Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 09:06 AM
0 Replies, 53 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Star Wars is still dominating the movie universe, with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story leading the box office for a fourth straight week.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of January 6th to January 8th, 2017.
  1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $21.9/$477.2
  2. Hidden Figures $21.8/$24.7
  3. Sing $19.5/$213.3
  4. Underworld: Blood Wars $13.1/$13.1
  5. La La Land $10.0/$51.6
  6. Passengers $8.8/$80.8
  7. Why Him? $6.5/$48.5
  8. Moana $6.4/$225.3
  9. Fences $4.7/$40.6
  10. Assassin's Creed $3.8/$49.5
  11. Manchester by the Sea $2.4/$33.8
  12. Lion $2.0/$9.8
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Anemone
Evil Dead

Passenger spoilers:

The biggest plot hole is the idea that a fusion reactor or w/e that thing was powering the ship would be able to keep functioning for literally TWO YEARS after a meteorite penetrated its walls. Maybe if it was increeeeedibly microscopic, sheesh, but I doubt your first indication would be failing computer systems. And the idea of a cascade failure in the computers is equally ridiculous, easily avoidable design. You're telling me a company that makes interplanetary cruisers is making an error as basic as that made by cheap Chinese flashlight builders that don't want to spend the time and money to wire LEDs in parallel instead of in serial leading to inevitable cascade failure. It is hard to believe that any aspect of such a computer system would require a serial-support system that could lead to such a cascade failure either.

But w/e, these details are handwaiving and aren't meant to be taken too seriously, it's just stuff that breaks the illusion of the fiction. When your plot revolves around man vs nature, or man vs accident in this case, it's better if the threat is credible.

The danger is in accidentally seeding these things as popular illusions that become part of the mass zeitgeist and end up damaging the use of a technology thereby. One example, the popular idea of lemmings diving into the sea which was entirely fabricated by nature filmmakers, yet now remains with us as a concept due to its popular use.

Lastly, going up against Star Wars was pretty ballsy, probably a bad move. You're splitting the scifi-dollar! Still, the actors in this one are pretty good, and the ethical quandry shown in waking up a chosen passenger is a good one, but I don't think he's shown quite wrestling with it enough.

Also they never discuss food. Are they eating the stores that these people were supposed to live on during that 4-months of last minute trip? You have two people who will live out decades, which is about 1200 months between them. That's food stocks for about 300 people--assuming they don't have any children and live to be about 80. I suppose there are about 5,000 people aboard, so that shouldn't cut them back too much after all.

It's also a bit unbelievable that she would choose to live out her years with him and not go back into hypersleep with the med-doc.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
RisarnChrno
Knight

La La Land is good. Recommended date night movie with the SO if you both enjoy musicals. It should start getting more attention after sweeping every category it was nominated for in the Golden Globes.
RisarnChrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisarnChrno View Post
La La Land is good. Recommended date night movie with the SO if you both enjoy musicals. It should start getting more attention after sweeping every category it was nominated for in the Golden Globes.
I was really hoping to see Hacksaw Ridge get some more attention. Garfield did an awesome job as did Vince Vaughn (who stole every scene he was in but was not recognized at all). The action was perfectly paced though I thought the editing was a little sloppy. I might have cut out 10 minutes where we wait for the wounded to trickle in and then people to realize what is happening. Seemed like that took too long. Anyway.

I guess it is tainted by Mel Gibson's presence which is too bad because I tend to think Gibson has been done wrong by Lefty-wood who can neither forgive nor forget. The very fact that it was nominated at all in any category in spite of the hatred of him is a sign the movie was so good it couldn't be ignored.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
Azrael
Subscriber

I cant believe i still haven't managed to see Rogue One :/ dammit
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #6
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I think I'm the only one who didn't like Rogue One here. There wasn't a single character I cared for by the end of the movie. CGI was great and so was the set design, but the character development felt very stiff. Also, they had a wide open window to show Darth Vader in full glory and they barely put him in, what a waste of an opportunity. One of the best villains in history of cinema gets 2 minutes of screen time. They didn't even have to CGI his face ffs.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
I think I'm the only one who didn't like Rogue One here. There wasn't a single character I cared for by the end of the movie. CGI was great and so was the set design, but the character development felt very stiff. Also, they had a wide open window to show Darth Vader in full glory and they barely put him in, what a waste of an opportunity. One of the best villains in history of cinema gets 2 minutes of screen time. They didn't even have to CGI his face ffs.
It's not a bad film, it's just not great either. I enjoyed it and I thought it was better than Force Awakens, but it still missed the mark in feeling like it had that Star Wars magic. For example, I don't think I need to see it again and I feel the same way about Force Awakens. Meanwhile, I could watch Star Wars a thousand times and still get something out of it. And I'm one of those people who loves to watch movies over and over, so if I'm saying I'm not interested in seeing your movie a second time you screwed up somewhere.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
One of the best villains in history of cinema gets 2 minutes of screen time. They didn't even have to CGI his face ffs.
That was a terrible mistake and missed opportunity on their part. His moment(s) were so brief. Should have used him more. Still, that closing scene, though brief, was great!

I also agree I didn't really feel a connection with the characters. It was better than Force Awakens, but not a timeless classic. Competent. Entertaining. Done.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

rogue one is bloody fantastic, best sw film since empire and new hope. cant wait to get it on 3d blu.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

2 annoyances i found distracting....

1. stormtrooper armor is completely useless, yes its a fact in the sw lore but god damn give them some protection atleast

2. darth vader helmet looked chubby n stubby , i suppose they were going for consistency with ep4 but nah bad choice, should have just used the best looking vader from Ep5.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart