Yesterday 07:36 PM
25 Replies, 1,554 Views

Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Report: New Diablo Game in the Works

IGN has the story.

Quote:
No official announcement has been made, but a new Diablo project appears to be in the works

A recently posted job listing for a dungeon artist at Blizzard has confirmed a new Diablo project is currently being worked on at the studio.

Whether that new project is for a proper Diablo IV or a new type of game from the franchise remains to be seen, as few details are provided as part of the job listing.

Blizzard, however, does hint it won't lose what makes Diablo so popular as they are looking for people who are "passionate about working on the dark gothic world of Diablo, making great games, killing millions of monsters and getting loot!"
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Sorry about the lack of updates guys. I started a new job at a law firm, and I have been wrapped up in training.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

A Diablo that looks like Dark Souls would be interesting.that is to say, third person behind the back.

It would also be interesting to see them reverse the colorful design of Diablo 3. That was one of the first games that rejected that “neutrals only” design of the previous generation. It would be cool if they turned it all on its head again by having super sharp, high res textures that had limited saturation. Go for tactile texture instead of color.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh I can't wait.... always up for some Diablo. I just hope they focus on the campaign this time and expand the story more, not just focus on the "postgame". That shit is for MMOs.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

I like this but at the same time I know I won't see it until 2025 so hard to get excited
Old 06-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I've been waiting for a 3rd-person (over the shoulder) action game from Blizzard since... fucking forever.

Please let this be it.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Oh I can't wait.... always up for some Diablo. I just hope they focus on the campaign this time and expand the story more, not just focus on the "postgame". That shit is for MMOs.
Well, who's to say this isn't an MMO? It wouldn't be the first time Blizzard tagged one of their flagship franchises for such a project.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Skunk
Evil Dead

Honestly? I could go for a Diablo MMO. It would probably feel a bit theme-park but I'm sure they'd do it right. The ARPG is essentially that but with less vertical movement.

I'd also not turn down a WoW2, which I know is stupid but I'd love to see a new engine and a reboot or time jump from where the franchise currently is. There's just too much Saturday Morning Cartoon show in the writing now.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
Honestly? I could go for a Diablo MMO. It would probably feel a bit theme-park but I'm sure they'd do it right. The ARPG is essentially that but with less vertical movement.

I'd also not turn down a WoW2, which I know is stupid but I'd love to see a new engine and a reboot or time jump from where the franchise currently is. There's just too much Saturday Morning Cartoon show in the writing now.
I second this. I would love to see a Diablo MMO and/or a WoW2 that is less "Saturday Morning Cartoon". That's a perfect way to describe the current state of the game.

Whatever the new Diablo is, I really just want it to be darker and more "evil".
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
A Diablo that looks like Dark Souls would be interesting.that is to say, third person behind the back.
You took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly what I would want. Diablo is a great universe but a top down clickfest has already been done. I was bored after a while because there was little skill. Very repetitive. You could swirl in circles and just watch things die. Over and over.

Also, a game in the Diablo universe as an exploratory FIRST PERSON Dungeon crawl. Weapons, upgrades, stats, bonuses etc. A single player or multiplayer game (friends as part of a party). Solid quest and story. A D&D module with AAA money.

Lets see what they do.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 AM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

A diablo MMO that is not wow's boring combat that is action combat I overwhelmingly welcome to show the KOR mmo developers how to make a fucking great combat game AND HAVE A GREAT MMO SYSTEM. No pay to win. Minimal cosmetic bullshit. CONTENT.

Fucking koreans(I'm korean) creating grinds that make whaling the reasonable option and the carrot for people to play their game instead of content.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
A diablo MMO that is not wow's boring combat that is action combat I overwhelmingly welcome to show the KOR mmo developers how to make a fucking great combat game AND HAVE A GREAT MMO SYSTEM. No pay to win. Minimal cosmetic bullshit. CONTENT.

Fucking koreans(I'm korean) creating grinds that make whaling the reasonable option and the carrot for people to play their game instead of content.
MMOs are a thing of yesteryear; a decade ago, I would have believed Blizzard would have considered developing a Diablo MMO. In 2018, that ship has long sailed.

Expect a game that will ultimately be familiar and similar to its predecessors, especially after how rocky D3's life way. I wouldn't expect them to break the mold too much with something like a Dark Souls version of Diablo.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I've been waiting for a 3rd-person (over the shoulder) action game from Blizzard since... fucking forever.

Please let this be it.
Starcraft GHOST?

Either direction they take, I'm going to play this new Diablo game... unless it's a MOBA, Battle Royale, or Card (a la Hearthstone) game.

Diablo 3 sucked, until they fixed it with the Reaper of Souls patch/expac; after that I played the shit out of it, even though it wasn't as good as Diablo 2.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
MMOs are a thing of yesteryear...
Well, everything aside from WoW. I doubt Blizzard will make a Diablo MMO when WoW is still killing it. I mean, Project Titan, which was an MMO, was scrapped and later turned into Overwatch. Clearly, they know they can't release a game that competes with their cash cow.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Sorry about the lack of updates guys. I started a new job at a law firm, and I have been wrapped up in training.
Congrats man, good luck!

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #16
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Congrats on the job!
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #17
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Congo-wet-rats on the job.

I bet D4 has been in the works for a while, probably since D3's expansion. Would be a total waste if they didn't start it right away. If you think about it, D3s backend is rock solid already. They have nailed the technical aspect of networking, so now they need to deliver a new story with up to date graphics and mechanics. I really hope that stupid AH never gets another chance.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:51 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

D3 was pretty solid post-RoS expansion, but the end game is just not fulfilling. I've been playing Path of Exile for a while and that game does the end game much better. Diablo 4 needs several things to really work:

* Variability in class builds. Get rid of the 'class sets' concept with gear and make variations in items/skills end game viable. PoE does this in spades! In some ways it becomes almost impossible to perfectly copy someone's build in PoE, whereas in D3 you just look at the leaderboard to know what build works and imitate it exactly.
* Loot drops need to be tuned a lot. Early D3 dropped absolute garbage, later D3 was better. PoE does it best. I'm still getting new items I've never seen before six months after starting, but I've still gotten enough gear to progress along the way.
* There needs to be a non-cash-based auction house, but it shouldn't be to replace decent loot drop mechanics.

I'm also not interested in a third-person over the shoulder shitfest. I don't want Gears of Souls in my Diablo, thank you. <spits>

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard entertainment, diablo, diablo 4