0 Replies, 53 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft's Scalebound Canceled #XboxOne

Quote:
Sources: Microsoft and Platinum part ways on Scalebound, development ceased

Development of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has ceased after more than four years.

Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016.

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded. Eurogamer has asked Microsoft for comment.
Quote:
In a statement provided to IGN, Microsoft said, "After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for Scalebound."
eurogamer.net
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
GinRummy
Reaper

But what about the gaming wishes of those of us who are covered in scales?
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Maybe Gearbox will buy it on the cheap, farm it out to a sweatshop in China, and sell it as a AAA title called Aliensbound!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead

If this is the one I remember seeing video of, it looked realllly lame back then. Dude with a dragon--great concept right, yet no one seems to be able to pull it off.

And why are you having engine problems in 2016.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Maybe Gearbox will buy it on the cheap, farm it out to a sweatshop in China, and sell it as a AAA title called Aliensbound!
Gearbox can bring their RNG-gun tech to dragon breeding, sell it as Dragonmon and make a trillion pesos.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Did you read the Eurogamer story? The team took a month off then came back to find out they were behind schedule? A MONTH OFF.

Who does that? Who can do that in any industry. This company really deserves to go out of business.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Did you read the Eurogamer story? The team took a month off then came back to find out they were behind schedule? A MONTH OFF.

Who does that? Who can do that in any industry. This company really deserves to go out of business.
Also says they were forced to take a month off, sounds like they ran out of money and it took a month for the publisher to send them a new infusion. Sounds like, to keep dev going they kept the programmers going and management took a month off. Weird.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Also says they were forced to take a month off, sounds like they ran out of money and it took a month for the publisher to send them a new infusion. Sounds like, to keep dev going they kept the programmers going and management took a month off. Weird.
I would imagine that the game was actively on fire and they took a month off in order for people not to go crazy and start quitting left and right.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Fubl
Evil Dead

Could also be a total issue with Work culture. US vs everywhere else in the world.....
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Subscriber

never heard of it
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

This was the Xbox exclusive I was MOST looking forward to!!! FAIL!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Sounds strange. Didn't some of these folks get scooped up from a failed studio last year? I wonder if that "forced" month off was due to a non-compete or somesuch (I wanna say the Darksiders Studio).

It's not an EU studio so there isn't a foo-foo reason like a 30 hour work week thing; the Japanese have a great work ethic.

Another reason would be if these folks were key people and had been crunching hard and threatened to quit if they weren't given time off. Or if it was a governmental requirement after all.

It could have been contractual or a falling out, or any one of a dozen things. But if these few people were the key to keeping the game going, frankly, it was sort of failed in the first place.

Too bad though. I hope this doesn't kill the studio.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

The reveal of the game looked somewhat interesting in the new DMC kind of way, but the E3 showing looked like absolute trash. I think the problem with the game is that they tried to go from single-player only to drop-in-out multi-player, and the game suffered for it.
LostToys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
This was the Xbox exclusive I was MOST looking forward to!!! FAIL!
So you watched those same awful demo videos we all did, and your conclusion was this was the one you were most looking forward to, really. No accounting for taste.

It was high concept, but it really looked flawed in execution.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Sounds strange. Didn't some of these folks get scooped up from a failed studio last year? I wonder if that "forced" month off was due to a non-compete or somesuch (I wanna say the Darksiders Studio).

It's not an EU studio so there isn't a foo-foo reason like a 30 hour work week thing; the Japanese have a great work ethic.

Another reason would be if these folks were key people and had been crunching hard and threatened to quit if they weren't given time off. Or if it was a governmental requirement after all.

It could have been contractual or a falling out, or any one of a dozen things. But if these few people were the key to keeping the game going, frankly, it was sort of failed in the first place.

Too bad though. I hope this doesn't kill the studio.
Having worked with people in the midst of making a mess, I can absolutely understand if Microsoft was like, "Look, everybody. Stop. STOP STOP STOP." and took a month off to assess whether they were going to continue pouring money down the drain or cancel the project and call it a loss.

I think they maybe learned from ReCore that you can't just send out a mess and hope to fix it later with patches.

In any event, it's interesting to note that this is strike 2 for Microsoft. They came out of the game with a bunch of timed exclusives and that bit them in the butt. They then vowed to work on more projects with IP that they could control. We come to find they released a bunch of those very projects in 2016 and they almost all failed. (Some people apparently like the time game, but it wasn't what it was initially promoted to be.)

So I wonder what's next. Do they continue down this path or get out of software development altogether?

Or do they just start buying up promising stuff like Sony does?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #16
steved
Soul Reaper

"A new Platinum game, cool!"

Sees aweful gameplay videos.

"Wtf?"
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
"A new Platinum game, cool!"

Sees aweful gameplay videos.

"Wtf?"
I feel like any cache Platnum had for being a quality developer is long gone. They basically throw things at a wall and see what sticks now. They have at least an equal number of misses to hits, if not more misses than hits.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Yeah, this wouldn't have sold bros. MS did the right thing. I like Platinum but they are pretty much a one trick pony. Just get a WiiU and get Bayoneta, W101 and Star Fox. Its all the same.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #19
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Platinum's recent history has been pretty much all garbage. Early on they were promising. Then they took on any contract they could get and it has been continually biting them in the ass. I really wished Transformers was better. They nailed the aesthetic.

Tags
scalebound