Today 08:59 AM
9 Replies, 512 Views

Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Gears of War 5 Will Support Keyboard and Mouse on Xbox One

Via TweakTown
Quote:
Razer is one of the growing peripheral-makers that are bringing their mice and keyboards to the Xbox One, and a new updated list of supported games shows some titles that aren't even out yet. Gears of War 5 is listed (with Chroma support no less), but this isn't a surprise, and in fact we should see all of Microsoft's major first-party games get KB&M support. With KB&M support, Microsoft continues blurring the lines between consoles and PC, which was the plan all along. This is an important piece of the cross-platform ecosystem Microsoft has created, and since every new first-party Microsoft game is coming to PC as well, we should see these games also get KB&M support on Xbox.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Meeks
Evil Dead

Admittedly, I like the direction MS is taking things with this. I've purchased a few games thus far with support for Xbox Play Anywhere and it's great. Why has it taken this long to offer official support for KB&M on consoles? This is the primary reason my consoles sit, unused, collecting dust. More of this and more cross-platform support, please.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh gods... now if only they made Doom support it, made a new Quake and a new Unreal Tournament, all with mouse/kb on console... I'd be in heaven. I'm only interested in PC gaming if it has Xbox achievements. Otherwise it is dead to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Azzy
Cthulian

I think this might be the wrong game to intro it with, as it's about as clunky of an aim-assist required example of a series as could exist.
They have likely waited so long because the disparity between the skills of a PC player with a KM&M have been proven to far outstrip the thumbstickers on console. MS experimented with the cross plat with this not that long ago and it was pretty rough.
When a console finds itself with both fields of players you're likely to see a LOT of people who don't want to shell out the $$ suddenly finding Fortnite to be WAY less fun when they're getting their asses handed to them left and right.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Oh gods... now if only they made Doom support it, made a new Quake and a new Unreal Tournament, all with mouse/kb on console... I'd be in heaven. I'm only interested in PC gaming if it has Xbox achievements. Otherwise it is dead to me.
Steam has achievements, so does Uplay. What a silly reason to remain a console peasant.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #6
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Recently I have rearranged my gaming "Command Center." I have 2 4k monitors on my desk connected to my PC, and I have moved my PS4 Pro and XB1X to the desk area. This has led me to connect a kb/m to the Xbox, and it's pretty cool. It makes it feel at times like a little, decently powered PC. I have tried Fortnite and Warframe, and it works great, but it's also nice to use a keyboard with apps like youtube, twitch and Netflix.

Basically more options = more reasons I find to use the device.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 AM   #7
Juan
Evil Dead

Surely that's going to make the game less fun for pad players when they are at a big disadvantage? KB & Mouse has no place in the living room and for this reason, many players will never use that option, seems very unfair to essentially punish them.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #8
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Surely that's going to make the game less fun for pad players when they are at a big disadvantage? KB & Mouse has no place in the living room and for this reason, many players will never use that option, seems very unfair to essentially punish them.
This issue was already answered ages ago. There are servers/playlists that are for m/kb, and servers/playlists that are controller only. Game developers have the ability to choose if they want to allow m/kb in their games, it is not available across the board.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Stuff like this exists to help solve the "kb/m doesn't 'belong' in the living room" issue. My "computer chair" has been a recliner for the past eight years and I've been using a solution like this virtually the entire time. It works quite well, for me.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
This issue was already answered ages ago. There are servers/playlists that are for m/kb, and servers/playlists that are controller only. Game developers have the ability to choose if they want to allow m/kb in their games, it is not available across the board.
Cool then this is great news.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Supporting Mouse & Keyboard on a console smacks of more desperation from a company that just can't figure out why they aren't outselling the PlayStation.

Face it, no one is going to be sitting in their living room using a mouse & keyboard to play Gears of War 5. That just isn't how people play console games and it kinda defeats the entire purpose of having a console instead a PC.

MS just can't figure out why their "most powerful console ever made" isn't outselling the 5+ year old PlayStation 4.

It's because of the games idiots. You didn't invest in games and game companies and it is killing you. Buying up a lot of little 3rd rate developers probably isn't going to fix that either.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Supporting Mouse & Keyboard on a console smacks of more desperation from a company that just can't figure out why they aren't outselling the PlayStation.
KB/M support is something folks have been wanting for years; there's a reason why adapters have been on the market for quite a while.

