A small request
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:03 PM
13 Replies, 321 Views

Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Shooting the SCAR in Battlefield 4 vs Real Life

When I was in the military, I had the opportunity to shoot and qualify on many different weapons. From the M-16A1 to the M72 LAW rocket, training on these weapons was a blast! However, I have never seen let alone shoot a SCAR in real life, so when this opportunity came up, I seized on it!

Click to read more and check out the video!
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

My wife and I went shooting on Friday with a friend of ours to practice shooting our pistols (Glock 22 and Glock 21). Fortunately for us, our friend brought along his SCAR for us to try out. Now for those of you who don’t know (like me), the SCAR shoots a .308 round, which is essentially a 7.62mm. This round is similarly used in the M60 and M60E3 models, which I’ve qualified on when I was in the service. Shooting the 60, however, was NOTHING compared to shooting the SCAR.

First of all, when we had to qualify with the M60, it was usually sand bagged down at the bipods or it was secured using a “T and E” or also known as a traversing and elevation mechanism. So when we shot the weapon, it had little to no recoil. The SCAR on the other hand was a bit different. The SCAR is semi-automatic so auto was not an option, which is a good thing because I don’t know how anyone could control that thing using automatic fire. Additionally, I shot the SCAR standing up. It was a bit heavier than the AR-15 we shot, but I was able to still get a good grip on the weapon.

Not going to lie, as you can see in the video, the first shot was a surprise. I actually didn’t expect it to kick too much, but it packed a punch that I was not ready for. After a few shots, though, I settled in and felt more comfortable. By the second round, it felt natural. With the SCAR, you have to be rough with it and just hold on for the ride. A VERY powerful weapon, but a very fun rifle to shoot.

Check out my experience below as I put some Battlefield 4 footage at the beginning to show a comparison from video game to real life. In the game, I was able to shoot fully automatic with very good accuracy. When I shot the SCAR in real life, well, let’s just say I didn’t put a photo of the target in the article for a reason!

Have a good rest of the weekend

Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nice! good video. I could see in the first shot it kicked like a mule. Looks like a fun rifle to fire, though. I'd like to have one myself.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
DingBat
Evil Dead

Way back, a buddy of mine was a collector of sorts (not an easy thing to be in Canada). He had a AR-15, a Ruger mini-14, an H&K G3, and, while they were legal, an ex-Forces FAL.

Both the FAL and the G3 were 7.62. Those were big, heavy guns especially compared to the AR-15. The G3 kicked like a mule. I also remember it flung the brass quite a ways which was a bit of a pain in the ass when it came to cleaning up.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Nice video man. I'm headed to the range today (and when I say range I mean my back yard). I'll be plinking around with some .223, 5.56, .22, and 9mm!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Great video. Nice range too. Whenever I try to go every person in the area is there with their ARs 3 deep trying to shoot.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

That was neat, appreciate the time you put into this. And that thing does kick hard.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

If you get to shoot it again, I’d suggest that you try leaning more forward and moving your non-shooting hand away from the magazine well and into the angled grip. You’re actually leaning a little back with your stance. Just something to maybe see how it feels. Nice video, I enjoyed it.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

With all that training in the Murder Simulator of Battlefield I am surprised you were not instantly an expert the second the rifle hit your hands.

You clearly aren't following the "Guide on how to use Video Games to Become Proficient at Mass Shootings" which is apparently posted all over the internet or something.

Non-sarcastically, I could see the surprise when that first (and second) shot went off. Loved the video! Next time I want to see the target!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Man what a response! Appreciate all the positive feedback. Hope everyone had a great Father's Day! Will have to figure out a way to do more of these!

Quote:
If you get to shoot it again, I’d suggest that you try leaning more forward and moving your non-shooting hand away from the magazine well and into the angled grip. You’re actually leaning a little back with your stance. Just something to maybe see how it feels. Nice video, I enjoyed it.
Thanks for the tip, man! The SCAR was a beast and I definitely need all the help I can get, lol. Glad you liked it!

Quote:
With all that training in the Murder Simulator of Battlefield I am surprised you were not instantly an expert the second the rifle hit your hands.

You clearly aren't following the "Guide on how to use Video Games to Become Proficient at Mass Shootings" which is apparently posted all over the internet or something.

Non-sarcastically, I could see the surprise when that first (and second) shot went off. Loved the video! Next time I want to see the target!
I'll show pics of the target next time for sure, but I didn't want to show anyone this time. It was pretty bad, lol.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Maybe he didn't attend public school?
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

That looked like fun. Thanks for sharing that with us all here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Azzy
Cthulian

Why do things only kick like mules?
I know mules kick quickly, but so do Korean Tae Kwon Do competitors, angry Kangaroo, hell, I once had a sleeping St. Bernard kick me out of bed and onto the floor.
But those mules, you know, they kick.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Nice vid IGX, thanks for taking the time and for sharing it as well!
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #15
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Both the FAL and the G3 were 7.62. Those were big, heavy guns especially compared to the AR-15. The G3 kicked like a mule. I also remember it flung the brass quite a ways which was a bit of a pain in the ass when it came to cleaning up.
The G3 was the only weapon I was allowed to fire during my time in the army (I served in the nerd squad). That was a beautiful, no-nonsense gun, and, yes: If you didn't respect it, it gave you a black shoulder. Also, mine was a few years older than I was myself, so it pulled a bit to the upper left. Oh, and we were never given a scope for the thing. Fortunately, you don't have to deal with any of these restrictions in video games*. I quite liked the 7.62 mm assault rifles in the old true "Rainbow Six" games, because they were capable of shooting through doors.

*) Maybe jamming or imprecise rifles are a feature that should be implemented in games where you have to pick up guns (not just ammo) that were dropped by downed enemies? I really don't like the idea of picking up untested "loser" weapons. I believe "Halo" was the first popular singleplayer game to embrace this concept in the early 2000s, and all I could think was: "No soldier would just give up his weapon like that and pick up an alien gun from the ground..."
Old 06-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #16
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Way back, a buddy of mine was a collector of sorts (not an easy thing to be in Canada). He had a AR-15, a Ruger mini-14, an H&K G3, and, while they were legal, an ex-Forces FAL.

Yup the G3, preferred arms of the Tatmadaw (Burmese Armed forces) a bitch to be shot by (talking from experience), a bitch to have it smash your skull in (again from experience) and a bitch to lug around especially when you are around eight.