Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Shooting the SCAR in...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:58 PM
11 Replies, 786 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 06:42 PM
1,706 Replies, 185,721 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:21 PM
18,092 Replies, 2,766,598 Views
CD Projekt Red Confirms...
Last post by LostToys
Today 04:38 PM
11 Replies, 984 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:34 PM
10 Replies, 679 Views
Wild West Knockout...
Last post by HillTribe
Today 10:23 AM
10 Replies, 791 Views
Pure Evil - Incredible...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:37 AM
22 Replies, 972 Views
Ace Combat 7's E3...
Last post by brandonjclark
Today 07:22 AM
2 Replies, 411 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 30,946
Blog Entries: 58
Eugen Systems Employees on Strike


GamesIndustry.biz is reporting that almost half of French strategy game maker Eugen Systems' (R.U.S.E., Wargame, Act of Aggression, Steel Division: Normandy 44) developers have walked out claiming labor law violations.

Quote:
A group of developers at French strategy specialist Eugen Systems has gone on strike. The studio behind Steel Division: Normandy 44 and the Wargame franchise has confirmed that 21 of its 44 employees walked out yesterday afternoon.

According to a post by the striking employees on the website of Le Syndicat des Travailleurs et Travailleuses du Jeu Vidéo, the strike comes after more than a year of problems with management. In particular, the developers allege that Eugen has run afoul of minimum wage laws, neglected to compensate developers for overtime, and refused to recognize contractual obligations with some employees.

Eugen posted a response on its website, saying it respects minimum wage laws and made corrections to payslips on occasions when it was necessary. It did acknowledge an issue with its recent payslips going out late, but attributed the delay to complications caused by recent legislative reforms. It also rejected the suggestion that Eugen employed a crunch culture, saying it once asked three employees to work a Saturday in 2010 to ensure a title's smooth launch, but hasn't done so again.

The strike began a day after Eugen released Back to Hell, the latest expansion of its World War II real-time strategy game Steel Division: Normandy 44.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 30,946
Blog Entries: 58
Quote:
It also rejected the suggestion that Eugen employed a crunch culture, saying it once asked three employees to work a Saturday in 2010 to ensure a title's smooth launch, but hasn't done so again.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,303
France has pretty strict workplace rules, which gives employees a lot of leverage. On the other hand, if the employees felt they had a solid case I think they'd have used the power of the bureaucracy to enforce what they felt due, so their walkout makes their case seem weaker.

WTF do I know. No idea. I just love the pic in the post above.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 6,855
I worked with a French company once where a producer didn't show up for work, with no explaination, for months. We had no idea where she went.

When she did finally come back rather than firing her she threatened to "turn them in" for making her work more than 36 hours a week during some specific period of time so instead of kicking her ass to the curb they let her keep the several months of pay she'd collected AND gave her a huge pay out to leave the company and not sue them.

It was cheaper in the long run than dealing with her bullshit and the French labor bureaucracy.

No matter what happens these people who walked out are going to get what they want. Even if the company decides this is the move which ends up bankrupting them and they have to shut their doors the FIRST THING that will happen is the government will step in to make sure the employees get their pay. Any possible hint the company may have been in breech of the law and the company is toast.

And, BTW, this isn't just in France. You see this to a lesser degree all over the EU. As someone who works till the job gets done right I am disgusted by this sort of behavior and coddling you see in the French labor laws.

But if the company is actually up to no good and not paying their people properly then I'm glad people are willing to bring attention to it. There are a lot of places all too willing to take advantage of people.

But in France I tend to default to the side of the employer due to my past experience with their employees self-entitled positions.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post

After putting in a 67-hour workweek, lol.
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
DingBat
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
But in France I tend to default to the side of the employer due to my past experience with their employees self-entitled positions.
Not that I really want to get into the middle of this but...

I really do wish people would stop using the word "entitled". It's not entitled to look out for your own best interests. If it were, then every corporation and government in the world would be "entitled".

People in the US look at the work environment in Europe and say "entitled". People in Europe look at the work environment in the US and say "stupid". It all boils down to whether or not the it works: is the company making money and are the employees happy?

Personally, I look at the amount of vacation the average American gets with absolute horror.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Skunk
Evil Dead
 
Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Personally, I look at the amount of vacation the average American gets with absolute horror.
Gotta crush souls if you wanna be on top.