Quote:
Face it, no one is going to be sitting in their living room using a mouse & keyboard to play Gears of War 5. That just isn't how people play console games and it kinda defeats the entire purpose of having a console instead a PC.
Would I use it for Gears of War? Probably not. Would I use it for an FPS? Most likely.

Based on your knuckleheaded opinion on Microsoft's Adaptive Controller (Disabled folks don't need to play games, right? Shoulda spent that money on making more games!), your opinion on controllers and how people want to play games is pretty irrelevant.

Quote:
MS just can't figure out why their "most powerful console ever made" isn't outselling the 5+ year old PlayStation 4.
The One X was launched in November 2017, a year after the PS4 Pro...which was the device it was intended to compete against. It was an upgrade to match (and in this case, exceed) a rival's upgrade from the year prior.

Quote:
It's because of the games idiots. You didn't invest in games and game companies and it is killing you. Buying up a lot of little 3rd rate developers probably isn't going to fix that either.
As usual, you're overstating the value of exclusives while ignoring the fact that, technically speaking, the One X would typically be the optimal platform for every other game that isn't published by (or exclusive to) Sony.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
technically speaking, the PC would typically be the optimal platform for every other game that isn't published by (or exclusive to) Sony.
Fixed that for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Fixed that for you.
Okay, it would be the optimal console platform.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Steam has achievements, so does Uplay. What a silly reason to remain a console peasant.
No I was a hardcore PC gamer decades ago. Quit cold turkey around 2005. Steam is not up to snuff because NO METASCORE. Playstation and Xbox have metascore/level. It makes me feel good to see my e-peen growing all the time, OK?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
No I was a hardcore PC gamer decades ago. Quit cold turkey around 2005. Steam is not up to snuff because NO METASCORE. Playstation and Xbox have metascore/level. It makes me feel good to see my e-peen growing all the time, OK?
Dude I'm with you. I love the achievement systems and metascore. I play some Microsoft games on PC via their "Play Anywhere" system, and it's cool to get the Xbox achievement sound while on PC. Steam has a "Steam Level" but I don't know how that one ranks up. I've always assumed it was based on how many games you own, but idk.

Point is, achievements rule, I love 'em!

Go Against the Flow.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

I actually agree with Evil here. All I can think about is "why not just release this game on PC along with console so I can play it with mouse and keyboard?". It's a feature i could really care less about. My living room isn't set up for mouse and keyboard anyway and I'm surely not buying extra furniture or hardware to do so. You know what room IS set up for mouse and keyboard? My office. In fact, I already have a mouse and keyboard in there!

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Still a lame reason sorry.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Dude I'm with you. I love the achievement systems and metascore. I play some Microsoft games on PC via their "Play Anywhere" system, and it's cool to get the Xbox achievement sound while on PC. Steam has a "Steam Level" but I don't know how that one ranks up. I've always assumed it was based on how many games you own, but idk.

Point is, achievements rule, I love 'em!
Only the low levels of steam are impacted by amount of games owned. After that you mostly can only level up by crafting badges out of the cards that drop while you play games. You only get a limited amount of care drops per game, so to get the right cards you need to craft a badge, you have to sell some of your cards on the steam market for steam wallet money, then used said money to buy the cards you need to craft a badge. You can also just trade with friends for the cards you need it they have what you need and are willing to part with them.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I actually agree with Evil here. All I can think about is "why not just release this game on PC along with console so I can play it with mouse and keyboard?". It's a feature i could really care less about. My living room isn't set up for mouse and keyboard anyway and I'm surely not buying extra furniture or hardware to do so. You know what room IS set up for mouse and keyboard? My office. In fact, I already have a mouse and keyboard in there!
I don't think spending $30-60 on a decent lap board is really all that big of a deal...but that's just me. I've been using stuff like that for the past eight years with my PC and it works just fine. I could see me tucking something like that away to be used for a console without any hassle at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Still a lame reason sorry.
Yeah...gotta agree with you on that one. Abandoning a platform because it doesn't support achievements or metascores the way you'd like is probably the dumbest reason possible.
Fake points that don't actually mean anything aren't all that important to me.

Tags
microsoft, mouse and keyboard, xb1, xbone, xbox