Last post by Exodus
10-16-2018 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,534 Views

Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
Juan
Evil Dead

Introducing the PlayStation Classic, with 20 pre-installed games

Quote:
Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by then Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics for the first time in their own homes.

Today, we are so excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturised version PlayStation Classic! The console will come preloaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favourites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, R4 Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms.
PlayStation Blog.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

This is one of those gadgets that I'm almost certainly going to buy and definitely never going to use. Still, it's fun to muse about what other games Sony could possibly include (unless they just take the 20 best-selling emulated PS-One games on the PlayStation store). I'll go first:

- Ace Combat 2
- Destruction Derby Raw
- Wip3out
- Metal Gear Solid
- Gran Turismo 2
- Pandemonium 2
- Silent Hilll
- Colony Wars: Red Sun
- Spyro the Dragon
- Crash Bandicoot 3
- Crash Team Racing
- Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
- Warhawk
- Syphon Filter
- Rapid Racer
- Motor Toon Grand Prix 2 (as the 21st title)

Edit: I just noticed that the controllers don't have analog sticks, so some of the games above wouldn't play properly. Luckily, I didn't include "Ape Escape" in the first place...

Edit 2: I hope there's a way to connect my NeGcon for "Ridge Racer Type 4"!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Silent Hill! That might make it a "must have" to be able to play it with the HD hook ups.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Fubl
Evil Dead

I have yet to see anyone post battle arena toshenden, bloody roar, kings field, top down GTA, and cool boarders .... I see alotm of posts for the 2nd half of the consoles life span when they switched from the long boxes to the cd cases.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Well, it looks like any game requiring a DualShock controller would be right out the window.
Also, if this has Intelligent Qube on it, I'll probably buy the shit out of it.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

They could sell this thing with only Twisted Metal 2 installed and I might consider it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Can't say I have any interest in this thing at all.

In my opinion, unlike the NES and SNES games which have a timeless look for the most part, PS games look extremely dated/bad and that proves to be more distraction than fun for me.

But yes I will second the Bloody Roar comment. Was just talking to a friend about that the other day and hoping for some kind of resurrection of that series, especially in light of a new SC and Samurai Showdown coming out.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Fubl
Evil Dead

I also hope they try and stay away from games that have Decent Remasters Ie: Spyro, Crash and Resident Evil. There are to many games out there for them to keep rehashing the same stuff. I under stand that licensing will prevent stuff like Gran Tourismo and other licensed charachter games
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
alienchild
Subscriber

If I where to venture a guess, I think they'll make you able to purchase titles from the Playstation Store. If so then I hope they add a buttload of more PS Classic titles.
alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Can't say I have any interest in this thing at all.

In my opinion, unlike the NES and SNES games which have a timeless look for the most part, PS games look extremely dated/bad and that proves to be more distraction than fun for me.

But yes I will second the Bloody Roar comment. Was just talking to a friend about that the other day and hoping for some kind of resurrection of that series, especially in light of a new SC and Samurai Showdown coming out.
I'd love a Bloody Roar resurrection. My main was Gado, but I was solid with Shenlong.

Feel the same way about the PS Classic, though. I can't play N64/PS games very easily anymore. They just look like a mess. And most of the 3D games that were worth playing back then, already have newer games in the same series or in the same vein that do it better.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 09-19-2018 at 07:06 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
DoDe
Knight

Ohhh.. beloved Abe
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Pre-ordered mine via Best Buy. I don't even play my NES or SNES Classic's, but they're cool as hell on my shelf.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

No, FF Tactics ,Twisted Metal 2,Orge Battle,Armored Core MoA,Front Mission 3 ,others pass. If it had any 2 of those titles I might get it.

The games that are on it are not terrible. Just nothing I really would play much again except maybe Wild arms and Conoly wars

Last edited by EL CABONG; 09-19-2018 at 06:20 PM..
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Can you expand beyond the 20 games or not? And if so, how? Failboat on Sony for not explaining that well.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #15
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Silent Hill! That might make it a "must have" to be able to play it with the HD hook ups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
Ohhh.. beloved Abe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
The games that are on it are not terrible. Just nothing I really would play much again except maybe Wild arms and Conoly wars
Just to be clear: There is no list of included games yet, other than the 5 named in the official announcement. I was just speculating on what Sony might include - because it's fun!

