Last post by Terran
Today 02:05 PM
14 Replies, 896 Views

Old 11-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #21
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah that's pretty lame. It's just kind of being shifty for the sake of it. Not much pisses me off more. "It's my event" - oh, brother. Hope the rest of it was good anyway.
It was cool to go there once but once was enough. Iím too old for these types of cons I think. I felt kind of out of place there. Still it was cool to see and play some games before they were out. I tried to play Overwatch when I was there but the lines were regularly at their limit. We got some decent stuff though... t-shirtís, posters, lanyards, etc.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #22
steved
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I think you guys are all missing the point.E3 is becoming less important. E3 costs time and money With little benifit .
Prob this.

You can hype your game all year long on the internet. You don't need an overhyped, expensive trade show. As I'm not physically attending E3 anyway, I don't give a rats ass whether some press conference is broadcast "live from E3" or from some dumpster in Timbuktu.

Worst part of those E3 shows is the imbecile, cheering crowd. Going "yeah - wow - wheee" at every shit thrown at them. Feels like 95% of the audience is paid.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Prob this.

You can hype your game all year long on the internet. You don't need an overhyped, expensive trade show. As I'm not physically attending E3 anyway, I don't give a rats ass whether some press conference is broadcast "live from E3" or from some dumpster in Timbuktu.

Worst part of those E3 shows is the imbecile, cheering crowd. Going "yeah - wow - wheee" at every shit thrown at them. Feels like 95% of the audience is paid.
Most of those people are paid. The show is for retailers to see what the next big thing will supposedly be. If they see crowds cheering they see dollar signs. Sony skipping E3 probably means they are done with the current generation and aren't quite ready to reveal what's coming.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I think you guys are all missing the point.E3 is becoming less important. E3 costs time and money With little benifit . Sony as a company isn't doing great outside of PlayStation.

Nothing stopping Sony from just doing a Nintendo direct type of thing. Which would be cheaper. Plus what are they gonna show ? Half the same games they showed in 2018?
This move doesn't really have to mean much for PS5 whenever that drops.
I think their reasoning is likely twofold. Evil's guess about the PS5 for 2020 is probably pretty accurate and most of their offerings for 2019 have already been showcased pretty heavily over the past couple of years.

Plus, I'd be surprised if they haven't see how effective and successful Nintendo Direct has been. The media that covers this sort of stuff basically drops whatever it is they're doing when a Direct goes live; you can't pay for the sort of exposure and coverage they get with many of their Directs, especially if people are anticipating a bigger announcement.

E3 has been growing increasingly irrelevant with each passing year, especially since it's so much easier to interact with your audience directly now. in 1998, it was absolutely necessary. In 2018, it's more of a dinosaur.

Tags
playstation, sony