Text Highlighting
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 02:30 PM
10 Replies, 699 Views

Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PlayStation VR is Getting a Price Cut

VG247 is reporting that the PlayStation VR is getting a substantial price cut.

Quote:
The retail price of the PlayStation VR headset is being reduced.

Following a month of PlayStation VR promotions, Sony has now announced that it’s cutting the price of the VR headset permanently starting March 29.

The basic bundle, which includes the headset, a PlayStation Camera, and the PlayStation VR Worlds demo disc will sell for $300/380 CAD. In Europe, this translates to €300, a drop from $400/€400. The new prices will go in effect a bit late in Australia and New Zealand, starting April 2.

In the US, the Doom VFR Bundle has the same price as the basic bundle. It comes with everything that bundle has, as well as a disc copy of Doom VFR. For $50 more, you can get the Skyrim VR Bundle at $350.

It’s a pretty good deal, because you also get two PlayStation Move controllers, not to mention a copy of Skyrim VR.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I bought mine at release and used it for a whole year with the original PS4 then upgraded to a PS4 Pro just for the VR. I don't play any non-VR games on my PS4 at all. The selection of games is pretty decent and the Pro made a noticeable difference. Mostly, I just like the easy integration and the fact that I don't need to deal with any software or tweaking, it works out of the box. Totally awesome to introduce someone new to VR without having them sit at your computer desk.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
I bought mine at release and used it for a whole year with the original PS4 then upgraded to a PS4 Pro just for the VR. I don't play any non-VR games on my PS4 at all. The selection of games is pretty decent and the Pro made a noticeable difference. Mostly, I just like the easy integration and the fact that I don't need to deal with any software or tweaking, it works out of the box. Totally awesome to introduce someone new to VR without having them sit at your computer desk.
There’s been an avalanche of great VR games lately. I can’t keep up.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I tried it once and thought it was cool but the hardware is a bit bulky and my game area isn't really set up for VR. So I'm still leaning toward not getting it but I am still looking forward to how Golem turns out.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I picked up the Skyrim bundle during the last sale, which I guess is not the retail price. I am really enjoy it. It is paired with the Pro, and VR has been a lot better than I thought it would be. I have a good size play area though, so space hasn't been an issue for me. I can see where that would be a big issue for some games.

Moss has been a joy to play as far as recent releases go.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I tried it once and thought it was cool but the hardware is a bit bulky and my game area isn't really set up for VR. So I'm still leaning toward not getting it but I am still looking forward to how Golem turns out.
Yeah, I’m very much a “stand up and play vr or else it’s not really vr” guy, but it really doesn’t take THAT much room. It really depends on the game. It’s REALLY frustrating when you need to reach out for something in the game world but you can’t reach it because you keep bumping into a physical wall in the real world.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

I have an OG PS4 and PSVR1. Its fantastic. Changes the game
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

I had completely forgot about this, but WipeOut Omega Collection received a PSVR update today, and the boys at Digital Foundry are calling it the Full Fat Experience (ie. there is little to no compromise). Super excited to try this out when I get home.

LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I had completely forgot about this, but WipeOut Omega Collection received a PSVR update today, and the boys at Digital Foundry are calling it the Full Fat Experience (ie. there is little to no compromise). Super excited to try this out when I get home.

They sell a haptic vest that you can put on that rumbles to the sound effects channel of games. I think that would be perfect for vehicle games. I think that's a missing part to VR right now. That tactile sense of being in a vehicle
Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
They sell a haptic vest that you can put on that rumbles to the sound effects channel of games. I think that would be perfect for vehicle games. I think that's a missing part to VR right now. That tactile sense of being in a vehicle
For me, what's missing from VR is the ability to experience stuff like this without covering myself in ridiculous electronic clothing and equipment.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
For me, what's missing from VR is the ability to experience stuff like this without covering myself in ridiculous electronic clothing and equipment.
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand that point of view. Video games are inherently ridiculous. Nothing about them is cool or sexy. So I don't see much difference between putting on a visor or hunching over a monitor clicking away like a nutter. Neither one is cool. But one is freaking bleeding edge technology.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand that point of view. Video games are inherently ridiculous. Nothing about them is cool or sexy. So I don't see much difference between putting on a visor or hunching over a monitor clicking away like a nutter. Neither one is cool. But one is freaking bleeding edge technology.
I can't speak for him but for me, the gear is a bit of a drawback. Being wired to a device and wearing a bulky visor just takes away from the immersion factor which is the whole point in the first place. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but I do wish they would improve the gear more quickly. Wireless would be a really nice improvement.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I can't speak for him but for me, the gear is a bit of a drawback. Being wired to a device and wearing a bulky visor just takes away from the immersion factor which is the whole point in the first place. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but I do wish they would improve the gear more quickly. Wireless would be a really nice improvement.
Oh, yeah. I totally agree it could be better. But that’s the bright side, I guess. It certainly will. I remember thinking “wouldn’t it be cool to have a controller with no wires” back in the NES days. I knew it would happen eventually. But i wasn’t exactly boycotting the NES or SNES until it happened.

On another note, though, I actually intentionally set up “immersion” breaking systems in my room so I know I have a tangible link to reality when I need it. For instance I tend to play on a rug so that I know when I’m drifting too far “out of bounds” so that I don’t run into anything in my house. I also tend to have a fan blowing on my from an angle so I know which direction I’m facing.

Both of those are less of an issue if you are a “sit down” player, but I’m not into that.

Tags
ps vr, sony