Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 09:19 PM
18,156 Replies, 2,924,378 Views

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

No Homebrew / No Hacks / No Mods

Please do not post links to Nintendo DS or Sony PSP homebrew websites, homebrew or hacking software or modding hardware in this forum.

These links will be removed and the threads will be closed.

Repeat offenders will be banned.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Xerxes

No links right. But I can say that the L5 card for modding the PSP can be bought at NOPE right? It's website name, just you know, without the "link."

Last edited by Evil Avatar; 03-20-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Nope.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Wonda Mic
Guards the Guard's Guards

I understand about the hacks and such, but DS homebrew is legal, isn't it?

wun-duh-mike
Wonda Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonda Mic View Post
Yeah but you know those Ubuntu torrents on Ubuntu's website or the WoW updates, Evil thinks they are pretty much illegal. You know cause even "legal" torrents is the devil. Illegal by association. I think the reasoning was, because you can use it for good, most you fuckers won't. He's probably right. I had a few "stolen" games on my DS, but I got caught up when given one of my high and mighty integrity speeches. Since then, I have bought the games I liked and deleted those I won't. Only thing on my SD cards are games I own, a reader, and some other programs on a site that shall not be named, cause I can't remember it. oh and some old ass roms, oh nos
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The problem is that while there are some legitimate uses for homebrew software -- a larger number of people are using it to pirate software and posting links to sites that help people pirate software is an insult to the developers who visit these forums.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Wonda Mic

But is it alright if we post some very excellent, fully legal, homebrew applications such as DsOrganize? I am not talking about posting ROM rips of Licensed Nintendo games, but the homemade applications. I believe there was once a thread, stuffed with good ones in the console section.

wun-duh-mike
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The problem is that while there are some legitimate uses for homebrew software -- a larger number of people are using it to pirate software and posting links to sites that help people pirate software is an insult to the developers who visit these forums.
True that. <Serious mode> Would mentioning the good programs by name be a crime as well? Not illegal programs but I recalled someone mentioning an e-reader and such. Google can help track them down with a name at least.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
iHap
Unbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
True that. <Serious mode> Would mentioning the good programs by name be a crime as well? Not illegal programs but I recalled someone mentioning an e-reader and such. Google can help track them down with a name at least.
Seconded. Can we at least post links to places that are legit. There might not be any sites that don't have shady business going on but it's worth a shot.
iHap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
jeffbax
Shazbot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Homebrew is 100% legal, it shouldn't be banned because the same tools can be used to pirate. Its not like this will stop anyone from finding it - it will just keep people from discussing cool shit.

If the RIAA had this mentality they would try to band the whole Internet. I can see piracy, but homebrew is NOT piracy and it is insulting to the talented developers who participate in it to make that association.
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
Sl1pstream
is excited.

Problem is, Nintendo doesn't seem to agree with that.

Quote:
Following reports suggesting that DS software piracy is rampant in the US, Nintendo told Next-Gen that it “continues to be aggressive” in taking action against such illegal activity, but noted that game copying devices “have not reached the mass market” yet.
They're against even owning a flashcard. There's a thread in the subscribers forums, it might be better to discuss things there.
Sl1pstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Wonda Mic

But that would require being > Yellow

wun-duh-mike
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
cp#
Evil Dead

Quick, hide this thread

the tags... they do nothing!
cp# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Sl1pstream
is excited.

Quote:
But that would require being > Yellow
But it would also mean that the discussion wouldn't include you, which is a huge plus.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
ParTime
Squire

As someone who's written some DS homebrew myself... ouch. It looks like the preferred method is going directly for the front page
ParTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Sl1pstream
is excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParTime View Post
As someone who's written some DS homebrew myself... ouch.
While that's definitely understandable, the fact that Nintendo is against any type of homebrew (the good things included), starting a sticky about it means that some people's jobs are at risk. I don't really see that being worth it.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
JayK47
Evil Dead

The big DS homebrew thread had some good info in it. Since when has this forum become so politically correct?
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
derjester
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbax View Post
Homebrew is 100% legal, it shouldn't be banned because the same tools can be used to pirate. Its not like this will stop anyone from finding it - it will just keep people from discussing cool shit.

If the RIAA had this mentality they would try to band the whole Internet. I can see piracy, but homebrew is NOT piracy and it is insulting to the talented developers who participate in it to make that association.
I agree with this 100%. There's no reason to limit the discussion of independent developers because of the platform they've chosen to develop on. People independently develop apps for the PC and Mac platforms, should we ban those discussions as well? People can pirate PC games if they own a CD burner.

Homebrew is the reason why I own a DS. I whole heartedly agree that people should be actioned for pointing to sites that promote piracy on any platform.
derjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
Wonda Mic

Piracy <> Home brew

wun-duh-mike
Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #19
InfiniteAmmo
Evil Dead

It's a shame that Homebrew postings aren't being allowed here on EvAv. I understand it's Evil's site and whatnot, but he's never shied away from controversy before. Hell, he lets Johan stay, right? :P

I get the piracy issue. That's a no-brainer. But no homebrew?

Homebrew is completely, 100% legal, and some of the applications are very useful. Not to mention the growing independent DS games movement.

While we're at it, should we stop posting about independent PC games too, because technically, they're "homebrew"?

Is nothing that isn't from a major developer not allowed to be posted about?

What a damn shame.
InfiniteAmmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
NoName
Banned - Am not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
The big DS homebrew thread had some good info in it. Since when has this forum become so politically correct?
I used that thread occasionally to see if there was any new interesting homebrew to use. Sad to see it gone :/.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote