Last post by Mojopin
Yesterday 07:15 AM
8 Replies, 1,319 Views

Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #41
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
The universe was trying to correct itself by killing the people trying to correct it? The solder came to life for no reason and speared through that guy near the end.
LOL! Yah, I guess a lot of it was ridiculous. I don't know why I'm even defending it at this point. I didn't mind it, but it's not like I thought it was a brilliant work of art. I've seen worse in the genre for my taste, but yah, a lot of it was kind of absurd.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #42
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The weird stuff like the sentient arm not being explained didn't bother me. I can accept in this movie there are multiple universes overlapping and some of them have weird things like sentient arms. Or living killer metal. Or whatever that was. What ruined the movie is how drastically the tone shifts from character to character while experiencing them. It's so hand-wavy and forgotten. Any attempts at seriousness or humor fall flat every time. There's too much yammering on about nothing until the next set piece then we rush along to the next set piece. And we never have time to breath. I didn't get a chance to care about any of the numerous boring characters. I'm guessing the Earth story was supposed to be that break but it feels like it was ripped out of another movie and shoved in. Deaths and injuries are meaningless when they are all fine and dandy in the next scene. The whole Philadelphia Experiment type scene with the woman fused inside the wall was a cool idea flushed down the toilet. I'm intrigued by the impossible size of the end monster but don't care to see more.

Thinking about it I kind of wish Netflix got behind an Event Horizon prequel or soft reboot. The few snippets we saw of what happened to the original crew were creepy as fuck.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #43
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Thinking about it I kind of wish Netflix got behind an Event Horizon prequel or soft reboot. The few snippets we saw of what happened to the original crew were creepy as fuck.
That I can agree on. I would be pretty hyped for that. Telling the story of the original crew would be an easy way into a prequel.

Incidentally, (not that you trust my taste at this point) have you seen the TV show "Altered Carbon" on Netflix? It's one of the better Sci-Fi shows I've seen in a while. I think it's based on a book, but I haven't really looked it's history. It's a bit pretentious, and the ending was cliche and phoned in, but the future noir, cyberpunk setting is well done, and the plot is pretty interesting.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #44
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I’m not sure why anyone thinks the monster at the end of the movie was any larger than the regular Clovie from the first film, they don’t show it next to anything that would give it a sense of scale.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #45
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Iím not sure why anyone thinks the monster at the end of the movie was any larger than the regular Clovie from the first film, they donít show it next to anything that would give it a sense of scale.
Because it bursts above the cloud coverage, which I think most assumed to be at a normal height. Clovis wasnít nearly that tall, but maybe grew that large eventually.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #46
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
Why was the arm alive? Who was controlling the arm? Why did the arm know where the gyroscope was? Why did the worms explode out of the guys body? Why did the solder seem to come alive and turn into snakes at the end of the movie to kill that guy?

It was just all ridiculous and nothing had any rules. Just a bunch of random shit happening because JJ Abrams thinks his audience is retarded.
The arm was being controlled by the alternate dimension version of the character who lost his arm and the worms exploded out of the Russian because that's where they ended up when the two versions of the space station ended up occupying the same space.

Since it was clear anything could happen and nothing would have to explicitly make sense, I was just along for the ride.

Quote:
I’m not sure why anyone thinks the monster at the end of the movie was any larger than the regular Clovie from the first film, they don’t show it next to anything that would give it a sense of scale.
The Lowest cloud level sits at around 6500ft at its highest. Since its head easily burst through the clouds, the monster that appeared at the end of the movie would have been around 6500ft tall. While clouds can obviously be lower...we're still talking about a creature that could be up to 6500ft in height.

For reference, the largest Godzilla (from the new anime movies) doesn't even crack 1000ft...and it bursts out of a mountain at the end of the first movie.

This new Clover was absurdly large.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-15-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Chimpbot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #47
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

For reference, the largest Godzilla (from the new anime movies) doesn't even crack 1000ft...and it bursts out of a mountain at the end of the first movie.
I just want to say that I liked the new anime. It's so hopeless and grim.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #48
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The Lowest cloud level sits at around 6500ft at its highest. Since its head easily burst through the clouds, the monster that appeared at the end of the movie would have been around 6500ft tall. While clouds can obviously be lower...we're still talking about a creature that could be up to 6500ft in height.

This new Clover was absurdly large.
Why would you think it is cloud cover and not just a fog bank? See, that's my point, they don't give it any reference for scale so while the fanboys are going crazy saying it's some super-huge version of Clover, there just isn't anything in that scene to give you the indication that it is any bigger than the monster from the first film.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #49
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Incidentally, (not that you trust my taste at this point) have you seen the TV show "Altered Carbon" on Netflix? It's one of the better Sci-Fi shows I've seen in a while. I think it's based on a book, but I haven't really looked it's history. It's a bit pretentious, and the ending was cliche and phoned in, but the future noir, cyberpunk setting is well done, and the plot is pretty interesting.
I intend to. The trailers look cool and I love cyberpunk. I actually followed up Cloverfield Paradox with Blade Runner 2049 and loved it. Definitely not a movie I would recommend to anybody other than people who watched every cut of Blade Runner, read the books and comics, and played the Westwood Studios game many many times (finished 2 more playthroughs since this weekend; fucking amazing game). The reviews for Altered Carbon are unsurprisingly all over the place. Will dive in on Saturday at the earliest.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #50
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Why would you think it is cloud cover and not just a fog bank? See, that's my point, they don't give it any reference for scale so while the fanboys are going crazy saying it's some super-huge version of Clover, there just isn't anything in that scene to give you the indication that it is any bigger than the monster from the first film.
Most people are assuming its cloud cover due to the fact that the escape pod's reentry was more or less followed from the time it left the station to the time is passed through the clouds.

If it was intended to be a fog bank, they would have (in all likelihood) made it more evident by showing buildings, etc. Instead, it was (in all likelihood) the cloud line.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #51
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Off topic, but I watched the first episode of Altered Carbon and I thought it was pretty good.

Netflix is knocking it out of the park. They have a deal to bring Annihilation to Netflix outside the USA on the same day the movie is hitting US theaters.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #52
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
The lack of reference is why I assume it's cloud cover. If they had included something for scale, like a mountain, building, or something else, I wouldn't feel that way. (ending scene spoiler)

So, to me, what's offered makes it appear like it's larger than the first movie's monster. Add in that it Abrams said the first movie's monster was a baby and it seemed less developed than this one, I'd wager this one was larger. I'm not claiming this to be in any way conclusive.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #53
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I saw the first episode of Altered Carbon last night and found it enjoyable. The acting is a little dry, although it could be I'm not familiar with everyone yet and I haven't read the source material. Cool premise, the visuals are great, actions scenes good and not too numerous, and there's nothing that has turned me off from the next episodes. As far as rating it with other scifi shows, I'd say it falls well behind the first season of The Expanse but far ahead of Dark Matter. It makes me wish for a new good Dune series.

I forget if I said it before, everyone MUST WATCH FUTURE MAN. I need a season 2 right now.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #54
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

There is also a lot of nudity in Altered Carbon. Episode 2 goes a bit over the top in that direction. It's like the new Game of Thrones. Strange for a Netflix series, but still cool.

Oh and Season 3 of Channel Zero is playing now. It's off to a pretty good start. Weird for sure and a little more "obvious" than the subtle horror of the previous seasons.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #55
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
I saw the first episode of Altered Carbon last night and found it enjoyable. The acting is a little dry, although it could be I'm not familiar with everyone yet and I haven't read the source material. Cool premise, the visuals are great, actions scenes good and not too numerous, and there's nothing that has turned me off from the next episodes. As far as rating it with other scifi shows, I'd say it falls well behind the first season of The Expanse but far ahead of Dark Matter. It makes me wish for a new good Dune series.

I forget if I said it before, everyone MUST WATCH FUTURE MAN. I need a season 2 right now.
Nice man. Yah, it's not going to blow your mind with anything ground breaking, and the acting is up and down, if at times, a bit flat. Loved the world, though, and some of the characters were interesting. I liked the AI hotel manager a fair bit. All in all the story is intriguing enough too. Well, up until the end. I thought it fell flat. Clearly rushed by the end with an absolute generic finish and some cringe inducing pseudo-philosophical dialogue.

A few friends recommended The Expanse. I'll probably start on it this week. I'll check out Future Man soon enough too.

If you get a few more episodes into Altered Carbon, I wouldn't mind hearing your feedback.

[EDIT] - Wifey definitely will NOT watch "Future Man" based on trailer. The minute anything mentions video games as a plot point, she's out. Doubly so the mention time travel for cock blocking to prevent herpes. I think she will instantly role her eyes out of her head. Looked at "Black Mirror" but don't think I want an anthology with episodes being disconnected from each other and an overarching story. Between Netflix and Hulu, can you recommend any other sci-fi TV shows?

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-18-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #56
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Future Man is both the dumbest and funniest thing I've watched in a long time. They got the balance down so well and every actor is perfect. I rarely see a comedy (or any show for that matter) where the cast seems to genuinely enjoy what they're doing while their characters are in on the joke. Inversely the Fox show Ghosted gave off a forced or cynical vibe and after the first few episodes I jumped ship. Oddly enough I didn't want to watch Future Man until my girlfriend convinced me. Wolf is the best character in any show.

Travelers on Netflix is really good. It's kind of a mashup of Quantum Leap and 12 Monkeys with people sent back to our time to prevent their own demise far off in the future. Mostly a good cast with a couple standouts like Eric McCormack playing the role as the time travelers' team leader and simultaneously a high ranking FBI agent. Sometimes characters do frustrating things and the second season isn't as strong as the first. I especially disliked the cliffhanger ending to season 2 that felt exactly like something writers do when they run out of ideas and need a desperate next season hook. One episode is an annoying 5 minute loop of sending someone back in time over and over and over until a traveler finally doesn't get killed and reaches their goal. I was relieved when it was over. But the show is smart overall and kept my attention. I'd recommend it.

Tags
the cloverfield paradox