Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:40 AM
7 Replies, 384 Views

Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
Holy shit, what are you guys talking about.

JJ Abrams just bought a random screenplay called god particle. Then he waited until it was in post production, got drunk, and threw in a cgi godzilla wherever and named it cloverfield.

Cloverfield Lane was a screenplay called The Cellar. The actors found out they were changing the name to cloverfield like 1 week before the press tour. Honestly naming it cloverfield fucked the movie up but Abrams doesn't give a shit. It wasn't supposed to be clear whether John Goodman was crazy or if it was a real invasion.

Cloverfield paradox was not a good movie. It has a 17% on rotten tomatoes. It was just a bunch of random bullshit that didn't make any sense for about 1.5 hours. Basically nothing that happened in the movie had any explanation and for the most part they didn't even bother trying to offer one. It took place in the future, but they pretended it was an origin story somehow because Abrams doesn't give any fucks. Then he was just like whatever throw in a godzilla and then roll the credits.

Abrams just buys shit, names it cloverfield for marketing purposes and throws in some godzillas if he can find a spot. He doesn't give a fuck and isn't building a Cloverfield universe.

Netflix didn't even want a big marketing campaign to build hype because they didn't want to raise anyone's expectations for this garbage fire so they just bought 1 ad spot and then instantly released it.

I assume the next one also coming out this year will be similarly not connected and then george lucas style he will just cgi some godzillas into the background of some scenes and maybe name some shit in the movie cloverfield for no reason and release it.
Yeah, we all know the Cloverfield "series" is more or less a Frankenstein's monster-like gestalt of otherwise unrelated movies with some connective tissue stapled on.

With that being said, there is a nifty little parallel that may or may not have been intentional.

At around the 18:20 mark in Cloverfield Paradox, the Shepard accident occurs and causes the dimensional bullshit. At around the 18:20 mark in Cloverfield, the explosion that occurs as the monster is beginning its attack.

It's probably completely coincidental, but its still kinda neat.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Holy shit, what are you guys talking about.

JJ Abrams just bought a random screenplay called god particle. Then he waited until it was in post production, got drunk, and threw in a cgi godzilla wherever and named it cloverfield.

Cloverfield Lane was a screenplay called The Cellar. The actors found out they were changing the name to cloverfield like 1 week before the press tour. Honestly naming it cloverfield fucked the movie up but Abrams doesn't give a shit. It wasn't supposed to be clear whether John Goodman was crazy or if it was a real invasion.

Cloverfield paradox was not a good movie. It has a 17% on rotten tomatoes. It was just a bunch of random bullshit that didn't make any sense for about 1.5 hours. Basically nothing that happened in the movie had any explanation and for the most part they didn't even bother trying to offer one. It took place in the future, but they pretended it was an origin story somehow because Abrams doesn't give any fucks. Then he was just like whatever throw in a godzilla and then roll the credits.

Abrams just buys shit, names it cloverfield for marketing purposes and throws in some godzillas if he can find a spot. He doesn't give a fuck and isn't building a Cloverfield universe.

Netflix didn't even want a big marketing campaign to build hype because they didn't want to raise anyone's expectations for this garbage fire so they just bought 1 ad spot and then instantly released it.

I assume the next one also coming out this year will be similarly not connected and then george lucas style he will just cgi some godzillas into the background of some scenes and maybe name some shit in the movie cloverfield for no reason and release it.
Just because the screenplays were not connected doesnít mean that the movies arenít connected. Itís essentially robotech all over again.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #23
Cranium
Reaper

With all its flaws and disjointed discombobulation, I'm more excited about the Cloverfield universe than the Star Wars one these days. This movie sucked on many levels, but the art direction was sharp and well executed, the characters believable enough, if poorly acted at times. Loved the twist towards the end with the stowaway standing up for her shit.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Itís essentially robotech all over again.
Damn you Harmony Gold!
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #25
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
At around the 18:20 mark in Cloverfield Paradox, the Shepard accident occurs and causes the dimensional bullshit. At around the 18:20 mark in Cloverfield, the explosion that occurs as the monster is beginning its attack.
Or both screenwriters were using a template like Save the Cat which told them to introduce the action/horror element on page x of the screenplay at 18:20.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #26
Azzy
Cthulian

Why the fuck do people keep saying Netflix is free? Even if you're piggybacking on another person's account it's still not free, you're just letting somebody else pay.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #27
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Or both screenwriters were using a template like Save the Cat which told them to introduce the action/horror element on page x of the screenplay at 18:20.
Like I said in the part you omitted, it's probably coincidental...but it's still kinda cool, nonetheless.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #28
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Why the fuck do people keep saying Netflix is free? Even if you're piggybacking on another person's account it's still not free, you're just letting somebody else pay.
Because you don't pay anything extra for the individual movies and series. You get all their streaming of old movies & shows and they throw in these "free" movies on top of all of that.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Watched it last night, and viewed it less like a movie in the Cloverfield story arch, but more like a stand alone Sci-Fi movie and I actually enjoyed it. I don't know how anyone sees a cheesy, over-the-top movie like "Interstellar" and says "Oh mah god that was incredible!" and thinks this was a bad movie. It was a solid sci-fi thriller without the overlay of cheesy romance tacked to it. If I watch one more sci-fi thriller/romance ala movies like Passengers with Chris Pratt, I'm going to puke. Since many years ago when I first watched Event Horizon, I've been hoping for a boon in sci-fi thrillers and sci-fi horror movies. We're seeing a lot of them now, but most of them kind of suck. Cloverfield Paradox was solid, IMO.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #30
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Watched it last night, and viewed it less like a movie in the Cloverfield story arch, but more like a stand alone Sci-Fi movie and I actually enjoyed it. I don't know how anyone sees a cheesy, over-the-top movie like "Interstellar" and says "Oh mah god that was incredible!" and thinks this was a bad movie. It was a solid sci-fi thriller without the overlay of cheesy romance tacked to it. If I watch one more sci-fi thriller/romance ala movies like Passengers with Chris Pratt, I'm going to puke. Since many years ago when I first watched Event Horizon, I've been hoping for a boon in sci-fi thrillers and sci-fi horror movies. We're seeing a lot of them now, but most of them kind of suck. Cloverfield Paradox was solid, IMO.
I plan to give it a watch this weekend. And funny you mention Event Horizon because since the late 90s I've felt the same way. The closest we got in recent memory was the underrated Pandorum. That was far more successful at recapturing classic space scifi horror than the Prometheus and Alien Covenant garbage fires.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #31
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
I plan to give it a watch this weekend. And funny you mention Event Horizon because since the late 90s I've felt the same way. The closest we got in recent memory was the underrated Pandorum. That was far more successful at recapturing classic space scifi horror than the Prometheus and Alien Covenant garbage fires.
Completely agree. I liked Pandorum a lot. It's underrated as hell. All of our sci-fi "thrillers" lately have been more like sci-fi dramas and sci-fi romance movies. I just want some space and some spaceships, some theoretical physics stuff thrown in, some aliens, a semi-believable plot, and some interesting characters and character development so I care when they're getting torn to bits by the aliens. Is that too much to ask?

It wasn't perfect, the acting was up and down, and it had a few cheese moments, but if you like sci-fi horror I think you'll at least find Cloverfield Paradox worth watching. Maybe more so if you don't care that much about the Cloverfield story arch. Which I personally don't - even after watching the other 2 movies.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #32
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Watched Cloverfield Paradox on Saturday and it was complete ass. Probably the most tone deaf movie I've seen since Batman v Superman. It was like they spent a few weeks filming a straight up horror movie, went on vacation, then came back and forgot what they were making and decided to do a comedy. I wouldn't be surprised if each actor read from a different script. Then for whatever reason during post production a few scenes and off screen voices referencing Cloverfield were thrown in. And it added nothing. I guess you can be entertained by how much of a clusterfuck the movie truly is. There's so much nonsense like a woman showing up impaled inside a wall, recovering like Wolverine and then attacking and taking out much of the crew. One guy loses an arm, laughs it off, and somehow it appears as a sentient thing out of Evil Dead but helps them I guess. The side-story with the guy on Earth with a little girl went nowhere and was totally out of place.

They should have gone full Evil Dead 2 and had an interesting cult flick on the space station and nowhere else. Go for the gore and laughs. Instead it was half assed horror, half assed slapstick, and pure laziness all around. They must have changed their mind on a daily basis what kind of movie they were making. The Star Citizen approach to film making. Do Not Watch.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #33
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
There's so much nonsense like a woman showing up impaled inside a wall, recovering like Wolverine and then attacking and taking out much of the crew.
The movie is certainly flawed...but, all of this was more or less clearly explained, or at least made fairly evident due to genre tropes.

When Cloverfield Station (let's call this CS1) activated the Shepard particle accelerator, they ended up slipping into a parallel dimension/universe. This act displaced this other dimension's version of Cloverfield Station (let's call it CS2), which destroyed it. The woman was a crew member on CS2; when the accident occurred and CS2 was displaced by CS1, she ended up trapped inside of the wall. It essentially materialized around her, which clearly didn't end well for her.

Her rapid healing was caused by Magic Sci-Fi Medicine, present in virtually any and every story of this nature. It's not the greatest answer, I know...but, it's a genre trope.

