1 Replies, 246 Views
PUBG Coming to PS4...
Last post by SpectralThundr
11-17-2018 10:13 PM
16 Replies, 1,342 Views

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #21
Nezabyte
Dread Lord

Meh, don't plan on ever buying games, even exclusives, on Origin. I'd rather purchase retail.
Nezabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Also remember, EA are the king dicks when it comes to pulling dedicated servers off older titles. Your multiplayer experience comes with an expiration date when it comes to EA products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Also remember, EA are the king dicks when it comes to pulling dedicated servers off older titles. Your multiplayer experience comes with an expiration date when it comes to EA products.
Whats the worst offense they did there? I always assumed they were pulling that dick move with mostly just sports titles.
mrbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
lockwoodx
Photobomber

I remember they've recycled their battlefield servers, cutting off the lesser ones while they were still active.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
ThomasPaine
Knight

ehhhh isn't Bioshock 2k Games?
ThomasPaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #26
lockwoodx
Photobomber

EA Closing Multiplayer Servers for 20 Games

Quote:
A large selection of "older EA titles" will lose multiplayer support when their servers are shut

down on Tuesday, February 2, the development giant has revealed.

The list of twenty affected titles features a number of relatively new titles such as August 2008 release Madden NFL 09--succeeded by August 2009's Madden NFL 10--and November 2008's Facebreaker, as well as some with a few more years under their belts.

Break faces no more after that fateful Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!

"You may continue to play the games online up until these dates," EA explains, "but certain community programs may begin to close down prior to the shutdown dates."

The closures do not necessarily affect all platforms or territories. For example, NBA 07 servers will continue to run for PlayStation 3 after EA shuts down the Xbox 360 and PSP's. Meanwhile, the whole world faces an end to multiplayer NASCAR 09 on PlayStation 2 but only Europe loses the joys of racing around oval tracks on 360 and PS3 too.

This is by no means the first round of EA severs shutdowns, though with thirty-seven editions of twenty games games set to lose multiplayer it is certainly is larger than 2009's, when online support was ended for seventeen editions of eight games in April.

EA warns of servers shutdown on the back of its game boxes, though in small print and perhaps not in the clearest language. "EA may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on www.ea.com," reads the boilerplate warning, with season-based sports games sporting addendums similar to Madden NFL 09's "...or 30 days after the last day of the 2008-2009 NFL season."

"All of us at EA would like to thank you for your valued participation in our online gaming community," a friendly note on the announcement page reads, "and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond."
There we go, still waking up. ^
Quote:
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasPaine View Post
ehhhh isn't Bioshock 2k Games?
Bioshock is indeed 2k games. All those unreal 3 engines look so outdated they are all blending together and I can't tell who the publishers are anymore
Quote:
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Blog
Evil Dead

Unless EA really steps up and makes Origin a real competitor to Steam in terms of features and customer-friendlyness, I just don't see myself buying any game from Origins. Or one that would require an Origins account, for that matter.

I might get the physical copy of some EA games that I really want, but physical copies rarely get cheap enough for me to bother with.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

No matter how nice they make Origin I am not going to divide my game library. And trying to force me to use it rather than provide a superior service just makes things worse.

Fucking EA.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #30
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Foolish decision. Very foolish.
Yeah, it's a bad move betting against Steam at this point. Too much pride, I guess.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #31
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Foolish decision. Very foolish.
The smartest move for any business to make is to cut out the middle man.
Quote:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
The smartest move for any business to make is to cut out the middle man.
Not always. If you're a farmer, and you think the grocery store gets too big a cut, selling all of your crops out of the barn may not be a good plan.

Particularly if you've tried selling out of your barn before and it keeps collapsing onto the few customers who wander by.

And your parking lot is nothing but the swine pen, where cars always get stuck in knee-deep pig shit.

And you sell it for more in your barn than the grocery store charged.

And you named the barn after those workers you raped to death back in the late 90s.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #33
Blog
Evil Dead

Best. Metaphor. Ever.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Not always. If you're a farmer, and you think the grocery store gets too big a cut, selling all of your crops out of the barn may not be a good plan.

Particularly if you've tried selling out of your barn before and it keeps collapsing onto the few customers who wander by.

And your parking lot is nothing but the swine pen, where cars always get stuck in knee-deep pig shit.

And you sell it for more in your barn than the grocery store charged.

And you named the barn after those workers you raped to death back in the late 90s.
Hilarious. +1

On the one hand, its like someone said on Page 1, the best thing would be to offer it on Origin for less $$$ than Steam, but perhaps this means the PC multiplayer would be two different groups.

Hate that the TOS says download only available for 1 year. So if I buy Mass Effect 2, download but don't play it, then my computer dies a year later and I want to get it again there's no promises... that is terrible.

It looks like BF3 has some chance of narrowly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against being the top shooter in the market.

I can't believe Im saying this but Steam was a good monopoly.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #35
VIVIsectVI
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=Demo_Boy;2021642]Hate that the TOS says download only available for 1 year. So if I buy Mass Effect 2, download but don't play it, then my computer dies a year later and I want to get it again there's no promises... that is terrible.[QUOTE]

Funny you say that, because I bought the physical copies of Mass Effect 1 and 2 around a year ago and haven't played them yet. Since I actually own them, it's nice that I can play them whenever I want. Luckily they're still available on Steam, but who knows for how long.
VIVIsectVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #36
VIVIsectVI
Evil Dead

Bleh, quote fail.
VIVIsectVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Has it come down to really complaining about where you have to digitally download something.

Now if it was a store thing, where you had to drive somewhere, ok I see your agrument then, but you are really going to complain about something like this. You dont even have to leave your chair.

Man, the world is just getting lazier one download at a time.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #38
Azriel77
Evil Dead

Sorry, the ONLY digital services I use are Steam and GOG, I will NOT be using a third one, especially for the dung pile called EA. EA is stupid because this will just drive people to pirate the games who might have bought it off steam.
Azriel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #39
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel77 View Post
Sorry, the ONLY digital services I use are Steam and GOG, I will NOT be using a third one, especially for the dung pile called EA. EA is stupid because this will just drive people to pirate the games who might have bought it off steam.
See that is a choice. And a choice that could be altered. I am just saying. To complain about something that really doesn't have any effect other then you have to log into a different account come on.

How many times have you seen stuff being sold exclusively for a store, it happens. This is just another case of that, but digitally.

I dont know, maybe I am just looking at it wrong.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Well, now I'll be buying Mass Effect 3 in a store, and if it needs Origin, I'll be cracking it.

No one else noticed that Crysis 2 is also 60 bucks on Origin as well? lol Pirates will still get their games, you can play Steam games without Steam even installed for ages now, so a pointless move there on EA's part, will be the same for them.

Crysis 2 is still available on other distribution services as well.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crysis 2, electronic arts