us, or it could be something people are blowing way out of proportion. I'm in no way a fan of gamble-to-progress setups--like I said, vile stuff--but nothing in the beta suggested to me that I'll be punished for not buying packs. Hoping I don't get stabbed in the back in a month.

Gamble and 'gacha' systems in the wider sense? Yeah, there's some pretty nasty stuff out there. Some places around the world getting government regulation on those practices, wouldn't mind a little of that over here. A fairly large share of the android "gaming" market is just poison.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #22
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu View Post
This is exceptionally dangerous thinking in regards to gaming as a money making experience, and I'm surprised no one else has commented on it yet. The only people who win out when this idea becomes the status quo is the corporations who get your money when you gamble it away. There is far less consumer value in this than even the original horse armor DLC that sparked such a fevered debate all those years ago about paying for cosmetic changes in games.
How so? I find this system much more preferable to the player base splitting season pass/DLC approach (In which I see nobody winning). Whales will fund further development while those who do not wish to pay to gamble don't have to. Everyone gets access to content at a price point they set for themselves.

How is this not more player friendly? If you want to go back to paying for a season pass, or map packs, only to then have nobody playing those expansions due to only a fraction of the base having them, be my guest. I see no value in that situation.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The people complaining are still gonna buy the fucking shit anyway.

Apparently it takes 3,600 hours to unlock everything through grind. And since it isn't skill based this is the same for everyone. Happy gaming!
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #24
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The people complaining are still gonna buy the fucking shit anyway.

Apparently it takes 3,600 hours to unlock everything through grind. And since it isn't skill based this is the same for everyone. Happy gaming!
I'll probably buy it. I need a new game since Destiny 2 was kind of a wash.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #25
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
How so? I find this system much more preferable to the player base splitting season pass/DLC approach (In which I see nobody winning). Whales will fund further development while those who do not wish to pay to gamble don't have to. Everyone gets access to content at a price point they set for themselves.

How is this not more player friendly? If you want to go back to paying for a season pass, or map packs, only to then have nobody playing those expansions due to only a fraction of the base having them, be my guest. I see no value in that situation.
The idea of a fragmented player base is preventing map packs from coming back, not the fact that they made no money. If it were permissible by the player base, you'd better believe they'd bring that back on top of the gambling metagame in a heartbeat.

The reason it's far less player friendly is pay-to-win is a dangerous and player-hostile system in and of itself, and now this introduces a new RNG element to the pay-to-win formula. The fact that various players can set their price limit as high as they want is irrelevant. The only people who stand to gain anything from this shift in monetization mantra are the developers. There is no player, free or payee, who benefits from this since the randomized element now even detracts from those free players who only want to grind boxes to get materials to make whatever specific item/boost they want, since there's the real option they'll receive a reward that can't be used to that end.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I'll probably buy it. I need a new game since Destiny 2 was kind of a wash.
Again not really sure what you were expecting with destiny 2. It's more of the same. Cept there's stuff to do with bounties and lost sectors etc.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Again not really sure what you were expecting with destiny 2. It's more of the same. Cept there's stuff to do with bounties and lost sectors etc.
Ill be playing this soon. Is it like the first one. Great, but over in 10 hours?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu View Post
The idea of a fragmented player base is preventing map packs from coming back, not the fact that they made no money. If it were permissible by the player base, you'd better believe they'd bring that back on top of the gambling metagame in a heartbeat.

The reason it's far less player friendly is pay-to-win is a dangerous and player-hostile system in and of itself, and now this introduces a new RNG element to the pay-to-win formula. The fact that various players can set their price limit as high as they want is irrelevant. The only people who stand to gain anything from this shift in monetization mantra are the developers. There is no player, free or payee, who benefits from this since the randomized element now even detracts from those free players who only want to grind boxes to get materials to make whatever specific item/boost they want, since there's the real option they'll receive a reward that can't be used to that end.
That's just my point. Map packs/season passes/content DLC are inherently unfriendly to a multiplayer user base, far more so than loot boxes (even game mechanic altering ones).

You have to define pay to win a bit more there. In this specific game can a user pay to gamble more? Sure they can, but that offers in and of itself no inherent advantages over another player. Someone could drop as much money as they want, and still end up with nothing they deem useful.

You say players do not benefit, I'd argue they do, financially. In this system they no longer have to shell out more money for content.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

Did you buy the game? Were you expecting to lose when you bought it?

You paid to win.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #30
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Did you buy the game? Were you expecting to lose when you bought it?

You paid to win.
lulz

Pay to get the opportunity to pay to win. Meta.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
lulz

Pay to get the opportunity to pay to win. Meta.
Let me guess. Battlefront 2 is a cell phone game that only cucks play.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #32
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
More of the same is good, less of the same is not. Destiny 2 is a small game with barely as much content as the initial release of Destiny 1. Only now you can do fetch quests over and over and hope to get a good loot drop instead of just killing monsters and hoping for a good loot drop. Is that an improvement? It doesnít feel like one.

Itís a sequel, I expect a sequel to be bigger and have better game mechanics. Instead the amount of game world is smaller, the loot system doesnít work as good and they nerfect the living head out of multiplayer matches by limiting the number of players.

In almost every definable way, it is a worse game than Destiny 1. And to add insult to that injury, there arenít even any new enemies.

Itís a glorified expansion pack and nothing more. I did want MORE of the same, not less of the same.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #33
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I guess that is where I have an advantage with Battlefront 1. I didn’t play it because it didn’t have a single player campaign so I will not end up feeling like it is a worse game even if it is. And as I said above I’m going to need something new to play here soon.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #34
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Let me guess. Battlefront 2 is a cell phone game that only cucks play.
Its like your saying what i'm thinking. How do you do it?

I do want to play that single player campaign but ill pick it up used for $5 in a year or so. Ill let someone else eat that depreciation.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
More of the same is good, less of the same is not. Destiny 2 is a small game with barely as much content as the initial release of Destiny 1. Only now you can do fetch quests over and over and hope to get a good loot drop instead of just killing monsters and hoping for a good loot drop. Is that an improvement? It doesnít feel like one.

Itís a sequel, I expect a sequel to be bigger and have better game mechanics. Instead the amount of game world is smaller, the loot system doesnít work as good and they nerfect the living head out of multiplayer matches by limiting the number of players.

In almost every definable way, it is a worse game than Destiny 1. And to add insult to that injury, there arenít even any new enemies.

Itís a glorified expansion pack and nothing more. I did want MORE of the same, not less of the same.
To say destiny 2 has less content is insanity. Be mad that pvp changed to 4v4 but overall the game has more content than Destiny 1 did at launch.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #36
blackzc
Evil Dead

So far it seems like there is more. Im like 3 hours in.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Its like your saying what i'm thinking. How do you do it?

I do want to play that single player campaign but ill pick it up used for $5 in a year or so. Ill let someone else eat that depreciation.
That's my plan with BF2 as well, I don't give a shit about multiplayer in these types of games, get it cheap down the road for the sp, then forget about it.

Tags
dice, ea games, pay to win, star wars battlefront 2