She turned on the crew of CS1 because they had a working Shepard particle accelerator along with the correct settings and calculations to produce the desired unlimited energy. Her version of Shepard was completely destroyed...and she wanted to take the working version to help end the wars that had already broken out on her version of Earth. She didn't like the plan of being handed a sheet of paper with all of the right answers and shuttled back to her war-torn planet, so she grabbed a gun and decided to hijack the whole thing.

Quote:
One guy loses an arm, laughs it off, and somehow it appears as a sentient thing out of Evil Dead but helps them I guess. The side-story with the guy on Earth with a little girl went nowhere and was totally out of place.
While this bit was a tad on the silly side...crazy shit happens when you slam two parallel dimensions/universes into each other. I accepted this along with the worms and gyroscope being found inside of the Russian dude for the very same reason.

Quote:
They should have gone full Evil Dead 2 and had an interesting cult flick on the space station and nowhere else. Go for the gore and laughs. Instead it was half assed horror, half assed slapstick, and pure laziness all around. They must have changed their mind on a daily basis what kind of movie they were making.
It started out as a film called God Particle, which was originally quite a bit different. It was retrofitted with Cloverfield stuff during production.

Quote:
Do Not Watch.
I didn't think the movie was that terrible. While I may have been disappointed if I had paid to see it in a theater, I enjoyed it enough for what it was at the price of admission I had to pay.

It's far from perfect and it's not the Cloverfield follow-up I've been wanting for the past decade, but I've also wasted a couple hours on far worse movies than this.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-14-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Chimpbot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #34
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
While this bit was a tad on the silly side...crazy shit happens when you slam two parallel dimensions/universes into each other. I accepted this along with the worms and gyroscope being found inside of the Russian dude for the very same reason.
Why was the arm alive? Who was controlling the arm? Why did the arm know where the gyroscope was? Why did the worms explode out of the guys body? Why did the solder seem to come alive and turn into snakes at the end of the movie to kill that guy?

It was just all ridiculous and nothing had any rules. Just a bunch of random shit happening because JJ Abrams thinks his audience is retarded.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #35
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Why was the arm alive? Who was controlling the arm? Why did the arm know where the gyroscope was? Why did the worms explode out of the guys body? Why did the solder seem to come alive and turn into snakes at the end of the movie to kill that guy?

It was just all ridiculous and nothing had any rules. Just a bunch of random shit happening because JJ Abrams thinks his audience is retarded.
I believe they wanted the audience to infer all of those things you listed were a result of the universe they jumped to trying to correct itself by attacking the anomalies. I believe a character mentions something about that at one point. Even if I'm correct in that, I think it's ridiculous.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #36
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I believe they wanted the audience to infer all of those things you listed were a result of the universe they jumped to trying to correct itself by attacking the anomalies. I believe a character mentions something about that at one point. Even if I'm correct in that, I think it's ridiculous.
It is a bit ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than all the near misses that just happened to work out, or the over-the-top dramas, and forced tear jerkers, and all the other bologna they squeeze into sci-fi thrillers nowadays. I mean, this movie had it's fair share, but it wasn't as outrageous as something like "Interstellar". The details were silly or made no sense upon examination, but it was an entertaining sci-fi thriller, IMO. I didn't mind it. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed watching the film in a genre that I wish we had more quality movies in.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #37
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It is a bit ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than all the near misses that just happened to work out, or the over-the-top dramas, and forced tear jerkers, and all the other bologna they squeeze into sci-fi thrillers nowadays. I mean, this movie had it's fair share, but it wasn't as outrageous as something like "Interstellar". The details were silly or made no sense upon examination, but it was an entertaining sci-fi thriller, IMO. I didn't mind it. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed watching the film in a genre that I wish we had more quality movies in.
Interstellar is not great either and doesn't make much sense, but still more than this garbage fire of a movie.

At least interstellar attempted to offer an explanation for events instead of a random series of scenes disconnected from any logical framework.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #38
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
The universe was trying to correct itself by killing the people trying to correct it? The solder came to life for no reason and speared through that guy near the end.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #39
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
The universe was trying to correct itself by killing the people trying to correct it? The solder came to life for no reason and speared through that guy near the end.
I'm not defending it as if it made sense, just saying I think that's what their explanation was.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #40
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Not only was it a ridiculous film but it was also very dull. A lot of time is spent on nothing at all. The drama was unexplained, the children plot device was used late when it should have been there from the start. The earth scenes were boring. And the little girl plot went nowhere. A lot of time in this movie was wasted on nothing, probably because they didn't have a budget or creativity to think of something else
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the cloverfield paradox