Forza Horizon 4 DLC...
Last post by Misanthropist
Yesterday 07:01 PM
2 Replies, 456 Views

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Holy Crap! TOONAMI is Back! Sorta.

I had adult swim on for background noise tonight, as I always do...when something different happened once the clock struck midnight. I heard music I hadn't heard for years; when I looked up, I saw the good ol' Toonami logo crawl across the screen.

They brought me right back to high school with DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star. Good stuff.
It's not even a rebroadcast of old stuff, either; they even included a brief review of Mass Effect 3 for good measure(they gave it an 8.5).

I'm sure it's just an April Fool's joke, but I did miss this animation block. It introduced me to a number of anime series that, while not necessarily the best, definitely led me towards a number of solid series over the years. Knowing it's likely just this one night only makes it nothing more than a cruel joke.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami#Legacy

Quote:
On April 1st, 2012, just past Toonami's 15th anniversary, Adult Swim replaced itself with the third version of Toonami, featuring Tom 3.0. The channel guide did not reflect the changes, as is typical of Adult Swim's April Fools' jokes. Several classic shows were aired from the original lineup, with a special focus on season finales or final episodes (excluding Big O, which was instead episode #1). The shows were: Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Outlaw Star, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Sub #6, and Trigun. Tom also did a brand new bumper for the new episode of Bleach, plus a next episode preview.

The revival featured original bumps done by the original voice actor, and the classic promo, Dreams. There was an original game review of Mass Effect 3, giving the game an 8.5/10 while criticizing the ending for being "weak." Also done were original advertisements for DVDs of each of the animes shown in a more adult tone, such as Tom referring to the song, 99 Problems, when discussing the Tenchi Muyo DVD, or encouraging the viewer to enjoy more nudity and violence with the Outlaw Star DVD.
Kinda wish I had the TV on for that.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

Kinda wish I hadn't passed out early last night. =(
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Khaos View Post
Kinda wish I hadn't passed out early last night. =(
Us both, especially after I agreed to help out at a soup kitchen later today. Fucking massive hangover
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I had adult swim on for background noise tonight, as I always do...when something different happened once the clock struck midnight. I heard music I hadn't heard for years; when I looked up, I saw the good ol' Toonami logo crawl across the screen.

They brought me right back to high school with DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star. Good stuff.
It's not even a rebroadcast of old stuff, either; they even included a brief review of Mass Effect 3 for good measure(they gave it an 8.5).

I'm sure it's just an April Fool's joke, but I did miss this animation block. It introduced me to a number of anime series that, while not necessarily the best, definitely led me towards a number of solid series over the years. Knowing it's likely just this one night only makes it nothing more than a cruel joke.
Internet>Toonami. You can watch all of those "shows", or buy em over the net. Hell Internet>TV.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Internet>Toonami. You can watch all of those "shows", or buy em over the net. Hell Internet>TV.
It's not about the shows themselves, it's about the nostalgia of watching this block as a kid. The whole Toonami backdrop really added to the experience.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

I grew up on that shit too. Great stuff!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Zelos
Evil Dead

http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/

It's not the same as watching it on the tube, but it gets the job done.

Also there is a torrent for the broadcast along with the bumps and no commercials. Also the voice of Tom said if you want Toonami back give feed back at http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/index.html select programing and then select Toonami.

Lets do this people!!!

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

So many crappy animes...and people on the chat being bigger nerds than me. Meh.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Metal Khaos
Evil Dead

I'm gonna go there. Would like to see Toonami back.
Metal Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adult swim, dbz, holy crap, toonami