The universe is a hard place. If we took vacations like France, we wouldn't be able to pay for for the decades-long security umbrella we gave them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
This is EvAv man, the Mos Eisley of gaming sites.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Scherge
Subscriber
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
If we took vacations like France, [...]
I'm not up to date on American business practices... How many days of vacation DO you get? Paid or unpaid? In Germany, it mostly seems 30 days of paid vacation per year in a full-time job.
__________________
“Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint!” - Me(phistopheles)
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'm not up to date on American business practices... How many days of vacation DO you get? Paid or unpaid? In Germany, it mostly seems 30 days of paid vacation per year in a full-time job.
It really depends upon the employer and what they want to offer. There's no legal requirement to even offer vacation time, so most of us are in the situation of taking what we can get.

For the average full-time American worker, they can get upwards of 15-20 days after putting in a few years with a company.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,303
I have fourteen+ weeks of vacation each year Stateside. Not moving to Europe any time soon where your wonderful Mediterranean beaches are landing locations for your future rulers.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I have fourteen+ weeks of vacation each year Stateside. Not moving to Europe any time soon where your wonderful Mediterranean beaches are landing locations for your future rulers.
In my experience, I've never had a job with even close to that much vacation time.

Though I do find, generally speaking, that as you get closer to the middle class and up, the benefits such as how much paid vacation time you get increases.

It's the particularly shitty and soul crushing jobs that go a step further and give as very little paid time off as possible.

Compared to your 14 weeks, I get about 5 weeks total with 3 weeks given to me to float anywhere (and only because I have 6+ years of seniority - otherwise I'd get 2 weeks to float) and an additional 2 weeks given as company holidays through out the year. I think I'm still on the high side as far as paid vacation goes. It's definitely the most paid vacation I've ever had.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-18-2018 at 12:37 PM..
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I have fourteen+ weeks of vacation each year Stateside. Not moving to Europe any time soon where your wonderful Mediterranean beaches are landing locations for your future rulers.
Aren't you a teacher? I'm pretty sure I remember you mentioning you were a teacher, which would explain all of the vacation time.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,303
I'm seasonally employed.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 6,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I worked with a French company once where a producer didn't show up for work, with no explaination, for months. We had no idea where she went.

When she did finally come back rather than firing her she threatened to "turn them in" for making her work more than 36 hours a week during some specific period of time so instead of kicking her ass to the curb they let her keep the several months of pay she'd collected AND gave her a huge pay out to leave the company and not sue them.

It was cheaper in the long run than dealing with her bullshit and the French labor bureaucracy.

No matter what happens these people who walked out are going to get what they want. Even if the company decides this is the move which ends up bankrupting them and they have to shut their doors the FIRST THING that will happen is the government will step in to make sure the employees get their pay. Any possible hint the company may have been in breech of the law and the company is toast.

And, BTW, this isn't just in France. You see this to a lesser degree all over the EU. As someone who works till the job gets done right I am disgusted by this sort of behavior and coddling you see in the French labor laws.

But if the company is actually up to no good and not paying their people properly then I'm glad people are willing to bring attention to it. There are a lot of places all too willing to take advantage of people.

But in France I tend to default to the side of the employer due to my past experience with their employees self-entitled positions.

So in essence, you are saying that the entirety of the EU deserves to be overrun by 3rd hordes because they are giant pussies? I agree.

Yeah no, im all for not letting the robber barrons take hold like they have in america but to not show up to work for months and get back pacy is crazy. She should have been kicked to the curb, no back pay, of course.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I'm seasonally employed.
You work for the state! Or you work for one of those dens of progressivism, a university! How could you?!?!?!

I get 28 days per year plus I can carry over 5 to the next year if I save them. I wouldn't say it's fantastic when you consider that this is my vacation and sick time combined but it does get me through the year pretty well, especially if I don't get nailed by the flu or some other longer term illness. For reference sake. I've been with my company for 20 years.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
You work for the state! Or you work for one of those dens of progressivism, a university! How could you?!?!?!

I get 28 days per year plus I can carry over 5 to the next year if I save them. I wouldn't say it's fantastic when you consider that this is my vacation and sick time combined but it does get me through the year pretty well, especially if I don't get nailed by the flu or some other longer term illness. For reference sake. I've been with my company for 20 years.
28 days isn't horrible by US standards I think. Though you have been with your employer for 20 years. Congrats, that's a pretty big achievement. That's a whole lot of loyalty. I think the average tenure with a company in the US is about 4 years.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,435
Thanks. But I think there’s something in there with me being too lazy to leave and them being too lazy to lay me off.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #18
Coldeath
Evil Dead
 
Coldeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 584
Had a few French guys working with me in a different studio. They were pretty chilled when we had to crunch. We did get the time back in time off and when we worked the weekend we all got an extra day off. Note this was in Finland that might have something to do with it.

From the article
has run afoul of minimum wage laws, neglected to compensate developers for overtime, and refused to recognize contractual obligations with some employees.

This would the main problem would be my guess
Coldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eugen systems

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.