New Ralph Breaks the...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 06:57 AM
1 Replies, 186 Views

Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Henry Cavill is OUT as Superman

The Hollywood Reporter has the sad news that Henry Cavill will not appear in future Warner Bros. films as The Man of Steel after talks broke down between him and the studio over a cameo in Shazam!

Quote:
The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.
I didn't think that The Man of Steel or Justice League really did the character any favors, so I don't think I mind them looking for a fresh start. Superman shouldn't be the brooding loner, that's Batman. Superman should be their fun character.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Batfleck might be out aswell. Isn't he in rehab still.

Wonder woman was good. So far everything else is a mixed bag at best. Maybe moving away the current version of supes and Batman might be the best move right now.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I think he was a decent Superman.... he was just in some lame DC movies....
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Batfleck might be out aswell. Isn't he in rehab still.

Wonder woman was good. So far everything else is a mixed bag at best. Maybe moving away the current version of supes and Batman might be the best move right now.
I think the rumors are that Batfleck wasn't going to be Batman in The Batman movie. I wish they would dump Ezra Miller as well, he was a terrible Flash and while the movie was a success, I think that Gal Gadot can't act and doesn't look the part of Wonder Woman.

Their only real success stories have been Batman, Harley and the Joker. And they aren't bringing Batfleck back? That's insane.

I think the real failure of Batman v Superman was that they didn't just do The Dark Knight returns -- Snyder tried to mix the story from Dark Knight into something else and it fell apart. The only good bits were the bits from Dark Knight, everything with Superman and Lex Luthor failed.

If they had gone straight forward with The Dark Knight story in an almost shot-for-shot movie like Snyder did with Watchmen, it would have been a huge success.

I'm not sure where Warner Bros should go. Shazam! looks like it will be a flop and everyone else is out??? I guess it is time for a clean reboot and the Hollywood Reporter article makes it sound like they are going to try that with a Supergirl movie.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think the rumors are that Batfleck wasn't going to be Batman in The Batman movie. I wish they would dump Ezra Miller as well, he was a terrible Flash and while the movie was a success, I think that Gal Gadot can't act and doesn't look the part of Wonder Woman.

Their only real success stories have been Batman, Harley and the Joker. And they aren't bringing Batfleck back? That's insane.

I think the real failure of Batman v Superman was that they didn't just do The Dark Knight returns -- Snyder tried to mix the story from Dark Knight into something else and it fell apart. The only good bits were the bits from Dark Knight, everything with Superman and Lex Luthor failed.

If they had gone straight forward with The Dark Knight story in an almost shot-for-shot movie like Snyder did with Watchmen, it would have been a huge success.

I'm not sure where Warner Bros should go. Shazam! looks like it will be a flop and everyone else is out??? I guess it is time for a clean reboot and the Hollywood Reporter article makes it sound like they are going to try that with a Supergirl movie.
Yeah. I don't hate the idea of just rebooting it all. Mistakes were made.

IDK about Supergirl, the tv show can be a SWJ fest. At least in the hand full of episodes I have watched. I know the movies are not connected but I don't really trust Hollywood to do anything but try to push Far left politics. Plus the coolest thing about supergril is Powergirl.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
smgalia
Knight

Rumor has it they are looking at Michael B Jordan as the next Superman.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Booda
Beam another Blast

Looks like they may have found a new superman.

It's like this except you flip it & reverse it...