I forgot "Twisted Metal"! I think that even without analog sticks, that's a given (probably "Twisted Metal 2"). I also forgot "PaRappa the Rapper", silly me! I had "Bloody Roar 2" and "Battle Arena Toshinden" on my list, but I fear the rights to those might be too muddy for Sony to care. I expect a lot of games from Konami, Capcom and Square/Taito for this exact reason. The whole thing has a distinct Japanese vibe to it, so I'm not holding my breath for many Take 2, Ubisoft, Activision and EA titles ("GTA"? "Rayman"? "Tony Hawk's Skateboarding"? "Need for Speed"?)

I took "Resident Evil" off the list because of age restrictions (same with "Tenchu"). Oh, and while I wanted to add the still excellent "Suikoden II", 2 of the 5 announced games are JRPGs already. "Front Mission 3" is a good call, as would be "Vagrant Story" and "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" (all three are already on the Playstation store in perfectly emulated form). It would also be cool to see the original "Ridge Racer" on this platform, or (semi-) hidden gems like "RayStorm", "Star Gladiator", "Rival Schools", "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" or "The Legend of Dragoon"!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
"Front Mission 3" is a good call, as would be "Vagrant Story" and "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" (all three are already on the Playstation store in perfectly emulated form).
I wouldn't bet on Symphony of the Night being included; it was recently rated (along with Rondo of Blood) by the ever-faithful Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee for the PS4. Since most games that get rated by them end up being worldwide releases (especially if the game is in English), it's a pretty safe bet we'll probably see an updated version of Dracula X Chronicles for the PS4.

If they're planning on selling a gussied up version of the game, I doubt they'd include it for "free" on the PS Classic.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Just to be clear: There is no list of included games yet, other than the 5 named in the official announcement. I was just speculating on what Sony might include - because it's fun!

I forgot "Twisted Metal"! I think that even without analog sticks, that's a given (probably "Twisted Metal 2"). I also forgot "PaRappa the Rapper", silly me! I had "Bloody Roar 2" and "Battle Arena Toshinden" on my list, but I fear the rights to those might be too muddy for Sony to care. I expect a lot of games from Konami, Capcom and Square/Taito for this exact reason. The whole thing has a distinct Japanese vibe to it, so I'm not holding my breath for many Take 2, Ubisoft, Activision and EA titles ("GTA"? "Rayman"? "Tony Hawk's Skateboarding"? "Need for Speed"?)

I took "Resident Evil" off the list because of age restrictions (same with "Tenchu"). Oh, and while I wanted to add the still excellent "Suikoden II", 2 of the 5 announced games are JRPGs already. "Front Mission 3" is a good call, as would be "Vagrant Story" and "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" (all three are already on the Playstation store in perfectly emulated form). It would also be cool to see the original "Ridge Racer" on this platform, or (semi-) hidden gems like "RayStorm", "Star Gladiator", "Rival Schools", "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" or "The Legend of Dragoon"!
On Resident Evil, I don't know that I'd want it included. I find the remake to be much better in just about every way.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I also wonder if hackers/modders will be able to add more titles like they did with the first NES launched?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I also wonder if hackers/modders will be able to add more titles like they did with the first NES launched?
I'm sure it's inevitable;the NES/SNES Classic has an active modding community, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same people latch onto this.

The only thing that will dramatically affect it's usefulness will be its storage space; the NES classic, for example, "conveniently" had 300MB of unused space, which is obviously more than the enough to hold a ton of games beyond the original 30. Aside from storage, quirks with the UI for both the NES and SNES don't allow them to display more than a certain amount of games. If I recall correctly, I think the NES Classic can display up to 90 games before the UI gets janky.

PSX games are significantly larger than the old 8- and 16-bit games, so it'll come down to how much storage space is left over when all is said and done.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

If you want this, more power to you. I don't get it, though. For about half that price you can get an actual ps1 and buy any and every game you could possibly want for a couple bucks each. And it would play CDs as an added bonus.

Like I said if you're into it, I'm glad it's there for you. I'm all about nostalgia. I just don't get the appeal of this, except it's smaller?
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote