Fantastic Beasts: The...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 04:14 PM
3 Replies, 279 Views

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Incredible Week

Now that E3 is over and my vacation is coming to a close, I still have a couple of days left before I return to work to binge out on video games (instead of just watching trailers for video games like Sunday/Monday/Tuesday).

Last night my Daughter and I (who is named after a Batman villain, BTW) went out to catch The Incredibles 2. It’s Incredible. The plot is a little bit on the familiar side, but the action, animation and laughs are all dialed up 1000% over the first movie. This really is a case where the sequel is better than the first film. It has been 14 years waiting and it was worth the wait. We got tons of comments from everyone at the theater who loved our matching Incredibles jerseys. (Yes, they are 10+ years old, they are from Disneyworld during the launch of the first film. We were smart and bought the kids shirts several sizes too large.)

After the thread about the Nintendo Press Conference I did go and spend my evening playing Injustice 2. Great game with just tons and tons of stuff to unlock, but I’m not that great at it. I think it really is a game where you need a fight stick to enjoy. I know several of the movies for my favorite character (Supergirl), but only seem to be able to pull them off like 50% of the time.

I also picked up a copy of Wolfenstein II from Amazon. I was hoping for a bit more from the graphics after seeing some of the gameplay videos for the Switch version that is launching soon. It’s more of the same, but not in a bad way. I may switch to another game for the rest of the weekend, I have several that remain untouched.

It was worth it again to take the week off to watch the E3 press conferences, though working nights, I was just wiped out most of the week. By the time Sony ended their press conference I was about to fall asleep, and not from the show, just from switching hours. I’m sure I will do the same next year.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I also spent a bunch of hours on Heroes of the Storm this week. I missed out on the rewards for the last event by a few days which is too bad, there were some neat skins to unlock.

Ranked play still has the same problems, you get one guy who is off doing his own thing and not following the objectives and it doesn’t matter how well the rest of the team does, you are still screwed from the beginning. It’s a toxic community filled with griefers and people who just don’t seem to care about winning or playing as a team. Oddly, the unranked mode always seems to generate better teams and has less people who are just off doing their own thing. Which is odd, it seems like since there is nothing to gain from playing the unranked that you would get people who didn’t care much about the objectives.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

This is good news. I had very low expectations for Incredibles 2. The trailers just don't look good. But it's nice to see a glowing review.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
This is good news. I had very low expectations for Incredibles 2. The trailers just don't look good. But it's nice to see a glowing review.
The trailer spends too much time on the Mr. Mom part of the movie and leaves out most of the best stuff. Which is kinda what a good trailer should do, tell you what the movie is without giving away everything.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The trailer spends too much time on the Mr. Mom part of the movie and leaves out most of the best stuff. Which is kinda what a good trailer should do, tell you what the movie is without giving away everything.
I feel like this is pretty common for Pixar stuff. They tend to focus on showing a little skit as advertising.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
DingBat
Evil Dead

I generally won't re-watch most animated movies, but The Incredibles is the one major exception to that rule. It's just so good.

"No capes!"
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There's a fine line. Up until your review, I had almost no interest in seeing this in the theater due to the trailer and the first was by far my favorite Pixar movie.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

I'm with Chief Smash on this one. The trailers, much like those for Inside Out, totally turned me off of the film. If it wasn't for close friends/family who know me to a T recommending these files, I would have totally passed on them.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Just got back from I2 and it was good. The whole family enjoyed it. Worth a theater viewing!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Your daughter is named after a Batman villain? You named her Harley?! I one up you sir. My daughter is named after a Spider-Man heroine!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #11
magicka
Lord

You named your daughter Spider-woman?!
magicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
actusoul
Evil Dead

Thank you for the review of Incredibles 2. My children and I love the original. If you think its better, then that is a good sign. Happy for Pixar.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Your daughter is named after a Batman villain? You named her Harley?! I one up you sir. My daughter is named after a Spider-Man heroine!
I'll up you both.

My daughter is named after a Voltron character.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Speaking of movies, we just got back from taking the kids to see Solo. It's kind of funny. It was the best of the new wave of Star Wars movies and it made by far the least money.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Solo...was the best of the new wave of Star Wars movies
Gotta disagree. Rogue One, then Solo, then way down in the gutter are TFA and TLJ.

My order of the films, best to worst:

Ep. 5
Ep. 4
Rogue One
Ep. 6
Solo
Ep. 1-3 in any order because they all sucked.
Ep. 7 and 8 in the burn pile out back.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Speaking of movies, we just got back from taking the kids to see Solo. It's kind of funny. It was the best of the new wave of Star Wars movies and it made by far the least money.
It was loads better than Last Jedi, but still not really "good". We enjoyed it and I think it ends pretty strong, but it still has a lot of problems. Least of which is that the Kessel Run was pretty dull and too similar to scenes we have seen at least a half dozen times in these movies.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Nice write up Evil! Glad to hear about I2!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #18
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

It wasn’t great but it felt so much better than the rest to me. I think Rogue One is overrated. We’ve rewatched it a couple of times and without the Vader slaughter at the end, I find the movie pretty forgettable. The rest just didn’t feel really Star Warsy to me. Solo did though I can’t exactly say why at this moment. I also felt like the characters in this one were more memorable and likable. To each his own of course.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Harley Quinn wasn’t a thing when she was born.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
It wasn’t great but it felt so much better than the rest to me.
Fair enough.

I found the last 20-30 minutes of Rogue One to be the best Star Wars of any of the last four films. Gripping action, poignant, connected to the first trilogy but in a way that didn't seem derivative or lame like the entire TFA copycat.

As you say, to each his own!

Tags
pure evil