Or is that what you call a "reboot"?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgalia View Post
Rumor has it they are looking at Michael B Jordan as the next Superman.
LoL, because having him Race swap in for jonny storm worked so well.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

They should just scrap the whole DC movie universe with new capable producers, directors, writers and actors who can do it some justice. If not just stop making them all together. Its been one turd after another. Oh well, least the animated movies are good.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
Its been one turd after another.
I wonder how the back-end finances are doing. Quality wise they are turds, but so were Transformers movies, yet making a Transformer movie is $$$ even if the creative teams keep changing (but the quality, such as it is, isn't).
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
TheHulk
Evil Dead

So their great idea is a reboot... and they choose Supergirl. They've already lost me.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
... I think that Gal Gadot can't act and doesn't look the part of Wonder Woman.
I go back and forth between really liking Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (mostly in the fight sequences) and then really not liking her at all (mainly as Diana). Personally I do not think there is any way to do a live-action Wonder Woman film where she just feels right in and out of being Wonder Woman. You really can't get the body proportions correct outside of doing it animated.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

I like Cavill, but his Superman didn't feel well rounded and emotive. I think he'll honestly be glad to be free of being pegged as the character.

Can't wait for the Witcher on Netflix.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Never done anything Witcher but given the fan popularity and Cavill's strong showing in other roles outside Superman, Cavill is going to be just fine.

I would like to see him do more like Man from U.N.C.L.E. though instead of dipping into fantasy. He has a presence that doesn't lend itself well to goofy or cartoonish settings.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

They're scrambling to deny Cavill is out. But they're also denying Affleck is out and that's the worst kept secret ever. The DCEU's biggest star in rehab for the millionth time makes him too much of an insurance liability. Kill the whole idea of a shared universe of DC movies and start over with one-off solo films.

That said, Man of Steel was great until he gets the suit and learns to fly. The movie should have stopped there. Maybe have an end credits thing with him applying for a job at the Daily Bugle in full-on Clark Kent dork mode. The early life stuff with him as a kid and learning stuff then going out on his own all felt like it was done by people who cared. When Michael Shannon and his crew show up it's the same old shit we've seen a million times. And I normally like Michael Shannon. I just watched The Iceman and he plays a misunderstood kinda evil weirdo so well.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #16
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
So their great idea is a reboot... and they choose Supergirl. They've already lost me.
To a high degree, this.
DC is struggling as it is at the box office and close enough to everywhere else to matter. Why do "girl" offshoots of popular titles?
You know what people aren't clamoring for? Female versions of male characters, it's exactly the opposite of what the current temperature is. Why can't you just have a character that's female and awesome in her own right?

I have a friend who has written for more than one popular television comedy and any time we go to a theme park where there's a female version of a male first hero/etc he points and goes, "Hey look, it's Batman-Girl!" or "Hey look, it's Spiderman-Girl!" which is totally my point.

Marvel is leading the pack, again, with Captain Marvel (even though I fucking hate that name).

That said, thank god Affleck is out. He was horrible. Henry though.. I'll miss Henry. If I ever watch another DC movie again, that is.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Superman a fun character?? Wow. Dude. It's called the Fortress of Solitude for a REASON. Superman is probably even more tortured and conflicted than Batman. DC has always been darker than Marvel. Leave the fun crap to Marvel. DC is dark which is why I vastly prefer it. That and there's no Stan Lee, thank goodness.

Cavill was the best Superman yet, by far.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #18
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
They should just scrap the whole DC movie universe with new capable producers, directors, writers and actors who can do it some justice. If not just stop making them all together. Its been one turd after another. Oh well, least the animated movies are good.
I liked them better than the Marvel movies, but then again I have always like DC over Marvel even growing up. Marvel is too childish and silly.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #19
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
That and there's no Stan Lee, thank goodness.
I can't help but cheer every time he is on screen. To me, Stan Lee is a symbol of enthusiasm. And, no: I will not stop and think about what he had to do to get where he's now.

Also, I liked his short quip in the current "Spider-Man" game.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Superman a fun character?? Wow. Dude. It's called the Fortress of Solitude for a REASON. Superman is probably even more tortured and conflicted than Batman. DC has always been darker than Marvel. Leave the fun crap to Marvel. DC is dark which is why I vastly prefer it. That and there's no Stan Lee, thank goodness.
DC being more "mature" than Marvel is such a joke. They're both just as childish and ridiculous when taken as a whole.