Yesterday 09:30 PM
18,093 Replies, 2,767,488 Views

Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

System Shock Remastered Put on Hold

Quote:
Sometimes You Need to Take a Step Back in Order to Take Two Steps Forward

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we donít regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

- Stephen Kick
Kickstarter Update
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sounds like a lot of Kickstarter supporters just got screwed.

Along those lines, people who have been supporting us via Patreon will get their loot boxes in June/July when we hit our 20th anniversary. It will include the Polo shirts with the embroidered EvAv logo.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Mondopest
Evil Dead

This is a bummer, not only for the backers who just got hosed, but also for gamers in general. Their demo level was well-constructed and I looked forward to the finished product. Seems like this failed on a project management level more than anything else. Talk about throwing away a money printing machine. Had they done this right, they would have almost been guaranteed a sequel and work for years to come.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Scamstarter...talk about gambling.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Scamstarter...talk about gambling.
At first I quickly glanced at the text, missing the headline, and was expecting it to be from Chris Roberts.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
At first I quickly glanced at the text, missing the headline, and was expecting it to be from Chris Roberts.
Shhh. Chris may decide to use all those graphics artist resources and cut a deal with scamstarters to gen up a fantastic looking demo. 33% of the take for putting together a smooth looking demo after they do the dog&pony and take the heat for the game failure.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

If there's a silver lining they plan on releasing the source codes. To think they could have dragged this thing along another decade by selling space ship jpegs.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
thatlukeguy
Soul Reaper

"Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled."

NEXT!
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

A kickstarter not on schedule? Well I am shocked! ...System.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
Cranium
Reaper

I did think their stretch goals looked a little hybristic. Orchestral score? I'd spend the dosh on additional playtesting, but of course that don't generate hype like VR and violins.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #11
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

The Unity to Unreal switch is a real good tell. One of my projects did a similar thing and while it would make certain parts of the game just work better, it screwed up a ton of development time that could have been used to refine the game instead.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

It's a shame they were unable to recognize things were going off rails when they starting shifting from a remaster to an entirely new game. People paid them to support and receive a remaster, not whatever the hell they decided to turn the project into.

I've only backed a handful of Kickstarters and most of them (like Exploding Kittens) easily fell into the "Too Big To Fail" category. The riskiest one I've backed was Mutant Football League.

Its stuff like this that makes me extremely hesitant to back anything.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's a shame they were unable to recognize things were going off rails when they starting shifting from a remaster to an entirely new game. People paid them to support and receive a remaster, not whatever the hell they decided to turn the project into.

I've only backed a handful of Kickstarters and most of them (like Exploding Kittens) easily fell into the "Too Big To Fail" category. The riskiest one I've backed was Mutant Football League.

Its stuff like this that makes me extremely hesitant to back anything.
I don't know how Mutant Football League was during BETA stages, but in it's release iteration on Steam it seems pretty great. It has "Very Positive" marks, and I played the demo on Steam and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Blitz of course, with some nice twists.

It's on my wishlist. What do you think of the full game? Worth it?

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I don't know how Mutant Football League was during BETA stages, but in it's release iteration on Steam it seems pretty great. It has "Very Positive" marks, and I played the demo on Steam and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Blitz of course, with some nice twists.

It's on my wishlist. What do you think of the full game? Worth it?
It's fun but doesn't feel quite as polished as any given Madden title for obvious reasons. Overall, it's a good football game that doesn't take itself too seriously while still delivering a solid football experience.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I regret the majority of the Kickstarters I supported. Funded a dozen and never again. That fad is over. My last one was The Bard's Tale.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

On the other hand, Pillars of Eternity 2 I did back, and that is delivering in a big way.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The only one I kind of regret backing was Torment: Tides of Numenera. It's not that the game is bad, I just haven't been motivated to play more than a couple hours since release. Last time I got past the beginning areas then reinstalled Planescape and forgot about it for a year.

I was on the fence about Carmageddon Reincarnation until several months after launch when they made it playable on something other than NASA supercomputers. Very fun game and delivered what I wanted. Sadly the community burned out before restoring some of the glory of the Carmageddon 2 years. We're never going to see the late 90s again so why hold my breath. Also the developer completely botched physical rewards and as far as I know haven't sent a single thing out to anybody.

Loved Wasteland 2 and appreciated the free Directors Cut version. Didn't back Wasteland 3 because it sounds like a disaster in the making.

I wish I backed Elite Dangerous. Out of all the Kickstarted games that is the one I invested the most time. Even bought a new HOTAS for it because I'm hooked. They drag their feet adding and adjusting content, but at least it exists and delivers what I'm looking for in a space sim.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The only thing I backed was the Ouya and I never used it and sold it for half what I paid. So, I tend to stay away from these. It was nice that I got the hardware, but there was never any software to support it.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Scamstarter has always been like a lottery in that it extracts money from gullible dupes.

Any system that treats investors like consumers and gets away with it is genius for the owners who get to keep undiluted ownership while guaranteeing nothing much beyond baubles and doodads.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The only one I kind of regret backing was Torment: Tides of Numenera. It's not that the game is bad, I just haven't been motivated to play more than a couple hours since release. Last time I got past the beginning areas then reinstalled Planescape and forgot about it for a year.
Love me some CRPGs. I have Tides, but I've only played about 20 minutes in. It felt really slow, even by CRPG standards.

Did you like Divinity Original Sin 2? I loved that game. It was one of my favorite games of the year.

I still haven't gotten into Pillars of Eternity. It's on my library but I really need some free time in front of me.

All in all though, it's a pretty good time for CRPGs.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
system shock