Today 11:56 AM
9 Replies, 568 Views

Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

China wants to solve its eyesight problem by restricting video games

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
After several weeks of nervousness over China's freeze on video game approvals, developers' worst fears have been confirmed. China does indeed want to severely regulate the number of video games it approves - albeit for an unlikely reason.

Chinese president Xi Jinping, in remarks reported this week by Chinese news outlet Xinhuanet, said the video game regulation was because he "cares for the children's eyes" and wants to "let them have a bright future". At a glimpse, a sensible declaration - clearly, the man is a true visionary.

But this was just the beginning of the war on myopia. Yesterday, the Ministry of Education gave more detail, and announced the Chinese government would implement a number of regulatory measures to combat the health problem. One of these involved restricting the total number of online games, and controlling the amount of new online games allowed into the country. To help protect the childrens' eyes, it will also review the age-ratings system and adopt measures to limit the amount of time minors can play.

As the document is fairly vague, experts are saying it's currently unclear just how restrictive the regulations will be. But in the context of the Chinese government's clampdown on tech companies, and the recent freeze in video game approvals, it seems likely games will be subject to more censorship. Of course, this is definitely all about eyesight. Yep.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Down with smart phones, and computers too!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Yet another weak “think of the children” argument.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Everyone I know that is bad at video games has perfect eye sight, go figure lol
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Feh, this is a sideways argument. What the CCP really wants to do is find a way to limit the amount of subversive content that younger people can be exposed to... especially on the cusp of them rolling out the mandatory social credit score system in a few years. They need to curb the influence of these data streams until self-correction to maintain strong social credit scores becomes fully mainstream.

The funny irony is that the CCP is now so wary of a unified backlash against such an argument that they have to shrink-wrap this bundle of horseshit in lies that make it seem like they are looking out for the citizenry's best interest.... the huge amount of advancement in prosperity across China has actually put the Party on the razor's edge because now people have more of a voice and are more willing to fight for the nice things they have (IE- online gaming).
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Brought to you by the same morons who have created a demographic disaster of epic proportions through state-controlled reproduction.

Never forget which political party/ideology loves these totalitarian fuckers.

Quote:
One-party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks. But when it is led by a reasonably enlightened group of people, as China is today, it can also have great advantages. That one party can just impose the politically difficult but critically important policies needed to move a society forward in the 21st century.
Enlightened group of people. LOLOLOLOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead

What a shitshow
Old 09-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

At least they are not going for another Eugenics program, ala One Child Policy, and instate an "If you had to wear glasses at a young age, you are no longer able to reproduce." Many issues related to poor eyesight are hereditary, not environmental, so if you do not allow people who have a long history of poor eyesight procreate, then you create a generation that has, overall, better eyesight than the one before it.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
What a shitshow
(squints, holds phone at arms length)

Yeah, no kidding.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Brought to you by the same morons who have created a demographic disaster of epic proportions through state-controlled reproduction.

Never forget which political party/ideology loves these totalitarian fuckers.

Enlightened group of people. LOLOLOLOL.
That article is from 2009 and is an opinion piece from when Dems were on top of the world with their messiah. These days the same is likely to be said by fanatics on the right about how great it is to have Trump and GOP ownership of everything and how now we can finally get it right!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That article is from 2009...
OMG, you're right! Progressives have changed so much since then! They wouldn't advocate for disarming the populace, like any totalitarian tyrants would, or anything of that sort at all!

"Faith, here's an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against either scale; who committed treason enough for God's sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator."

Welcome to hell. I hope you'll find it warm.
Quote:
Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
OMG, you're right! Progressives have changed so much since then! They wouldn't advocate for disarming the populace, like any totalitarian tyrants would, or anything of that sort at all!

"Faith, here's an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against either scale; who committed treason enough for God's sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator."

Welcome to hell. I hope you'll find it warm.
Mental illness is a bitch isn't it. GL with your pills.

Also, this whole policy change in China just means an extra bribe layer to get your shit published there. Same shit different day.

Here is some relevant Shakespeare for you

"Th’ abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."(bitch)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Reality is a helluva drug!

Also, progressives' fondness for authoritarianism and fundamentalism is a bitch!

LOL@proggies who love Chinese communism.
Quote:
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That article is from 2009 and is an opinion piece from when Dems were on top of the world with their messiah. These days the same is likely to be said by fanatics on the right about how great it is to have Trump and GOP ownership of everything and how now we can finally get it right!
2018 opinion piece in the NYT: Obama — Just Too Good for Us
Quote:
As president, Obama always found us wanting. We were constantly disappointing him. He would tell us the right thing to do and then sigh and purse his lips when his instructions were not followed.

Shortly after Donald Trump was elected, Rhodes writes in his new book, “The World as It Is,” Obama asked his aides, “What if we were wrong?”

But in his next breath, the president made it clear that what he meant was: What if we were wrong in being so right? What if we were too good for these people?

“Maybe we pushed too far,” the president continued. “Maybe people just want to fall back into their tribe.”

So really, he’s not acknowledging any flaws but simply wondering if we were even more benighted than he thought. He’s saying that, sadly, we were not enlightened enough for the momentous changes wrought by the smartest people in the world — or even evolved enough for the first African-American president.

“Sometimes I wonder whether I was 10 or 20 years too early,” Obama mused to aides.

We just weren’t ready for his amazing awesomeness.
Same thing as the piece Terran provided — the peasants are to be ruled by their betters. This seems to be a somewhat mainstream opinion from Progessives. I don’t think that the idea that Trump is infallible is mainstream among his supporters. In fact, it seems most readily admit Trump is flawed. To me, it seems that many on the Right believe they’re voting for a lesser evil by electing a flawed candidate that will hopefully steer the country in a better direction, whereas the Left seems to think they’re voting for a Jesus-like figure who will dictate their way to some Progressive utopia. If only the sinners would listen.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
blackzc
Evil Dead

^Trump is mean, but i will hold my nose and vote for him. I'm a good person.

More conservative graceful losing crap. Neocons refuse to do anything of value, just complain about how unfair the media is and how hypocritical the left is. I'm sick of them, they are baggage at this point.

I really do find it hard to believe Obama was on any mission but taking america down. When he got elected, the right swing started. Dems lost hundreds of seat across the country. They were backed into a corner, so they acted.

Trump winning is not the end of this. Unless you buy into the Q narrative. Which is basically, do nothing, enjoy the show. We got dis.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
^Trump is mean, but i will hold my nose and vote for him. I'm a good person.

More conservative graceful losing crap. Neocons refuse to do anything of value, just complain about how unfair the media is and how hypocritical the left is. I'm sick of them, they are baggage at this point.

I really do find it hard to believe Obama was on any mission but taking america down. When he got elected, the right swing started. Dems lost hundreds of seat across the country. They were backed into a corner, so they acted.

Trump winning is not the end of this. Unless you buy into the Q narrative. Which is basically, do nothing, enjoy the show. We got dis.
The Qanon narrative isn't "do nothing" it's get out there and expose the left for what it is and vote.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
censorship, china, commie bastards