Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:15 AM
10 Replies, 484 Views

Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

People are discovering Twitch to get their sports fix. That social gaming takes place online. I hope everyone can stay healthy out there. What are you playing this weekend?
Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

This weekend is reserved for Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing. Two games that couldn't be further from each other in terms of design, but you know what? They're both amazing!
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #3
Azrael
Evil Dead

Played some HOTS with friends... Still love that game.

On the fence about picking up Doom Eternal. I'll play it eventually, just do i wanna pay the premium right now.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Probably a little Animal Crossing and a fair amount of Destiny 1.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
walstib
Evil Dead

picking up all the Thief games off gog since they are dirt cheap. i loved the first two but never got around to the third. fun to complete missions with zero kills and 100% loot

otherwise still enjoying The Outer Worlds
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 AM   #6
Booda
Beam another Blast

Doom Eternal & some Div2.

Figured Iíd just go ahead & start my play through of DoomE on Ultra Violence mode. Although manageable, itís taking me to the wood shed pretty early in a few sections already.

This outing of Doom really has you moving & shaking. If you stand still or just try to circle strafe the enemies, youíre dead. Also ammo seems pretty limited this time around. Youíll be switching up weapons non stop as opposed to just using your favorite 1/2 weapon combo. At least thatís my impression right out of the gate.

I loved Doom 2016 (still do) & DoomE seems to improve the formula in all the right ways so far.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I currently trying to win a bid on ebay for an Atari 800 computer system, and my cassette deck for my Commodore 64 should arrive today.

On a side note I've been exploring the SID chip. I love our hobby so much. We can play games, mod software, mod/build hardware, and let our imaginations run wild.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I currently trying to win a bid on ebay for an Atari 800 computer system, and my cassette deck for my Commodore 64 should arrive today.

On a side note I've been exploring the SID chip. I love our hobby so much. We can play games, mod software, mod/build hardware, and let our imaginations run wild.
You remind me somewhere in my basement is my old Atari 800XL and Atari 130XE; have the old tablet+pen, and a 1050 disk drive. Lots of carts and floppy disks full of games. Wonder if they still work?

It's been a long while, but the Atari 800XL is what led to my career as a software engineer. fond memories - my nerd friends and I were in constant battle with the "commies". i still think we had the better sound chip (4 voice), but commodore had the better graphics (not substantially so) for certain. Even back then we waged wars over who had the best kit. People love the SID chip. may have to re-watch some of the 8-bit guy on YouTube again to see what all the fuss is about
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I started playing DOOM Eternal last night, what a colossal disappointment. The platforming jumping puzzle stuff is just an annoying addition to what could have been a great game.

The ammo isn’t really all that limited, you just need to chainsaw the low level zombies all the time to restock.

I’m not playing on the Ultra Violence. I did that in the last game and it made for some really difficult spots that were frustrating.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post

Iím still waiting for the full-sized C64 Mini. It is out in the UK and I could import one, but I guess it is coming to the USA soon, so I will wait it out a bit longer. Plus, I still need to set up GeOS and GeOWrite on an emulator to make sure that Iím happy with using it for my fiction writing.

I did a ton of story writing on the C64 in high school so I kinda wanted to set it up on the Mini for that retro writing feel to it. Iíve got a little square monitor in the closet that might work on the Mini with an adapter.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

All my kids are playing Animal Crossing right now. But after work I'll be doing some Age of Wonders PlanetFall. Maybe some LoTRO.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
ascl
Developer

Doom Eternal mainly although I do want to keep playing Days Gone. Doom Eternal I started on Ultra-Violence, but ended up re-starting on hurt me plenty. I finished the 2016 one on Ultra-Violence but seemed to be struggling a bit with this one, so rather than give up in frustration, dialed it back.
I have to admit I'm not convinced. It adds a LOT of complexity, both in terms of platforming (jumping, swinging, climbing) and combat. I loved the simplicity of 2016 Doom. You, a shotgun, many mobs. That said, the maps are pretty stunning, with lots of verticality, which looks impressive. Hmm, it just doesn't feel as fast as 2016 doom?
Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the purchase, just feels like it was a bit over-hyped.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Iím still waiting for the full-sized C64 Mini. It is out in the UK and I could import one, but I guess it is coming to the USA soon, so I will wait it out a bit longer. Plus, I still need to set up GeOS and GeOWrite on an emulator to make sure that Iím happy with using it for my fiction writing.

I did a ton of story writing on the C64 in high school so I kinda wanted to set it up on the Mini for that retro writing feel to it. Iíve got a little square monitor in the closet that might work on the Mini with an adapter.
I tried firing up the C-64 you sent me. The screen comes up, but has an error code, and odd graphic effects... My C-64 sadly died today When I power up I get nothing. Just fuzz on the old TV, and no signal when hooked up to a new TV via RCA jacks.

I continue to mess with the SID in the winVICE emulator. If anyone wants to donate old 8 and 16bit computers let me know
Old 03-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
You remind me somewhere in my basement is my old Atari 800XL and Atari 130XE; have the old tablet+pen, and a 1050 disk drive. Lots of carts and floppy disks full of games. Wonder if they still work?

It's been a long while, but the Atari 800XL is what led to my career as a software engineer. fond memories - my nerd friends and I were in constant battle with the "commies". i still think we had the better sound chip (4 voice), but commodore had the better graphics (not substantially so) for certain. Even back then we waged wars over who had the best kit. People love the SID chip. may have to re-watch some of the 8-bit guy on YouTube again to see what all the fuss is about
That's awesome man. I remember doing the same thing back in the day as well. My best friend had an Apple IIc, and another close friend had an Atari 800, VIC 20 and a Commodore 64. I had the C-64, and always felt bad for my friend with the Apple IIc. I did miss out on having a copy of The Oregon Trail though, and he was always kind enough to let me play it at his house.

As for sound the PoKEY and the SID; they are very close, and a good sound programmer can make either one of those chips really sing. I miss the good old days when each computer, and console had it's own unique sound, and color pallet. Like you and your Atari, the C-64 is why I was once a software engineer too.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I picked up Siege of Centuri from a sale on Steam. It's a tower defense game made by the same company that did Sins of a Solar Empire and Ashes of Singularity RTS (it's in the same universe as Ashes).

I may play some SWTOR too or Outer Worlds.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:39 AM   #16
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Destiny 2, Division 2, Path of Exile for video games. Had our regular D&D session on Saturday. And we're doing a one shot later today.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Destiny 2, Division 2, Path of Exile for video games. Had our regular D&D session on Saturday. And we're doing a one shot later today.
That doesn't sound like good social distancing to me. Unless you're doing it over Skype or Discord or something. In which case...

vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #18
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That doesn't sound like good social distancing to me. Unless you're doing it over Skype or Discord or something. In which case...

lol

It really isn't. But we have 3 I.T. people that work from home, an instructor from Fullsail(not working), a guy on disability due to back damage from military service(not working), a hair stylist(not working), a pharmacist from a Walgreens call center and an office worker from a construction company(not working). So none of our daily lives give us a lot of exposure. I'm the only one with kids and they are both adults.

We do have the capability of playing remote though. i run a game on Tuesday nights for some friends back in Michigan. We use https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php for the tabletop client and discord for voice coms. In previous sessions we've used the video calling feature of discord to pretty good effect as well.