Last post by MavenACTG
Yesterday 07:53 AM
12 Replies, 1,060 Views

Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Apex Legends Revenue Has Fallen 75% Since Launch

Quote:
Apex Legends was once thought to be the first real potential Fortnite-killer, yet the more time goes on, the more Apex seems to be settling into being a less world-dominating sort of release.

It may have amassed more players in a shorter amount of time than any game in history, but the huge revenue numbers it was pulling in for EA at launch have fallen sharply in the last few months as players have moved on or refused to purchase one of the endless number of microtransactions that pepper the game.

Superdata is reporting that Apex Legends has fallen out of the top ten charts on both PC and console in terms of revenue, which is down to a quarter of what it was in the game’s launch month of February.

This is not the pattern we have seen with other megahits, as games like PUBG or Fortnite or Pokémon GO all saw their revenue ramp up over time, and even if they peaked, they didn’t exactly come crashing down this hard or this fast. And while there is some debate about whether or not Twitch viewership signals the health of the game, we have seen similarly huge drops for Apex in that realm as well, which seems to reinforce the idea that yes, that metric does indeed mean something.
Forbes.

Thanks, Booda.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

We are DOOMED to more F2P flash in the pan get rich quick junk like this.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

There's not a lot of room out there for multiple versions of this game type out there. They just don't have a lot of substance and there's a lot of repetitiveness. If these games were to add other game modes that include campaign with coop missions, coop options with bots, etc. then maybe me personally would be more interested.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
wunshot
Subscriber

This is a really fun game, but there were just too many other games I wanted to play since its release like Division 2 and Seirko.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Chief Smash
Subscriber

It was never going to be the next Fortnite because it was never going to appeal to young kids to the point where they were buying Apex shirts in Walmart. People can mock Fortnite but it does have a very wide appeal. I know adults who enjoy it and of course, tons of kids as well. Also, by all accounts Apex plays very well but in a character based shooter, it helps to have a lot of well designed characters. Not a single one really appealed to me at all.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Just a matter of time now before they shut 'er down. Bets on whether it's this year or next? I say...this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Too bad for Respawn but I expect they made a lot of money (and 25% of a SHIT TON is still a lot).

They could have tried to pump out the content for it but it could be their whole approach of melding Overwatch "class based" gameplay with Battle Royale was the fatal flaw. Fortnite just needs to crank out cosmetics and every 3 or 4 months do an overarching event with whatever content updates (guns, whatever).

When you do classes you have a hell of a lot more work in content creation, balancing, design, VO, animations, and blah blah blah, overhead.

At least they didn't ramp their team to 700 people like some other companies have done in an effort to prop the game up and nearly bankrupt the company, or two companies (Hi2U Daybreak and NatG!).

I used some connections to hook up some friends kids with Dev team only Fortnite swag for their birthdays last year. It made them instant mini-celebs at their schools. Was super helpful for one little girl cause she was hitting her freshman year in High School which is the WORST transition to make. She was popular with all the right people out of the gate.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Who saw this coming?

Oh yea, I did. That's right.

What a shame. I think that doing some kind of a Titanfall based Battle Royale might have been a neat idea, but doing another generic Battle Royale was always kinda doomed. Double that if you don't support it like AT ALL.

The fact that they have done almost nothing since launch is pretty much what killed it here, not the gameplay.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

for all the progression issues and whatnot, the biggest problem I have with this game is the horrible netcode. Noreg obvious hits are the norm, which makes it feel awful to play.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Who saw this coming?

Oh yea, I did. That's right.

What a shame. I think that doing some kind of a Titanfall based Battle Royale might have been a neat idea, but doing another generic Battle Royale was always kinda doomed. Double that if you don't support it like AT ALL.

The fact that they have done almost nothing since launch is pretty much what killed it here, not the gameplay.
Battle Royale is not what makes Fortnite popular. Battle Royale itself is a bullshit short lived game mode. EA is probably just now starting to figure that out. Fortnite is huge because it's a combination of Facebook & Amazon packaged up as a scavenger hunt. There is no real game people are playing. It’s a social area with a ‘to do list’ that players consumers are paying for. The reason Epic is cranking out new content ‘to do lists’ so quickly is because they know their average consumer has the attention span of a fucking gnat.

Horrible "game" with an absolutely brilliant (predatory) business model.

Your average Fortnite consumer.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Booda
Beam another Blast

Limited-Time Event Coming Next Week Plus First Season 2 Battle Pass Details

Quote:
While we don’t want to introduce wacky challenges that drastically warp the way you play the game, these challenges should provide some interesting variation from game-to-game.
Nope... EA/Respawn still doesn't get it.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
Booda
Beam another Blast

Relevant.

Link to pic.

Last edited by Booda; 06-04-2019 at 02:27 PM..