The Young Han Solo Movie...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 05:17 AM
23 Replies, 1,366 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo's new online service looks like it could be every bit as bad as you feared

Eurogamer: Nintendo's new online service looks like it could be every bit as bad as you feared

Quote:
Ever since it was first announced that a majority of the Switch's online services would be delivered via a companion app - key features to online gaming such as voice chat - there have been some concerns about how exactly it'd all work. And I'm sorry to report that, right now, it's a convoluted mess.

Splatoon 2 is currently the only game to support the app, and here's how you go about setting up a room for you and your friends. First, you'll need to head to the Online Lounge in Splatoon 2's multiplayer area. From there, you'll be prompted to create a room, and you can push a notification out to your phone. It's on your phone - and only on your phone, it would seem - that you can then invite friends into a room.

It's something of a faff, and it doesn't look like it'll be worth it - at present, you can only take part in private battles, and the voice chat itself seems extremely limited. Unlike with Skype, if you flick aside to another app on your phone, you'll lose the ability to talk to your friend. So, if you need to head to an IM client as I did, to figure out with a friend exactly how to make sense of it all, you're fresh out of luck.

You'll also need your phone screen on for that voice chat to remain connected - meaning it guzzles battery in the process. It's an almost aggressively limited service, and this is before we get into the mess of cables you'll need if you're going to want to play online with headphones in the Switch's handheld mode - something which it would seem is only possible with a separate splitter available elsewhere.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

What I find absolutely infuriating, beyond that the application does not run in the background (this is why you can't switch applications or turn off the screen), is that the voice chat only allows you to invite friends. There is no Lobby or Room for the match. So you have to be playing with friends for this option to be viable, which is damned ridiculous for a team based shooter.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Dont care. The Wiiu's online was good enough for me. It will be as good or better than that. I prolly wont fool with the app unless i can do some sort of grinding that will transfer to the console game.

Like petting or feeding my pocket monsters!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

I can't wait to see the old fat Japanese men wearing ugly suits bowing in apology before cutting off their earlobes for their failure to meet the expectations of the loyal Nintendo fans and customers.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

nintendo doesn't understand online gaming, what's new? I guess "adults" don't need online gaming lol
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
nintendo doesn't understand online gaming, what's new? I guess "adults" don't need online gaming lol
Pretty much this, just add it to the list of failures that continues to be Nintendo's strategy.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Pretty much this, just add it to the list of failures that continues to be Nintendo's strategy.
As a fan, their execution on everything outside of games is pretty bad.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Too bad. It's been 10+ years since Microsoft showed everyone how to do console multiplayer right and Nintendo still refuses to borrow from that simple model.

Even Sony, after bashing their heads against a few different implementations capitulated and copied.

This isn't Rocket Surgery. Heck, even if they copied Sony's first model (where the company had to run their own servers and services and even individual accounts per game after authenticating against PSN) they'd be years ahead of where they are now.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Nintendo likes to run a decade or two behind their major competitors in all the ways that matter.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Male Chauvinist
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
online multiplayer really is for kids with no life so no online gaming is not for adults.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch