Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 11:52 AM
15 Replies, 578 Views

Old 06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Black Ops 4 DLC Locked into a Season Pass

PC Gamer has the news that Activision plans to lock the DLC maps for Black Ops 4 behind a massive paywall.

Quote:
The Call of Duty community is in an uproar over Activision's plans for Black Ops 4 DLC, which will see post-release multiplayer maps locked behind a "Black Ops Pass". The pass will include a "bonus Zombies experience" called Classified plus four more "all-new Zombies experiences," four exclusive Blackout characters, and 12 multiplayer maps. As numerous unhappy threads on the Black Ops 4 subreddit have pointed out, that's going to split the community between those who are willing to pony up for the pass, and those who are not.

"Black Ops 4 has the potential to be one of the greatest games in the franchise. Unfortunately, despite the great game it looks to be, Activision is taking a step backwards by dividing the community with a MASSIVE paywall which many can't afford," as one user, Stroook, put it.

"The community is made of of millions of people coming from different backgrounds, ages, and groups. There are youngins who can't afford to beg their parents for $15 DLC let alone a $40-50 'Black Ops Pass' [pricing of the pass hasn't been announced] on top of a $60 dollar game. There are those who can't budget enough for more than one AAA game. Many can't afford the $100 dollar paywall Activision is creating."
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
hund_
Evil Dead

No singleplayer =Never ever buying.
I will admit that as crappy the last third of bo3 was i was probably skipping bo4 anyways
Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Expect more of this shit as companies try and circumvent any rules about loot boxes.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Exodus
Evil Dead

Yeesh why even bother with a base game without the season pass just sell it for the gold edition price.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

A million assholes will still buy this trash, justifying every bit of their bullshit.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
McWolf
Squire

The last third of BO3 was pretty crappy indeed, but Der Eisendrache and Zetsubou were not too shabby at all, I can understand why the community would be upset over the season pass involving the MP maps due to us not getting Campaign and instead getting Battle Royale (The gamemode no one asked for) however.. playing devils advocate.. this is the way they've been doing it for awhile now, season pass gives you 4 zombies maps, 12 MP maps, most of us are quite used to it by now.

Also atleast BO3 Zombies had a fleshed out story with characters that we've known and loved for so long, this appears to be trying to go full force towards the new zombie universe they created, which no one is truly interested in aside from the Titanic Map, and BO3 got mod tools which is endless possibilities and maps and gamemodes, I highly doubt BO4 will get Mod Tools.
McWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Treyarch still sucks.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Treyarch still sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
A million assholes will still buy this trash, justifying every bit of their bullshit.
Hard to say. Their overall sales for this franchise has been on the decline and WWII didn’t break any sales records.

I think cutting off the single player campaign on the one CoD franchise best known for it’s single player campaigns is a mistake. Most people liked Modern Warfare for it’s online play, Black Ops was always known for Zombies and the single player campaign.

Turning that part of CoD into multiplayer-only just because the developers are too lazy and disorganized to get a campaign done in time for a yearly launch seems like a mistake. It would have been way smarter to just eat the holiday loss, finish the single player campaign (which is rumored to be coming out later as an expansion pack) and then launch this title in January of February when it isn’t even competing with Battlefield V.

Trying to then lock all your gamers into buying the $99 edition with the Season Pass included to make up for not having a single player campaign is just rubbing salt into the wound and will totally end up splitting their player base into “Base Game” and “Season Pass” groups. My experience tells me that what ends up happening is that the “Season Pass” group is always tiny and it is hard to find enough players for a match.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Survey says...

Fuck no!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
GodFather
Evil Dead

Its a pretty simple solution, dont buy it..
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
Its a pretty simple solution, dont buy it..
That was pretty much the solution given when DLC was in its infancy back in the Horse Armor days. We can see how well that worked out.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
GodFather
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
That was pretty much the solution given when DLC was in its infancy back in the Horse Armor days. We can see how well that worked out.
Well unfortunately thats what will change the climate. If the shoe was on the other foot and I sold a product and people bitched about it and I still sold millions as a result of it I would turn a deaf ear. Money talks baby.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black ops 4, treyarch still sucks