Full Throttle Remastered...
Last post by AlfredT
Yesterday 09:16 PM
4 Replies, 212 Views

Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Share your collection

Do you have something rare or just fun you would like to share? It could be music, a signed baseball bat, or just something unique that you have a fond memory of. Lately more and more of us are discussing the golden age of gaming and how great the good old days were. Take some pictures or video of your collection and share it with the rest of the site.

I'll start off this thread with an original Zaxxon mini-cabinet. (Gerstmann eat your heart out) Unearthed and one of the few toys that survived those days, it still works perfectly and by some miracle I didn't leave batteries in it.

Lets see 83 hmm, I would have been 5 turning 6. Perfect time to get into games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

That's an awesome piece! I used to have a TON of those little mini-cabs: Pac Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong, as well as tons of other handhelds. Some of them are probably still in storage somewhere at my parents house; I should really go on an expedition and see what I can dig out.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Ok, it's not much, but this is an OLD handheld game that I keep in my office because of all the memories I have from it:

It's one of the earliest consumer-level number guessing electronic games (from 1977). You had to figure out a random 5 digit number in a limited number of guesses. Lord only knows how many miles of roadtrips this thing got me through.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

You are oldschool.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
You are oldschool.
Gzsfrk once played Pacman on a slide-rule! :P
Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Gzsfrk once played Pacman on a slide-rule! :P
Not quite, but I DID learn to make a papercraft PacMan when I was in second grade and used to make it run around my desk eating up little paper balls. In fact, I wonder if I can still remember how to make those...

Yep--I still got it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

Just wait till you have to explain to your grandchildren what "paper" is >_>
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I have a bunch of rare video game stuff, but my two favorite things are probably my E3 2005 Xbox face plate that you could only get by going to to the big show in LA. And then my really rare Ico birdcage.

From my music collection, I think my most rare item is a promo only blue vinyl 45 inch record from the band Kyuss, which was the band that eventually became Queens of the Stone Age. I got it from the local distributor while working at a record store in the early 90's.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Here's a link to a video where I show some of my favorite vinyl albums, including KISS's Lovegun album with the paper lovegun still inside. How cheesy is that!?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

8:00 on 2nd vid is the birdcage.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
[CENTER]...and by some miracle I didn't leave batteries in it.
That is the untold truth about collecting vintage electronic toys, isn't it? I can't count the times I have pulled something out of a box years later, only to discover I left the batteries in it and now they are all foamy and gross.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
That is the untold truth about collecting vintage electronic toys, isn't it? I can't count the times I have pulled something out of a box years later, only to discover I left the batteries in it and now they are all foamy and gross.
I've got this in the basement but the batteries were not kind to it.

Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
There are 6 main attractions in the theme park, they must be solved in a linear order, and before you can claim your prize you must fight 1 of 3 final bosses (your choice, luckily). Each attraction is based on a horror B-movie produced by the theme park's owner, Michael Reynolds. So for each attraction, you get a different story that unfolds as you explore the stage, and the mood is different between the stages, too. In fact, you get to assume diffferent roles in some of these stages, literally putting you right in the lead character's skin, including what appears to be an adult version of Toy Story (wink, wink). This shows off the game engine's adaptability to create an entirely different game and the developer's imagination. Some stages are also set up so you need to solve it differently than what you learned to solve the previous stage. The game's developer really went out of their way to make this a varied experience that's always fun. The music is also fitting and create the appropriate mood for each stage.

Battle is inevitable as most stages end with a boss fight, and while exploring, you are more than likely to encounter some grotesque creatures that would love to inflict bodily harm on you. The battle system is pretty straightforward, and much easier than what has evolved in the Resident Evil series. I think those who complained about it were expecting something they are used to and did not give the game's system a fair chance. This game has a steep learning curve, which you probably won't get 100% until stage 3, and many of these negative game reviewers probably did not even manage to clear the first stage. I spent the first night working on the first stage (the in-game tutorial isn't the greatest, thank goodness for Internet FAQs) while learning the ropes. By the 2nd and 3rd night the game becomes extremely addictive as the game's controls become second nature. You'll probably want to have a backup controller on standby - I wore one out because the game gets extremely intense sometimes.

This game has certainly earned its "Mature" rating - blood gushes by gallons, the blood and gore is really over the top, makes the creatures and blood factor in Resident Evil look tame by comparison. The lead character, Eriko, will also gradually lose her clothes if she fails to rescue her friends (it's possible to clear the stages while letting your friends die), giving you plenty of incentive to replay the game using just her and letting all her friends die (there are at least 3 different endings and to see one of them you have to do exactly that). ^_^ This is certainly not a game for little kids - some of the stuff in the game can be quite disturbing, like some realistically rendered creatures, suggestive themes and atmosphere, which were enhanced/heightened by the mostly ambient background music and sound effects. If you are a horror movie fan and love the B-movies' tongue-in-cheek style of humor, chances are you will love this game. It's kind of sad, but if this game came out a year earlier than it did, it just might have saved the Dreamcast from being canned by Sega.
Damn this game is worth 100$ now. I share with you this weekend, one of my most prized games for the Dreamcast Entertainment System.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
spdiscus
Evil Dead

I can only think of two interesting items in my collection.
1) Original Planescape: Torment release with poster (framed and in my office).
2) Zork for AppleII with box and good-condition Encyclopedia Frobozzica.

Other than that I tend to give games to friends when I'm done with them.
spdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
lockwoodx
Photobomber

this coming weekend will be a rare PS1 title.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
Tintivilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I have a bunch of rare video game stuff, but my two favorite things are probably my E3 2005 Xbox face plate that you could only get by going to to the big show in LA. And then my really rare Ico birdcage.

From my music collection, I think my most rare item is a promo only blue vinyl 45 inch record from the band Kyuss, which was the band that eventually became Queens of the Stone Age. I got it from the local distributor while working at a record store in the early 90's.
Kyuss rules, though the only song I can remember by heart is Demon Cleaner, and Keenan sung it ;p
Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
lockwoodx
Photobomber

The weekend is here and it's time for collection sharing. Ok, I lied about the PS1 title because I'm still looking for the box lol. Instead here are some gems from the Sega Saturn!

edit: check out the bump mapping on that Dragon Force cover. lol jk, the game's booklet was one of those high quality metallic jackets so the letters in SEGA SATURN really are raised. This is honestly the best comparison I've ever seen made if you were thinking on PC terms. Looking at the 2d cover of Guardian Heros is like looking at a console today, while looking at the Dragon Force cover looks like how PC games look today. It's that extra shiny/raised detail that really grabs us.
Quote:

Last edited by lockwoodx; 05-29-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Guardian Heroes is still some epic good fun. Got it sitting in my Saturn right now, in fact. May get in some play time before the holiday weekend comes to a close.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Guardian Heroes is still some epic good fun. Got it sitting in my Saturn right now, in fact. May get in some play time before the holiday weekend comes to a close.
I heard there is an HD remake of Guardian Heroes coming to Xbox Live Arcade... I'll have to check it out then since I don't have a Saturn...yet.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
LoTECH
Evil Dead

I love this community. There is some awesome stuff here.
(Sigh...) one day

Tags
awsomesauce, collection, gzsfrk man cave toys, ldub's stash, sharing is caring, the precious, vault