Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:15 AM
10 Replies, 476 Views

Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo Just Dropped on PlayStation

Quote:
Be the First to Play Final Fantasy VII Remake in Playable Demo Available Today on PlayStation 4

In anticipation of the April 10th launch of Final Fantasy VII Remake, Squre Enix announced today that PlayStation owners across the globe can now get their hands on a playable demo for the game. Available to download now from the PlayStation Store, the demo allows players to experience first-hand the opening chapter from the game, and the events of the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission. In addition, those who download the demo before May 11, 2020 will also receive an exclusive PlayStation 4 theme when the full game launches next month.

In Final Fantasy VII Remake, players will be drawn into a world where the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation, controls the planet’s very life force. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche. The first game in the project is set in the city of Midgar, and is a fully standalone gaming experience designed for RPG players that crave unforgettable characters, a powerful story and the ability to choose their style of play with a battle system that merges thrilling real-time action with strategic, command-based combat.

Final Fantasy VII Remake will be available for the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system on April 10, 2020. The Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo is available to download now for the PlayStation 4 system at: sqex.link/FF7RDemo. For more information, visit: ffvii-remake.com.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I REALLY wish this was coming to PC.

*Edit

So, with the Playstation 5 scheduled for a 2020 Holiday release, I think it makes sense to wait on this. I mean, it'll be a launch title, right?

Last edited by brandonjclark; 03-02-2020 at 08:31 PM..
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:34 AM   #3
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

*Edit

So, with the Playstation 5 scheduled for a 2020 Holiday release, I think it makes sense to wait on this. I mean, it'll be a launch title, right?
I for one won't wait another half year for this. It's been FIVE YEARS since the announcement, dammit!!!

I played the demo yesterday, and it looks perfectly fine, just like you'd expect. The developers have - once more - done some nifty things with the transitions from video to real-time graphics.

It'll take me some time to get used to the action combat system, though. It's reminiscent of "Crisis Core"'s, but much more hectic due to the closer camera. There are three settings, but even the farthest didn't really help me get my bearings. I also found the ATB gauge management irritating: An offensive play style is rewarded, as attacks fill the (two) ATB bars, and you need those for EVERYTHING aside from attacking and defending. Magic? Special attacks? Healing potion? Phoenix Down? Hope you have filled the gauge beforehand! Also, you have to keep an eye on your other party members, because on the normal difficulty setting, they wait for your commands before they do any of the actions above. Well, I guess a bit of practice will go a long way...

Anyway, I suspect that seeing Aeris die with these kinds of graphics will be a much bigger tear-jerker than it was on the original PlayStation. I found Cloud's facial animation in the demo very impressive, and for once, the German voice overs didn't suck!
Old 03-03-2020, 05:15 AM   #4
Azrael
Evil Dead

Quote:

*Edit

At one point in time it was supposed to be coming to PC, then they backed off and now the question has been left hanging. I really hope it does as well otherwise i'm likely to get a PS4 for 1 game
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #5
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Demo was great. The new renditions of classic tracks was well done. It would be nice to be able to toggle to the old versions since I love them so much. I liked the way they updated everything. I am very curious how they are going to flesh the story in order to have this be multiple games and not feel like filler.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
At one point in time it was supposed to be coming to PC, then they backed off and now the question has been left hanging. I really hope it does as well otherwise i'm likely to get a PS4 for 1 game
They seem to have already bit off more than they can chew with this project. After FFXIV's spectacular failure at launch.... that it recovered is a miracle you don't see in gaming, and one of their biggest cash cows.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Cefca
Dread Lord

I'm waiting for the PC version. I've been waiting for so long... a little more won't kill me.
Cefca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
They seem to have already bit off more than they can chew with this project. After FFXIV's spectacular failure at launch.... that it recovered is a miracle you don't see in gaming, and one of their biggest cash cows.
Well it seems that their mistake with FFVII:R was that they initially didn't work on the game themselves and instead had outsourced the game to CyberConnect2 that blew it and then they had to it back in-house to try and salvage what they could and finish the game, essentially doubling the development time.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Well it seems that their mistake with FFVII:R was that they initially didn't work on the game themselves and instead had outsourced the game to CyberConnect2 that blew it and then they had to it back in-house to try and salvage what they could and finish the game, essentially doubling the development time.
So if I've played neither and I wanted to get into either 14 or 15, which is currently the better product?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:27 AM   #10
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
So if I've played neither and I wanted to get into either 14 or 15, which is currently the better product?
Not sure if this is a serious question, but in case it is: "Final Fantasy XIV" is an MMORPG, "Final Fantasy XV" a JRPG with action-heavy combat, so if you prefer one genre over the other, the choice should be clear.

Personally, I think that both games are pretty good at what they do. FF14 had a lot of positive feedback after the relaunch, and it has had several expansions over the years. FF15 is a divisive game, with its modern-ish setting and the too-cool-for-school emo (especially at the start) protagonists. I stopped playing it after about 10 hours, but I definitely intend to return to the game some day. Square Enix experimented with a lot of different additions, too. There was an animated feature film ("Kingsglaive"), a series of short animé episodes ("Brotherhood"), a multiplayer mode (might be free-to-play or disbanded these days, no idea), a free (and crappy) retro brawler ("A King's Tale") and even a VR fishing DLC ("Monster of the Deep"). SE also released a chibi remake of sorts ("FFXV Pocket Edition HD").

It seems FF15 is currently on sale in the PlayStation Store worldwide (USD 17.49 is a great deal for the Royal Edition, in my opinion).

Last edited by Scherge; 03-04-2020 at 01:39 AM..
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy vii