Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 12:47 AM
5 Replies, 603 Views

Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ewan McGregor in Talks for an Obi-Wan Kenobi Series for Disney+

Quote:
The Jedi Order is once again calling Ewan McGregor into service.

The actor, who famously portrayed the masterful Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi in three Star Wars movies, is in negotiations to reprise the role in a Kenobi-centered series for Disney+, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The development positions the series as the third Star Wars title being made for the upcoming streaming platform, which is set to launch this fall and is meant to take aim at rival digital services such as Netflix while taking Disney and its brands into new audience realms.

Disney+ and Lucasfilm, the producer behind all things Star Wars, are already making The Mandalorian, a series based on the class of warriors and bounty hunters first embodied by fan-favorite Boba Fett, and an untitled series characterized as a prequel to 2016's Rogue One featuring Rebel Alliance officer Cassian Andor, with Diego Luna reprising the role.

No timeline or creative talent for the Kenobi project were revealed. The Mandalorian is set to debut in November as a launch title for Disney+, while the Rogue One prequel has Stephen Schiff (The Americans) writing and showrunning.
Hollywood Reporter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Meh. I like McGregor. I just have no interest in this. The Mandalorian and clone wars season 7 are the only things star wars that I am looking forward to.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Sounds good to me! It seems like they are putting a lot of production value into Mandalorian so maybe they will with this. I'd really like some Star Wars with ACTUAL JEDI. It seems like Star Wars/Destiny is forgetting about JEDI. So, maybe this show will actually have them.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
drevezan
Dread Lord

R/prequelmemes is going to go bonkers for this. I am not too personally interested but think this is absolutely the right call to increase viewership.
drevezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

There is literally nothing in the Star Wars universe of product-pushing-pillage that I am interested in the slightest. Not a thing.

Frankly, that is sad. Well done Disney! You finished the murder Lucas began!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

He looks like Obi-Wan Shinobi.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Azzy
Cthulian

When Disney picked up Star Wars I thought it was a perfect fit. It being such family friendly fantasy than tough, gritty sci-fi.
Now, I just kind of wish they'd sell it to something that'd add some fucking meat to the show.

I went from looking forward to the story of Skywalker to not caring about any of this whatsoever.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I'm hoping they use - at least in part - Kenobi as some inspiration. It was set during Kenobi's early years in exile on Tatooine, and the whole thing was basically a Western/wandering ronin type of story that could easily translate into a series like this.

McGregor was one of the best parts of the prequels, so I'm glad to see him coming back to the role.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Grumsh
Evil Dead

I am kind of agreeing with Terran here, I just can't get my give-a-f* meter to move on anything announced for Star Wars anymore these days.

I grew up on the original trilogy, you know, the sequels, hey don't look at me I find it just as dumb to write, and the more that happens in the Star Wars-verse the more bored I get.

I know partially all this is due to lazy writing because I know I could play some of the old good Star Wars games. I could read some of the old StarnWars books. Yet if I see them blow up a Death Star for the 19th time I might burn my Star Wars collection.

Dear Disney,

Try something, ANYTHING, new that isn't a retread of the same frickin' story for the 50th time.

Signed,
Star Wars fans

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

This could be really cool. I'm kinda picturing a Kung Fu (tv series) kind of scenario. Assuming he's going to be wandering around the galaxy hiding from the empire and trying not to reveal he's a Jedi.

I think what we need is new Star Wars that actually captures the atmosphere of the original trilogy. As much as people like to say it was for kids (including George), I don't buy it really. Sure, kids were going to love it too, but you don't cut people's arms off in a kids movie. You don't show people being tortured for information in a kids movie. You don't feed people to a Rancor or a Sarlac in a kids movie.

And there was a nice pacing that allowed for not only action sequences, but also moments that showed shots of evening desert scenes, cities floating in the clouds, or allowing time to capture the haunting feeling of a dense swamp or forest. The newer stuff doesn't seem to allow for those moments of atmosphere. You never get to settle into the universe as well as you did in the originals.

I think the plot retreads are also a big problem, and I agree that we need stuff that feels original and separated from the scenes and characters of the originals while still believably occupying the same universe. Granted, Obi-Wan is one of the original characters, but that doesn't mean he has to run into anyone else we already know. I'm so tired of stupid crap like Yoda and Chewbacca knowing each other previously, or C3P0 being made by Anakin. They need to stop making the whole Darth-Vader-is-dad-and-Leia-and-Luke-are-siblings an ongoing, repeated Star Wars trope. Just let it be a fun one-time reveal in the original trilogy.

Last edited by t3kl3r; 08-17-2019 at 09:47 PM..
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
This could be really cool. I'm kinda picturing a Kung Fu (tv series) kind of scenario. Assuming he's going to be wandering around the galaxy hiding from the empire and trying not to reveal he's a Jedi.
Replace "the galaxy" with "Tatooine" and you're probably right.

Tags
disney+, obi-wan